The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Here's a good one:"Sell me on Playing" says player
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Here's a good one:"Sell me on Playing" says player Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Here's a good one:"Sell me on Playing" says player Reply with quote

So 95% of the group is down with playing D6 SW. Except for this one jerk who will not play. He loves the movies and the novels, but his stance to me is

"well unless you play a jedi, its not worth playing. All the other types (he said classes) suck."

So I said there is plenty of things other characters can do that a Jedi can't. Sure a Jedi is powerful, but can he pick a lock? Can he smooth talk that chick for the information the group needs? Can he track that run away prisoner you have to bring back?

Just wondering if anyone has run into a player like this and what did you say to "sell the game" to them.

Thanks!

Lord Nikon
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for these reasons that I generally don't do mixed groups. I either do all jedi or no jedi. In a group of all non-jedi, no one sucks cause everyone doesn't have the force. With these types of situations, I try to sell the story rather than a particular class or role.

Also, I would bring up that Han Solo doesn't suck, he doesn't have a lick of force sensitivity. Han is a bad@ss, he's an awesome pilot, an awesome shot, and an all around smooth talking scoundrel.

I have in my experience, had players who insisted on playing a Sith in a group of all Jedi. *shudders at the memory*

It didn't end well, but the player only ever wanted to play the same thing in every RPG. He wanted to play a wizard who threw death. Jedi don't normally do that, so he wasn't interested in the game. I let him play his Sith, and all he ended up doing was irritating everyone at the gaming table. In his initial encounter the veteran player who'd been playing her character for some time ended up cutting off his hand shortly after they met.

The moral of the story is: There are some players not worth selling the game to.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly I've done all Jedi or no Jedi. So I can't speak as to what it's like running mixed groups. But anyone who says "anything but Jedi suck" has never played a fringe campaign.

Look, I'm going to be writing a small fringe campaign, and I'm hoping to have the first draft in a couple of weeks. If you want a sneak preview, I can send it along. Tell them that you'll do just a short introductory campaign and call it quits after that. If you can get the jerk to agree, then he's only in for four sessions. If he still doesn't like it, then at least there's a terminus in sight.
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Mostly I've done all Jedi or no Jedi. So I can't speak as to what it's like running mixed groups. But anyone who says "anything but Jedi suck" has never played a fringe campaign.

Look, I'm going to be writing a small fringe campaign, and I'm hoping to have the first draft in a couple of weeks. If you want a sneak preview, I can send it along. Tell them that you'll do just a short introductory campaign and call it quits after that. If you can get the jerk to agree, then he's only in for four sessions. If he still doesn't like it, then at least there's a terminus in sight.

Sure. I'd love to see it. Anything will help.

Its funny. I've never had this problem until this group with this guy. And the games I've run in the past always had one Jedi in the mixed group and the group did fine with the combo. Sure they often looked to the Jedi for a leader role, but the player played it smart and just kept quiet and helped only when needed to not over shadow other players.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
He wanted to play a wizard who threw death.
Heck, 2/3 of my former characters were normal humans who threw death. God created man, but Mose Blastech made them equal.

Complete Starship Construction System
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Laughing

Thanks for that Fallon. It almost got rid of the horrid memories.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is a good one. "Sell me on Playing" Says Reply with quote

Lord Nikon wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has run into a player like this and what did you say to "sell the game" to them.
Often on the internetz, never in person. Based on the internetz version their mind is pre-made up and you can't sell them on a different point of view - and it's a waste of breath/ink to try.

In our group we've had two groups that had no force users and three groups with force users. The three force user groups were mixed groups with 1-2 force users and 2-4 non force users. In my experience mixing works fine as long as the players are ok with concepts like taking turns and sharing - i.e. they are willing and able to give each other turns in the spot light. Taking turns and sharing works more easily when the Jedi are low to medium power level i.e. with Force skills that are no higher than 5D or 6D. At high power levels it is very hard according to the RAW for non-force users to keep up in combat - and possibly in other areas.

Lord Nikon wrote:
"well unless you play a jedi, its not worth playing. All the other types (he said classes) suck."
Can you let him play a beginning Jedi?
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is a good one. "Sell me on Playing" Says Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Yes. I offered him the Jedi character, after another player in the group gave it up in good faith for the group so we could play.

He accepted. I know he will abuse it.

Little does he know the Jedi will be very low powered and since we are playing in a "dark times" campaign... he will see what happens if he decides to start using that saber and force powers too often.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's in for a big surprise. Starting Jedi in D6 get hammered on, because they lose attribute dice for the force. They start out weaker and eventually shine. There is much delayed gratification.

My only character that has every outright died was a starting Jedi. First campaign. He took a blaster bolt to the chest and that was it. No lightsaber combat, no armor, not a high enough dodge. Toast.
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
He's in for a big surprise. Starting Jedi in D6 get hammered on, because they lose attribute dice for the force. They start out weaker and eventually shine. There is much delayed gratification.

My only character that has every outright died was a starting Jedi. First campaign. He took a blaster bolt to the chest and that was it. No lightsaber combat, no armor, not a high enough dodge. Toast.

Yikes. What a way to die.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is a good one. "Sell me on Playing" Says Reply with quote

Lord Nikon wrote:
Bren wrote:

Yes. I offered him the Jedi character, after another player in the group gave it up in good faith for the group so we could play.

Little does he know the Jedi will be very low powered and since we are playing in a "dark times" campaign... he will see what happens if he decides to start using that saber and force powers too often.

There are also plenty of suggestions on this forum as to how to make the lives of Force users more difficult. I particularly like garhkal's Distrubance in the Force rules, which bring stormtroopers, Inquisitors, Jedi hunters, and ultimately Darth Vader to investigate distrubances in the Force caused by high dice rolls of Force skills.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is a good one. "Sell me on Playing" Says Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
There are also plenty of suggestions on this forum as to how to make the lives of Force users more difficult. I particularly like garhkal's Distrubance in the Force rules, which bring stormtroopers, Inquisitors, Jedi hunters, and ultimately Darth Vader to investigate distrubances in the Force caused by high dice rolls of Force skills.

Yup, this is what I was saying... wait till he starts using those things... You know soon as he uses a force power, Vader is sure to know something is up.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is a good one. "Sell me on Playing" Says Reply with quote

Lord Nikon wrote:
I offered him the Jedi character, after another player in the group gave it up in good faith for the group so we could play.

I'd just kill him with a security droid or something. As everyone else pointed out, beginning Jedi are the Daphne of your Star Wars Scooby Gang. If a 10,000 credit guard bot with a grenade mortar blows him up, and his compatriots are left unscathed, maybe he'll start to understand that this game is fairly carefully balanced.

I doubt he'll learn that there are other choices than Jedi if his is killed by a dark Jedi.

Complete Starship Construction System
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egads. Sounds like a loot/power-grab type player- one only insterested in playing for what he can accumulate (a very video game mentality vs. a 'play the role' roleplaying mentality.) If you figure out a way to sell him, let me know- I'd like to try to wean my two 'in it for the acquisitions' players with it. : wink :

One thing that other players can do that a Jedi can't is 'not be an intellectually dishonest, hypocritical, deus-ex-machina superpowered overly-used, overly-explored, sick-to-death-of-their-sanctimonius-self-righteous-arrogant-faces annoying stock character'- but then, Jedi portrayed the OT way instead of the Prequel way can acheive that, too.
Still, a kernel of seriousness amid the snark- just like in the Prequel films, Fan Films, and numerous other areas, the other 99.9% of the galaxy are incredibly underexplored (minus the exploration that WEG has done, of course!) Jedi are largely all the same, well-explored, well-known, and these days, all of largely the same stoic persona. Playing as another character offers an opportunity to explore and portray character types, parts of the galaxy, situations, and archetypes unexplored in the films and even in many of the books- a chance to delve deeper, with characters that themselves tend to be deeper than their Jedi counterparts- that may be a selling point, depending on the individual's personality.

Raven Redstar wrote:

Same here. Until massive CP are thrown into the character, Jedi can actually be the weakest... well, next to droids and Sullustans.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
I'd just kill him with a security droid or something...If a 10,000 credit guard bot with a grenade mortar blows him up, and his compatriots are left unscathed, maybe he'll start to understand that this game is fairly carefully balanced.
I really wouldn't advocate killing his character. His Jedi way or the highway attitude to D6 is an out-of-game preference/bias/problem not an in-game problem and you can't solve out-of-game problems with in-game responses. He's far more likely to conclude the GM is a d_ck than he is to re-evaluate his assessment of what's fun to play in D6.

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
Same here. Until massive CP are thrown into the character, Jedi can actually be the weakest... well, next to droids and Sullustans.
You're dissing Sullustans...and you're a Lepus... Shocked Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: