The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Nova Drive 3-Z questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Nova Drive 3-Z questions.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Nova Drive 3-Z questions. Reply with quote

Hey all, new guy here looking for some advice/ opinions.

The 3-Z light freighter came to my attention latley, it was based on the old YT-1200 design.

My question is, if a 3-Z is based on a CEC design could YT series, or even YV series parts be used to repair or upgrade a ship? Im personally in favour of it, but I guess I wanted to discuss this with you folks. Theres no discussion on this matter although thete are reams on YT-1300s, naturally.

Also, according to the Alliance Deckplans website, the 3-Z has a Decentralised hyperdrive. What I gather is theres no designated main or backup drives. Both being activared gives a Multiplyer of X2, but if only one is active its X15.

If one was to upgrade the hyperdrive, should you upgrade both or should you alter the systems so it becomes a standard main drive and backup system?

Thanks folks, hope I have been clear in my use of terminology.

Will G
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always gone with both need to be replaced cause of that linking up they do.
AS to part cross over.. Yes, but i always had it at a +3-5 modifier to the diff #.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, yeah.

So if the specs say main X2 Backup X15 , if mpdified to X1 for main does baclup increase too? How much?
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive typos, btw . Bumpy road, on a bus lol.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, willg! Smile
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Drive 3-Z questions. Reply with quote

willg wrote:
Hey all, new guy here looking for some advice/ opinions.

The 3-Z light freighter came to my attention latley, it was based on the old YT-1200 design.

My question is, if a 3-Z is based on a CEC design could YT series, or even YV series parts be used to repair or upgrade a ship? Im personally in favour of it, but I guess I wanted to discuss this with you folks. Theres no discussion on this matter although thete are reams on YT-1300s, naturally.

Also, according to the Alliance Deckplans website, the 3-Z has a Decentralised hyperdrive. What I gather is theres no designated main or backup drives. Both being activared gives a Multiplyer of X2, but if only one is active its X15.

If one was to upgrade the hyperdrive, should you upgrade both or should you alter the systems so it becomes a standard main drive and backup system?

Thanks folks, hope I have been clear in my use of terminology.
Will G

Short answer: It's your game do whatever you like!

Long Answer: I'm really dubious of RADP's arguements since some of them seem to be based on semantics, they seem to thing the word "stretching" only applies to changes in length. The whole dispersed hyperdrive thing is just their theory that they seem to have come up with on their own with no mention made of it in any of the official descriptions of the 3-Z. On top of that it seems foolish of Nova Drive wanting to cash in on the reputation of the YT series to make a design change that would make it more likely to break down ("GAME NOTES: This ship is equipped with a decentralized hyperdrive system. If both units are in working order, the ship has a hyperdrive rating of X2. If only one of these units is working, the ship functions at its backup speed of X15."). All of the replacment hyperdrives in Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Frieghters are stand alone units including the ones made to be used only as backup hyperdrives. IMO that would also apply to the issue of parts it would not be a prime selling point if the ship was not cross/backwards compatible with CEC, especially since CEC/YT series parts would be some of the most common on the market.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and yes I concur on what you said. I do love Galaxy guide 6, and it certainly comes in handy.

The appeal of the Nova Drive 3-Z is its a bit different, not as common as the Yt-1300 yet linked to it, by lineage.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willg wrote:
Right, yeah.

So if the specs say main X2 Backup X15 , if mpdified to X1 for main does baclup increase too? How much?

I'd prob drop it to x10 or x12.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, yeah, its STILL double figures but its low double figures. Excellent. Thanks folks.
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in process of Specing out my 3-Z, perhaps in an idealised fashion. I have found the Alliance Deckplans layouts useful and preferrable to the one from Stock Ships, which im taking to be a rough draft.

I am also pleased that by modifying the interior, according to the Alliance Deckplans, it is pissible to increase the cargo capacity by modifying the interior from 150 tons to 200.
This has allowed some capacity for upgrades without cutting into cargo space tool much
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that most of the ships in the SWU have some form of distributed drive system, at least for sublight. Having something similar for a hyperdrive is not outside the realm of possibility. A while back I worked on a concept for a Build-Your-Own-Stardrive Chart, with the idea being that you started with a basic, generic drive type (speed, cost, availability & weight) to which you then applied descriptive templates to flesh out the drive. In this case, a distributed drive would (IMO) increase the difficulty to modify the drive by 1 level (as you have to make multiple modifications rather than just one) but reduce any engine damage by 1 level (damage to one of multiple drives will be less critical than it would if the ship only had one drive to damage).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: