The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Energy or physical damage??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Energy or physical damage?? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Energy or physical damage?? Reply with quote

Would a flame thrower be considered physical damage for armor purposes or energy? Would Jedi be able to absorb/dissipate it??

What about Engine wash?
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamethrowers i could see being based upon regular damage, but at maybe one scale up.

You actually sprayed someone with engine wash, spaceships engine wash.... >_>...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it did happen in game.... character being chased by 30 or so stormies, got in their ship, lifted it on repulsors and waited until they came in the door, and kicked in the main engines (open top bay)...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamethrowers, as well as any fire or flame damage, should be counted as energy. Fire is an exothermic chemical reaction (produces more heat and energy than it uses) but still requires heat and/or energy to start or perpetuate. This also means that a Jedi could absorb/dissipate it, but it would work just as for absorbing/dissipating blaster bolts, lightsabers, and supernovas (damage affects difficulty).
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamethrowers = energy attack
Agreed

Engine wash: I'd say both. Energy for burns, but a chance of getting blasted across the room with some physical damage.
netjedi
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto for me on Argamoth's response Very Happy

That would be a funny site wouldn't it? 30 BBQ'd stormies all over the docking back all broken and thrown about. it would be like something out of an old Road Runner cartoon.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had quite a few new folks on the site since this thread was put up.

So for all you new folk, what do you say?
Is a flame thrower (or napalm) energy damage or physical damage?
If energy, is it treated like say a blaster bolt for absorb/disapate?
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Energy.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, to me I'd view it as energy, and would allow a Jedi to Absorb/Dissipate it.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, both flames and engine wash should be energy, generally speaking.

But here's another thought I had. I assume when you ask whether flames should be physical or energy, you are really asking "if I'm wearing armor, do I apply the physical damage protection value or the energy protection value?" From that perspective, here's something else to think about.

A blaster bolt produces a tiny explosion on impact, and therefore its damage is a combination of extreme heat and kinetic force.

With that in mind, you could quite justifiably conclude that the addition of the extreme heat (non-kinetic energy) is what makes it do more damage than a projectile alone. On this basis, you should only get the armor's energy protection amount.

On the other hand, you could also conclude that the blaster is more effective than a projectile because of the combination of heat and kinetic force. Because the blaster does two forms of damage, and the projectile only does one, the blaster is more effective. From this perspective, you could likewise conclude that a blaster is also more effective than a purely non-kinetic energy weapon like a flamethrower. Therefore, even though the flamethrower does energy damage, you might still use the physical protection value of the armor on the basis that a weapon without a kinetic energy component is less effective than a blaster (and therefore easier to resist).

To simplify, I'm suggesting that, alternatively, you could interpret what is listed as the "physical" protection value on the armor as being the protection against an attack that does a single type of damage (energy or kinetic), and treat the "energy" protection value on the armor as being the protection against an attack that does both types of damage (energy AND kinetic).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehlin Yew wrote:
Flamethrowers i could see being based upon regular damage, but at maybe one scale up.

You actually sprayed someone with engine wash, spaceships engine wash.... >_>...

Ive done this in play before. GM ruled on the fly: 7D energy damage. Instantly killed the enemy.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
We have had quite a few new folks on the site since this thread was put up.

So for all you new folk, what do you say?
Is a flame thrower (or napalm) energy damage or physical damage?
If energy, is it treated like say a blaster bolt for absorb/disapate?

Given that Absorb/dissipate can be used to protect against sunburn, I'd rule that a flame thrower is energy damage and that it can be absorbed/dissipated by a Jedi.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Yeah, to me I'd view it as energy, and would allow a Jedi to Absorb/Dissipate it.

If jedi could do so, why did Mace Windu, one of the most powerful jedi in the old order, leap away and toss his cloak, rather than ab/dis the flamer that Jango fett hit him with?

Naaman wrote:
Kehlin Yew wrote:

Ive done this in play before. GM ruled on the fly: 7D energy damage. Instantly killed the enemy.

IIRC when we did it, the DM gave me either 7 or 8d for damage too.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He couldn't do Absorb/Dissipate because of MAPs. He was using his lightsaber to parry multiple blaster shots from an oncoming battle droids, then had to contend with the flamethrower attack from Mango Fett. Just because Absorb/Dissipate can be used doesn't mean it is easy.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps because it generally takes time and concentration to use the power, which would have been impractical at the time (?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: