The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How many cubic meters for each 'ton' of cargo space?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> How many cubic meters for each 'ton' of cargo space?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: How many cubic meters for each 'ton' of cargo space? Reply with quote

Cut-off part of title - (drawing deckplans)
Currently I'm drawing up a bunch of deckplans for smaller ships, and that leads directly to the question of how many cubic meters to allocate for each ton of cargo capacity. Pretty much a self-explanatory question, but one I rather suspect there's not much agreement.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule of thumb is 1m^3 for every 2 metric tons of cargo. This assumes you’re hauling solid cargo, as 1m^3 of water is 1 metric ton.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR: I use 10 tons per 5' square on a grid.

That is based on averages on shipping and the types of storage one typical mixed use smaller transports (i.e. not huge vessels with large standardized cargo design).

Longer Version:
Like many status, the cargo limits on ships in most games are - a bit high.
Unless hauling stuff that is very dense and/or packed very very tight - cargo takes up a lot of space.

Also- you are correct about one thing - among gamers, there is not much agreement.... however - in shipping - there is.

A moderate weight for one pallet of cargo is about 1000lbs.
A heavy weight would be 2000lbs. But many can be more - A LOT MORE - shipping canned vegetables is more heavy than shipping cereal boxes or furniture (while heavy - furniture is large....). Scrap metal or fusion generators....a lot more.

So this can vary by cargo type /industry (I, like some others on the pit, have worked in logistics and transportation for years - shipping milk, meat and canned goods - that stuff is heavy. Shipping potato chips, toilet paper or apparel - lighter. But star wars is not "shipping simulator" so numbers that are averages - are close enough).

For more interesting reading;
https://woodrebirth.com/what-is-the-average-weight-of-a-pallet-of-freight/#Common_Weight_Ranges_of_Palletized_Freight

Going back to your question - I feel a cubic meter capacity is not as useful - well - because unless you are filling a bulk tank with water, gravel or grain - you never get to use most of an odd shaped cargo hold - especially the kind you see in game with ships that are designed to look cool over be efficient in design.

You could go into a ton of analysis on different cargo types, how they are packed - etc. But honestly - for our game of space wizards where most tramp freighters are carrying boxes or bulky things - I just use 10 tons per square on a map. (5' or 1.5m square).
JohnLydiaParker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced most light freighters are undersized (long story), and my current plan for a Baudo (currently sized at 38 meters; most plans greatly overestimate the amount of space forward) I can only summon up 22-28 square meters of floor space, perhaps a fifth or more of it at less then full deck height, and divided into two holds, a bit oddly shaped. (The 'reduced height' runs along the side, extends outward 1.5 m and perhaps 1.5 m high)

(Only 4 1.5 m square "pallets" total, plus two in the reduced height area. Plus 2 more meter square sized pallets in the full height and 4 in the reduced height, and cargo can be traded for up to 4 fully assembled speeder bikes due to exterior doors. Being able to load a small landspeeder or tiny airspeeder on either or both sides instead is within minor customization, and trading off some living space. (This is for a standard" yacht config with 35 tons of cargo; a typical smuggler/freighter conversion can easily add up about an additional 20 1.5m "pallets," or around 130+? cubic meters more by replacing some of the passenger quarters with a common area and turning the two "luxury blisters" to cargo.) (Single deck "flatter" end of the interpretation of its shape.)

Still, it's a yacht, so that might not be too much of a problem. Sound good enough?

Giving the YT-2400 the same upscale the Falcon received, I was able to fit 53 1.5m "pallets", perhaps 120-140 square meters of floor space, and around 300-350 cubic meters, depending on the how high the decks are and where. Would that make it too much of an upscale?
(10 tons per pallet sounds pretty dense...)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the www button at the bottom of my post. It links to my Google Drive, where I have a pretty extensive collection of deckplans, including one for the Baudo.

ThrorII
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tramp Freighters states a stock light freighter can hold 100 tons and has 40 m3 of cargo space.

That yields 2.5 tons per m3.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThrorII wrote:
Tramp Freighters states a stock light freighter can hold 100 tons and has 40 m3 of cargo space.

That yields 2.5 tons per m3.

IIRC, that was in 1E Tramp Freighters. Later books revised it to 2 tons per m^3 (in either Pirates & Privateers or The Far Orbit Project).

Of course, 1E did have a chart that broke down weight/m^3 depending on what sort of cargo you were hauling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: