The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combining piloting skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combining piloting skills Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own house rule leaves them as separate skills, but allows up to half to bleed over for all starfighter scale piloting depending on similarity. I set similarity.

Example, an A-wing pilot with 7D in A-wing piloting but only 3D Mechanical would get a 5D if he jumped into the cockpit of a V-wing, but would only get a 3D+2 if he got behind the controls of a YT1300. Still better than an untrained pilot, but limited.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padme being "major" is arguable, I think. Nevertheless, she's not a "pilot" by any stretch of the imagination, IMO.

Though what I was really trying to say was that it seems like space transports is a "common" skill, while starfighter piloting is a military-like skill.

A regular person would have no issue "operating" a race car: it the same controls. Likewise, a regular "pilot" should be able to fly any ship. The knowledge, IMO, id transferrable.

But an actual figuter pilot or racecar driver would have higher skills because they are trained to execute difficult maneuvers that require a high level of skill. A regular person uses the same skill, but rolls to few dice to be likely to succeed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's about limiting it to what your 'profession is'.. Mil types get fighter piloting, all else IF they have one, its transport ops.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that could work. I'm not so concerned with the final ruling, but more just putting in my $0.02 in case it brings a point of view that someone finds relevant to the decision criteria.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game I'll be testing this in is this Saturday. If we get to the Space part of the adventure I'll let you guys know how it goes.
D+1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I work as a truck driver, and with four years experience under my belt, I think garhkal has it right. Driving a truck may seem superficially similar to driving a car, but there is a world of a difference practically speaking. It requires a completely different set of instincts, and just because someone is good at driving a car is no guarantee they can transfer that same skill to driving a big rig. Not without a lot of training, at least.

I drove a truck for 20 years and I approve this post. Driving 15-20 tons of 8.5' wide, 60'long, 18-wheel tractor-trailer down the highway at 55mph is NOT the same skill as driving a mere 3500# of Porsche 911 down that same highway. Driving the truck requires much more skill. Even driving the truck at a mere 55 probably still requires more skill than driving the Porsche at 110.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I'm suggesting difficulty modifiers on the vehicles. A tractor trailer would get, I don't know, a +10 modifier. But having the specialty negates the modifier.

So you've got ground vehicles at 5D. You are better at most vehicles than a professional driver (4D).

You want to drive a Chevy Impala that has no modifier. With an average roll of 15-20, you are constantly pulling difficult maneuvers with no trouble.

You want to drive The Big Rig. The Big Rig has a +10 modifier. Now you can only pull off easy maneuvers with certainty.

Once you specialize in Tractor Trailers, the modifier goes away. With Ground Vehicles: Tractor Trailers 5D+1 you're now specialized in the skill, which eliminates the modifier. You're rolling 16-21 now.

Does that make sense?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean. I think the issue from the perspective of the CDL holders is the specific knowledge required to safely and seuccessfull (and legally) operat a 20-ton machine relative to a 1.5 ton machine that was designed for mass consumption.

I saw a video wherein Allison transmissions was advertizing their new tech, and the put a woman with no xp as a truck driver behind the wheel against truck driving vets in a drag race. She won the race with the new auto trans against truckers using traditional manual transmissions.

The basic skill of operating any motor vehicle is transferrable, IMO. Its the skill level (and maneuverability bonus/penalty) that makes something easier or harder to drive.

In the case of a big rig, Id go for an advanced skill that offsets maneuverability penalties or some such. In amycase, Id say that a starfigjter is more analogous to a race car, while a transport is analogous to a van or pickup truck, IF we are playing in a setting where the "middle class" has private means of interstellar travel.
D+1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piloting a light freighter like the Falcon is still going to be different enough from piloting an Xwing that it makes sense to me for them to be different skills. Even though their sizes aren't orders of magnitude of difference and much of the skills are the same/transferable, it's still different enough. An unfamiliarity penalty when trying to use one skill in place of the other is sensible enough as there will be SOME crossover.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I saw a video wherein Allison transmissions was advertizing their new tech, and the put a woman with no xp as a truck driver behind the wheel against truck driving vets in a drag race. She won the race with the new auto trans against truckers using traditional manual transmissions.

I just switched to a 12-speed automatic after four years on a 10-speed manual. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up.

Quote:
In the case of a big rig, Id go for an advanced skill that offsets maneuverability penalties or some such. In any case, Id say that a starfighter is more analogous to a race car, while a transport is analogous to a van or pickup truck, IF we are playing in a setting where the "middle class" has private means of interstellar travel.

A better analogy, IMO, would be fighter plane vs. cargo plane, at least insofar as handling characteristics. The social and economic aspects of access to various kinds of starship certainly change the dynamic, but the basic difficulties of operation would be much closer.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did not get to the space portion. We only got through the first mission I had planned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: