The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dodge and Cover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dodge and Cover Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Dodge and Cover Reply with quote

A player brought this up the other night. He felt that the extra dice from Cover added to the default difficulty. Then if a character were to do a Combat Dodge, it replaced the difficulty (including the extra roll for cover).

For example, Pirate is hiding around a pillar, +2D for Cover. He rolls a total of 4. The Rebel firing at him is Moderate range of 12 difficulty, add 4 for a total of 16 difficulty. Pirate is doing a Combat Dodge and has 4D Dodge skill. He rolls a 14 on his dodge. Does he get a total dodge of 14 or 18 (the extra 2D for cover)?

-shnar
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think your exemple is correct. Dodging behind cover has a much higher chance of success that just dodging all by yourself, so the cover bonus should be added to the dodge roll.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gry.
Assuming the dodging caracter will try to be more masked by the cover, that makes sense to add cover bonus to the dodge roll.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've always added the cover bonus to both the dodge and the difficulty to hit. +3 to the difficulty for every die of cover then if they dodge they also get to add the cover die to it. in our games cover is a good thing! besides if people are smart enough to use cover they are usually smart enough to duck behind it when shot at.
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I ruled, but I figured I should get a general consensus.

-shnar
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this a while back, and i was thinking with some 'areas of cover' how could one dodge if behind it...
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The justification I used was that if you're ducking up and down behind the cover, that's effectively dodging behind the cover. You get your dodge skill plus the cover mod. If you're just standing behind the cover, then it's the distance +cover mod (you're still partially covered). It didn't make any sense for me to think that just because I'm moving around (i.e. Dodging) that suddenly the cover is not there (i.e. don't get the cover bonus).

Just makes sense to me that it should be harder for someone to hit me if I was dodging behind an obstacle, than if I'm just dodging out in the open...

-shnar
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other advantage of using cover is if the character does end up taking a hit, the cover could add some dice to the STR roll to resist the damage.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But to m if you are using the cover to block incoming shots, how are you dodging around behind it?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But to m if you are using the cover to block incoming shots, how are you dodging around behind it?

I think the idea is getting your exposed parts behind cover and out of the line of fire. ie. If you're shooting around a corner, your head, arm and shoulder will all be exposed, the Dodge roll would be to get those bits back behind the corner before they're shot.

FightingCorsair wrote:
the other advantage of using cover is if the character does end up taking a hit, the cover could add some dice to the STR roll to resist the damage.

Nay. The cover adds a bonus to the difficulty to hit the character around it. The cover isn't being hit, the character is.
Where cover damage comes into play is when there is full cover or the attacker shoots the cover; in which case, the cover takes all the damage.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just sitting there behind cover, there's really no point in dodging, you are already covered, and it's just a matter of your covering resisting the attack's damage. I think what we are discussing here is dodging INTO cover, like quickly rising to take a shot and ducking back down behind a bar.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of those rules that depend on the situation. if you are using a building for cover you could dodge behind it, but if you use a tree 3/4 your size you get cover but not a dodge bonus. there are situations for every rule where the rule just doesn't make sense, just be fair in your ruling.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
this is one of those rules that depend on the situation. if you are using a building for cover you could dodge behind it, but if you use a tree 3/4 your size you get cover but not a dodge bonus. there are situations for every rule where the rule just doesn't make sense, just be fair in your ruling.

-Faces sideways behind a pole- You mean I won't get a dodge bonus for this!?! Evil or Very Mad <.<
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in a cartoon....
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you're playing a "Clone Wars" campaign, then it's ok?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: