The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lightsaber Skill Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good point.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Ginzain wrote:
I think they listed it as a seperate skill for clarity and to make it more unique. It technically should be a melee combat/parry specilization requiring you to spend CP to raise both. At the end of the day though, the cost is the same since raising a specilization costs half cp times the two different skills. So yes, it is cheaper to raise lightsaber then melee combat and melee parry, but it costs the same as raising melee combat:force pike and melee parry:force pike.

Just to play devil's advocate here though, can you specalize in the lightsaber skill?

If you can then it does put a bit of a dent in that argument.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen one outside of player created or house rules.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that explains the singkle skill is that Lightsaber only covers the use of one weaon, while Melee Combat and Melee Parry cover the use of virtually any and all melee weaons except lightsaber.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few scenes from the current Clone Wars series seem to suggest that lightsabers aren't so different from other melee weapons as to require a separate skill - which is how the official rules from West End Games is treating them.

Specifically:
Pre Vizsla, in seaon 2 episode 12: The Mandalore Plot
Cad Bane, in season 3 episode 9: The Hunt for Ziro

This is far from the first instance of non-Force-users wielding lightsabers as far as the EU is concerned, but it is the first time (I think) seeing it in a source that's considered canon.

As far as character advancement is concerned, I was also under the impression that the separation of Melee Combat and Melee Parry into 2 skills was because it dealt with so many different types of weapons.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
One thing that explains the singkle skill is that Lightsaber only covers the use of one weaon, while Melee Combat and Melee Parry cover the use of virtually any and all melee weaons except lightsaber.

Well the lightsaber skill covers all forms of LS.. whether light whip, light staff, stave, double ended etc..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

Well the lightsaber skill covers all forms of LS.. whether light whip, light staff, stave, double ended etc..

These more or less came to be after the idea of one skill for lightsaber.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

These more or less came to be after the idea of one skill for lightsaber.

It doesn't change the fact that they now exist though. Perhaps Lightsaber varients each need to be their own skill if you're looking for balance.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that i can get behind.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:
A few scenes from the current Clone Wars series seem to suggest that lightsabers aren't so different from other melee weapons as to require a separate skill - which is how the official rules from West End Games is treating them.

Specifically:
Pre Vizsla, in seaon 2 episode 12: The Mandalore Plot
Cad Bane, in season 3 episode 9: The Hunt for Ziro

This is far from the first instance of non-Force-users wielding lightsabers as far as the EU is concerned, but it is the first time (I think) seeing it in a source that's considered canon.

As far as character advancement is concerned, I was also under the impression that the separation of Melee Combat and Melee Parry into 2 skills was because it dealt with so many different types of weapons.

You have a point here. I think that Lightsaber being it own seerate skill has more to do with WEG game balance than with the ssetting. In fact, I think it is even said that the Lightsaber Forms were based off of sword/fencing techniques. I get the impression that Obi Wan, Anakin,and Yoda could all hold their own wielding a broadsword.

Somebody around here treats Lightsaber as an Advanced Skill under Melee Combat, and that approach certain has merit.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I think that Lightsaber being it own seerate skill has more to do with WEG game balance than with the ssetting. In fact, I think it is even said that the Lightsaber Forms were based off of sword/fencing techniques. I get the impression that Obi Wan, Anakin,and Yoda could all hold their own wielding a broadsword.

Somebody around here treats Lightsaber as an Advanced Skill under Melee Combat, and that approach certain has merit.

And I seem to recall reading WEG stats that often included both lightsaber skill and melee parry. Sadly, I don't have any of those books with me to site specific examples.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Skill Reply with quote

Rimmer wrote:
Any reason why the Lightsaber skill is easier to learn than melee combat ?

Lightsaber is only one skill which covers both offense and defense while melee combat is split into two skills, which obviously take twice as long to improve.

Easy enough fix with a house rule, making Lightsaber a Specialty of both Melee skills, one for offense and one for defence i guess.

Opinions ?

I did it the other way around; Brawling parry and Melee parry are specializations of Brawling and Melee. The Brawling and the Melee skills covers both attack and defense, as do the Lightsaber skill. If a jedi wants to, he can specialize his Lightsaber skill in attack or defense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see making LS an advanced skill under both melee/melee parry.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see making LS an advanced skill under both melee/melee parry.

I'm doing something similar for the write-up I'm doing on the Seven Forms. All seven Forms are treated as Advanced Skills, so they require double CPs to advance, but this is offset by each form providing a bonus equal to +1D+1 for every 1D the character has in the form. This bonus can only be applied to the type of combat the Form specializes in, so a Form II adept with a skill of 4D receives a bonus of +5D+1 (for a total of 9D+1) when engaged in Melee Combat, but loses the bonus and can only roll 4D when deflecting blaster fire.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a bit much, since no other advanced skill offsets it by more than 1d per 1d..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: