The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Quick question about verpine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Quick question about verpine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Quick question about verpine Reply with quote

A thoguht just donned on me:

A Verpine gets a +2d to every technical skill. lets say that they get an advanced skill (starship engineering) which will add to the related pre-requisite roll (starship repair). does that bonus stack 2 times
Same would question apply to other races with inherent bonuses

For example

I have 5D in starship repair
and 1D in starship Engineering

If i roll a repair roll, i get to add Starship engineering (like medicine/first aid)

no bonus, i get 6D, ,with bonus, ,do i get 8D or 10D

yes, i know this is power gaming a bit, but i was just curious what the rules would say... Very Happy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I warn my players before making a Verpine character. I tell them if they're good, and I mean TOO good, then there will be a lot of people who want them on their side. They're likely to get captured by the Empire, Sith, or other faction, and forced to work for them.

You may be a tech wiz, but you can't fight off every bounty hunter in the galaxy with your starship engineering skill. That usually persuades them not to do a power-gamer move like the one you described.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't allow the stacking of bonuses like that. The species bonus is supposed to be applied to any Technical roll. If you're rolling Starship Repair with your (A) Engineering skill on top of it, you're still making just one roll, so you should only get one species bonus.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I certainly wouldn't allow the stacking of bonuses like that. The species bonus is supposed to be applied to any Technical roll. If you're rolling Starship Repair with your (A) Engineering skill on top of it, you're still making just one roll, so you should only get one species bonus.

this is my take as well. You're not making two rolls, here, you're making one roll that is modified, once by your racial bonus and again by your Advance skill. Since you're not specifically rolling the advance skill, it's being used as a modifier, not a skill, the racial bonus doesn't apply to it.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

Ah... gotcha. I misread the above post. But even still, this makes for some pretty uber rolls for the Verpine.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, it adds 2d to that one roll..
Maur
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically the Advanced skills aren't actually attached to any attribute, so the racial bonus wouldn't be used with them at all. However, when rolling something like your repair roll you are adding the advanced skill and the racial bonus to that one roll.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the beginning levels of advanced skills are not tied to a specific Attribute's level, those skills do fall under Attribute nonetheless. Oddly enough all the Advanced skills from R&E and Hideouts & Strongholds fit nicely under Technical. The Verpine description from GG 4 states they receive the bonus to all Tech skills.

No mention either for or against this bonus applying to Advanced skills appears in any book to my knowledge, so that would probably make a good house rule.

For my own games, I would allow the bonus for Advanced skills since by their nature, they are derived from basic skills present under the Technical Attribute, thus utilizing the same core principles.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

IMHO, if you only use the advanced skill, use the bonus normally.

If you roll 'Base Skill + Advanced Skill', add the bonus (once only)
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: