The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sith swords taking someone over
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Sith swords taking someone over
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Sith swords taking someone over Reply with quote

During one of the breaks between sessions at Origins, i was talking over with one of my fellow sparks players about tainted and other "Sith" stuff, and how there seems to be a lot of stuff, but none that really 'emulates' Intelligent swords' like in ADND, and whether they would think it would be good if such a sword (or other item) existed that stood a chance of taking over a PC (similar to ADND, a contest of wills)...

A) would you let something like that in
B) what mechanic(s) would you put on it
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back, Savar asked about something similar. We ended up coming up with an idea of a Force Sensitive Shard being forcibly incorporated into a Sith Sword...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vulture811
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought sith alchemy could trap spirits in objects ?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulture811 wrote:

That it's a thought also.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulture811 wrote:

Sith spirits could also willingly link themselves to an object. IIRC, that was how they managed to avoid fading away after physical death...

tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
vulture811 wrote:

Sith spirits could also willingly link themselves to an object. IIRC, that was how they managed to avoid fading away after physical death...

Objects or places.

Jedi often did the same but included their family lines in on it *chuckle* pervs.

Sith spirit would be better IMO as they have a better chance of real "possession of the person who takes hold of the object - I've had it happen with a sith holocron before - fool jedi tried to invoke the spirit from it - got zapped by force lightning till unconscious - then failed the resist roll of the Sith's Possession action by over 10 with a 1 on the wild. Sith had a new body - sure a pesky little voice in his (now her) head to - but still.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would you run it for whether a sith sword (or holocron) that has a spirit in it, can possess a target?
Must the target be knocked out before possession can happen?
Would it be a contest of wills (willpower) or perception vs control?
If a PC gets taken over, is it an either OR thing, or once control happens, does the PC get to make 'periodic' rolls to push the possessing spirit out?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I probably wouldnt allow at all. The closest Id probably go is to give require the PC to male a willpower check in each combat. Failure results in succumbing to fear/anger/rage and gets a darkside point. Of course, with the darkside point also comes a bonus to attack rolls or force skill rolls, etc.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I posted my DSP rules that gradually took control of the character. The DSPs worked as opposite test vs willpower (or Control) at appropirate situations where the actions of the character (or stress) prompted the GM to require a test. If failed hatred and aggression could temporarily take control of the character, forcing his actions to violence.

One character once wielded two items from a dark jedi. I lightsaber and a 'Power amulet' (+1D Alter). Having the items didnt give automatic DSPs, but while wielding them the character counted as having +2DSP when taking tests to resist the urge of the dark side..

This, in a way, could represent the character being taken over by a sword, just give it a higher DSP 'will' so to speak..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
A few years back I posted my DSP rules that gradually took control of the character. The DSPs worked as opposite test vs willpower (or Control) at appropriate situations where the actions of the character (or stress) prompted the GM to require a test. If failed hatred and aggression could temporarily take control of the character, forcing his actions to violence..

I went looking for this a while back and couldn't find it. Can you post the link?

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think this is the latest version, but cant find my rules right now. The part about the Dark Side taking gradual control is correct though..

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2929&highlight=dsp

I think someone on the forum had their own rules about how to turn to the dark side, which I added to the above rules (so the 'roll 2D instead of 1D to check if you turn' is gone).

Edit: Ah, the 'new' rules I borrowed are at the end of the thread.. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: