The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alien Species stat limits?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Alien Species stat limits? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Alien Species stat limits? Reply with quote

I know various alien species have minimum and maximum stats listed, but were those hard coded, or just for NPCs? I always ruled that PCs never had a max below 4D, so that if someone wanted to play a Rodian or a Twi'Lek, they wouldn't be gimped. I don't have my books here at work, and I'm trying to figure out if there was any official ruling regarding the difference between PCs and average members of the species.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with any rule, they are guidelines... but, yes, the maximums are just that, maximums. It is possible to go beyond a species maximum, but that should be done though normal character advancement via character points after creation; the rules on increasing beyond species maximum are covered in the rules.

To remove the species maximums kills the flavour of playing that species. Part of taking a different species aside from the potential cultural differences, is the fact that they are physically different, with different inherent levels of aptitude in the six attributes. Ignoring that, you're ignoring what it is to play as that species... You're also offering special abilities without giving the players any kind of drawback for taking them. For races without special abilities, why bother if you're going to equalize their stats anyway, why not just play human or funny looking human?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximums are there for a reason, and are for both NPCs and PCs. I don't feel that one could consider a PC "gimped" when he has a lower maximum than a Human. Especially when you consider that that species usually has higher maximums in other attributes. And for those species with less than 12D of attribute dice (Twi'leks, for example), don't forget that you get to make up the difference in starting skill dice. I feel that if I get hung up on the maximum dice not being high enough, I'm avoiding some roleplaying and focusing too much on rollplaying, if you get what I'm saying.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12D strating dice is what the average member of that race has. Because you're playing the 'hero' you get an additonal 6D, because you are meant to be slightly better then average.

So as the others have said, the species max is the genetic best for that race, unless they train extra hard, and the pc pays the cp cost to break the max.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximum is the max for the average adult of that species. It's fairly simple to increase up to the max for attributes while gaming and gets a little more complicated when going beyond the max. I just posted the following recently in the general discussions thread of the Rebel Uprisings PbP

Hellcat wrote:
Ok, looks like as long as you're not going past the max for any attribute (in a Human's case that's 4D for all the attributes), it costs 10 times the number of D in CPs to advance an attribute by one pip and takes one week per CP spent with a teacher (2 weeks without a teacher(. So if Cal wanted to improve Technical from 3D+2 to 4D it would cost 30 CP and take thirty weeks as long as he can get a teacher with Technical 4D and up.

Couse the good thing is increasing an attribute also increases all the skills under that attribute by one pip as well, just as long as their not advanced skills.

But if you're going above the max, then you spend ten times the number in front of the attributes D and you have to roll the new attribute vs the max attribute for that species. In Cal's case, if he gets any attribute to 4D and wants to to go up to 4D+1, you roll 4D+1 and hope you get equal to or less than Jamfke's 4D roll. You roll higher than Jamfke's roll, Cal's attribute doesn't increase and he gets back half the CP he spent to attempt to go past the max.

Wanted Poster
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy that for alien species where it's balanced, but if you look at Rodians, they have two skills that go above the human average, by +2 and +1 respectively, and all their other skills below the human maximum, and they get no special abilities in compensation. Technical and Mechanical are both below 3D, even. I'll accept that it's the official rule, but I think I'll keep house ruling a more human like range, at least for player characters who pick species that don't have any corresponding special abilities to compensate. As long as my players don't have a problem with each other, I think I'll be fine.

Edit: If I was trying to do a stereotypical Rodian Bounty Hunter, combat intensive, the defaults would be fine, but this came up in trying to make a non-combatant techie type in the RPG.net forums. I seem to have the guy who runs WEG on my side, so at least I can't be too far off the mark.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, WEG Star Wars is not built with 1:1 balance in mind, like WoTC d20, or other level based systems. Yeah, bonuses and detriments don't always balance. Aliens are built with their stats to represent what that species is good at, or not so good at, not to make sure that all is fair on a one to one basis.

If a species is "gimped", well, who says that the offended player has to play it? If you don't want stat penalties, don't play that species. For those who are interested in playing a Rodian, to portray being a Rodian, not just a funny looking human, they'll be willing to take the hit to stats to have that cultural/personality flavour for their character.
Using your example of a non-combat Rodian: Yeah, he's going to be weaker than a human in his chosen field... but that's part of the fun; weak for a human, but... he's NOT a human Razz Breaking the stereotypical mold for a species can be a lot of fun, and it should be a challenge, both in terms of how they relate to the galaxy and in trying to make it in a field that, racially, he's not necessarily suited to (ie. weaker stats)

I also think that balancing out weaker stats to make them equal to a human's takes away a lot of the flavour that is Star Wars, and its varied, unbalanced setting. That some are weak and some are strong is an important aspect to the Star Wars universe, that is preserved within its unbalanced system.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Aliens are built with their stats to represent what that species is good at, or not so good at, not to make sure that all is fair on a one to one basis.

Which is why we don't see too many Jawa gladiators or Gamorrean slicers- when we do, it's because individuals overcame the tendencies of their species/culture/etc. In other words, they managed to succeed at something despite having low levels of the relevant attributes. One thing the West End Games writers didn't do - for better or worse - is really compare the attribute ranges and other traits for the various aliens.

With that in mind, however, there are some aliens that simply outclass others. A good example to go with Rodians is Quarrens ... am I allowed to post their WEG stats here, or are there copyright issues with that? To summarize it: Quarrens have equal or higher maximums than Rodians in all attributes (for example- 4D+2 Mech, 5D Tech), plus they have some aquatic-environment bonuses. The only drawbacks are the fact that a Quarren's Move starts at 9 instead of 10, and that they have some higher attribute minimums also - 2D Mech and 1D+2 Tech (compared to Rodians 1D minimum in each) - forcing a player to spend 1D+2 attribute in a way he/she might not have done with a Rodian, but that's still not much of a penalty.

Ultimately, this is a separate topic - one that would warrant its own thread - but I think it should at least be mentioned here. I'm not saying the attribute ranges should all be the same, I'm saying that each alien should have something going for it that makes it appealing for a player character- although most GMs regard a good story as the ultimate meaning of a campaign, it's rare to find a players willing to handicap their characters' stats just to enhance the story- given the comparison above, how appealing is it to play a Rodian if you can just as easily make a Quarren character instead?

I'd go so far as to say this, about the topic- eventually, a GM is going to have to choose 1 of 3 options:

1- decide which aliens can and cannot be used to make Player Characters.
2- modify the attributes, bonuses, and penalties of certain aliens
3- use all the aliens "as written" and let the players deal with the imbalances.

Each option has its benefits and drawbacks, and I'm just saying that if you choose #3, you should at least be aware of everything that comes with it. Plus, you'll want to take a close look at the stats for Duinuogwuin, Noghri, and Verpine. Neutral
Reyus Graven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Sometimes things are just not equal Reply with quote

I do agree that sometimes you like to have benefits for being something. However even when you look at the real world around us no to creatures are really equal. Theres always something stronger or faster by and far then another counterpart somewhere else. Think a cougar is tough tell that to the lion. Different environments will produce diverse creatures that don't always mesh together.

I find though that a handicapped character can be fun to play sometimes. If a GM is good enough to play with the social aspects of a certain character race it can make for good fun. Being a brute type character that doesn't fight can make a challenge that much more fun when you over come it. Often when something overcomes a hurdle especially a racial one (Jawa gladiator) they become something stronger because of it. A jawa wouldn't get much respect in the ring till he started winning. By giving lower stats it makes becoming something that much more accomplished when you win. That and I'd rather play a race I think is interesting and overcome its hurdles to make an archetype I like to play
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a lot of people overlook something...Ankhanu touched on this above I think. A certain species may only have modest improvements to its attribute maximums, and at first glance the lower maximums of that species' other attributes may make it look as if the species is, as we're calling it, "gimped". But most people fail to notice that the minimums are lower, as well. "Wait!" you say. "I know that, but that doesn't help. Who wants lower attribute minimums?" Well, I don't know about you, but I recall several times when I was creating a character and thought to myself, Man, I wish I could lower this character's Technical attribute lower than 2D; there's another PC in the party that will handle all of that, and I could really use the extra attribute dice in this attribute over here. Lower attribute minimums are a boon in such instances, and I think that a lot of people fail to realize it. So next time you're looking at a "gimped" species, think about what kind of character that species was meant to play, look at the attribute minimums, and see if they don't help out in your attribute dice allocation. If you're playing a PC that goes against the grain of that species' mainstream, I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're not going to be too worried about rollplaying, since obviously your focus is on roleplaying.
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum perhaps the wookie mediator with 2D+2 in strenght.. Wink

You may fire when ready
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Well, with any rule, they are guidelines... but, yes, the maximums are just that, maximums. It is possible to go beyond a species maximum, but that should be done though normal character advancement via character points after creation; the rules on increasing beyond species maximum are covered in the rules.

To remove the species maximums kills the flavour of playing that species. Part of taking a different species aside from the potential cultural differences, is the fact that they are physically different, with different inherent levels of aptitude in the six attributes. Ignoring that, you're ignoring what it is to play as that species... You're also offering special abilities without giving the players any kind of drawback for taking them. For races without special abilities, why bother if you're going to equalize their stats anyway, why not just play human or funny looking human?

Well said. Species maximums imo are there to show why those species are limited/weak at certain things. Why should a wookie with a 5d str, and a 3d know have the capacity to hit 4d like a human?

Those maximums are there for all, not just NPCs.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to bump low maximums to 4D, that seems to me like you should drop high maximums to 4D as well... otherwise, the humans in the group will be gimped.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
If you're going to bump low maximums to 4D, that seems to me like you should drop high maximums to 4D as well... otherwise, the humans in the group will be gimped.

In practice, this is kind of how it worked, as everyone else was playing humans. Basically, I have certain players who really like certain species. Twi'Leks being one I'm particularly fond of. I simply don't agree with some of the limits WEG assigned, particularly when they don't seem comparable to other stats given (I've not seen it personally, as I don't own the book, but someone told me that Twi'Leks and Rodians were more capable in D20) elsewhere.

I know all about the flavor of species and their stats, but PCs are supposed to be exceptional. It's certainly not a min/max issue, I never had anyone wanting to play a Wookiee or a Noghri or anything, they really wanted to get into the spirit and culture of the species, they just didn't want to have crappy stats in order to do it.

I will say that I didn't know the rule mentioned upthread by Matthias about species with less than 12D for basic attributes (like Twi'Leks) getting the difference in skill dice, if I had, I may not have changed the defaults.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, and it has also troubled a player of mine. What you really seem to be questioning is not the whole "max attribute" system, but simply the species stats WEG created for certain races. I agree with you that the Twi'lek stats don't really fit the bill. I mean, here we have a species of galaxywide-acclaimed dancers, with grace and nimbleness to spare, and they have a Dexterity maximum of 3D? I think that's just wrong.

How do you solve it? You tweak it to your liking. The min/max system is good and valuable, it's only that some stats could use a little tweaking here and there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: