The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jedi with cybernetics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Jedi with cybernetics? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Jedi with cybernetics? Reply with quote

I recently put my hand through a force/disruptor field and gave myself a mortally wounded hand. My friendly game master is going to let me try for surgery to get it working at 100%. But with surgery there is alwasy a risk of screwing up.

So you never know if I have to go for a cybernetic replacement. Any Jedi out there with cybernetics? How do you play your Jedi once you part machine?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybernetics may bring the risk of cyber points. Cyber points can interfeer with a Jedi using the Force and can grant twice the number of DSP A character with cybernetics must roll 1D, if the result is higher than the total number of cyber points then they can use the Force no sweat. Equal to or lower than their cyber points then they can't use the Force that round.

Wanted Poster
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternate rule for cybernetics is that replacements count as 1/2 a point and an enhancement counts as a whole point.

The table for how this works can be found here.

So a replacement hand that just functions as a normal hand with no upgrades (Similar to the one Luke Skywalker had) counts as half a point and is rounded down to nothing.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
The alternate rule for cybernetics is that replacements count as 1/2 a point and an enhancement counts as a whole point.

The table for how this works can be found here.

So a replacement hand that just functions as a normal hand with no upgrades (Similar to the one Luke Skywalker had) counts as half a point and is rounded down to nothing.

Thanks for the link. So would a Swiss army knife constitute an upgrade?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Jedi can use anything that is not part of his body without penalty. they can wear full combat armor and use a blaster no problem. it is just when their flesh is replaced by machine that issues come up.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I'm sooooo investing in one of those.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my group we have a Jedi who got a bad case of blaster bolt allergy and had to have some of his internal organs replaced with cybernetic ones. I gave him a cyber point for that. One thing I decided was that, to speed things up, I would make away with the extra 1D he should roll with every force use to see if he's able to "connect with the Force" and instead consider his normal Wild Die to have that function. So, with 1 cyber point, if he rolls a 1 on the Wild Die, his Force action fails, even if the rest of his dice are great and the action is Very Easy. This doesn't chance anything from the rules as written, only simplifies the process.

The fun thing was that the player was unaware of this Cyber Point mechanic, and I decided to build a whole adventure around the character coming to terms with his condition. At one point he had to make one of those routine Very Easy force checks and rolled a 1 on the Wild Die. Even though his roll was well beyond the difficulty I told him his character failed and suddenly felt completely severed from the Force. He was confused and angry. And tried to understand throughout the adventure what was happening to him. He concocted theories about dark Jedi influencing him and whatnot, but eventually the character realized the awful truth that he was no longer "whole", and therefore his connection to the Force was now tainted. It was all very poignant and effective.

And this mechanic actually helped the game quite a lot, cause now there are no longer those "can't miss" Force rolls. He ALWAYS has a 1/6 chance of failing even the most basic tasks.

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story. I wish I had seen his face when he failed his rolls. Very Happy Nothing I would like to be subjected to, but the rule seems easy and sound.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I could well see that happening a lot when no experienced Jedi are around to tell us newbies about the hazzard of cyberware Wink
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allays thought the cyber points thing was a little silly. Because if it were so Darth Vader would be a tremendous wus that should not even be thought about twice let alone feared through out the galaxy. I mean how many cyber points must the guy have, at least 6 so with the d6 roll for connection to the force he would auto fail every time, right?
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancil wrote:
I allays thought the cyber points thing was a little silly. Because if it were so Darth Vader would be a tremendous wus that should not even be thought about twice let alone feared through out the galaxy. I mean how many cyber points must the guy have, at least 6 so with the d6 roll for connection to the force he would auto fail every time, right?

Unless the dark side isn't affected by cybernetics.

What about organic transplants?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[lancil]
I allays thought the cyber points thing was a little silly. Because if it were so Darth Vader would be a tremendous wus that should not even be thought about twice let alone feared through out the galaxy. I mean how many cyber points must the guy have, at least 6 so with the d6 roll for connection to the force he would auto fail every time, right? [/quote]

Instead of a fail mechanic, subtract the Cyberpoints from the number of dice you roll for Force skills. The increased chance of failure would be reflected by the lower effective dice codes.

That would do the job without introducing a new game mechanic. It will also reflect how Vader's connection to the Force was weaken by all the cybernetics.

And maybe each cyberpoint could cost 1 FP, too.
Kira Firestorm
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Darth Vadar would have close to about 10 Cyber Points with the parts he has replaced.

In our game we just dont worry about that rule as it is silly. I mean my character has 4 Psyber Points from having a Motion Interface Package and Hi-fold sensore Package with a Sub-vocal Communicator.

Reason being she was a Specforce Infiltrator before she trained as a Jedi.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the contact with the machine that severs the force? You don't get any penalty from just missing an arm do you? So what if you removed the limb when you wanted to use the force?

I still wonder what would happen if I transplanted a rancor arm instead of installing cybernetics.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind the cyber points is an extra, 1st edition rule with some 2e rework... it's not a core rule and not necessarily applicable.

In terms of cybernetic replacements, such as your hand, you don't even have to consider it. It's too minor to be of any influence whatsoever.

Lancil wrote:

As mentioned, the mechanic is a little flawed... but it DOES have some basis in the Star Wars narrative. Both Vader and Lumiya are heavily machine, and within the narrative, both have had their connection to the Force reduced, preventing them from ever reaching their full potential. Both are/were still quite powerful, but they were hindered in their access to the Force. Their raw affinity for the Force is the only reason they were able to become as powerful as they were, but if they were not cyborgs their power would have been greater.

True, the mechanic presented in the game rules doesn't quite match what we see in the films/books/comic/shows... but no mechanic quite does, Force related or not.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: