The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stereotypes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Stereotypes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Stereotypes Reply with quote

I've been considering something for a while, as an aid to GM'ing NPC's. Rather than adopting an alignment system, ala D&D, I thought it might be a good idea to introduce a stereotype system, specifically to give GM's a tool for roleplaying how NPC's might behave in situations. Obviously, a stereotype would be too general a label to apply to a PC or a major NPC, whose backgrounds can get pretty detailed, but when you want to add a little variety to the average smuggler or Imperial officer, a simple stereotype might be just the thing.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereotypes Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I've been considering something for a while, as an aid to GM'ing NPC's. Rather than adopting an alignment system, ala D&D, I thought it might be a good idea to introduce a stereotype system, specifically to give GM's a tool for roleplaying how NPC's might behave in situations. Obviously, a stereotype would be too general a label to apply to a PC or a major NPC, whose backgrounds can get pretty detailed, but when you want to add a little variety to the average smuggler or Imperial officer, a simple stereotype might be just the thing.

I have to say Im a bit confused here. How are stereotypes supposed to promote variety? Arent stereotypes working in the opposite direction?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereotypes Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

I have to say Im a bit confused here. How are stereotypes supposed to promote variety? Arent stereotypes working in the opposite direction?

Well, the idea here would be personality stereotypes, not the roles defined by whatever the template is. For example, an Imperial customs officer, could be a stickler for the rules, an ambitious career climber, a sadist, etc. These would be stereotypes that would give you an idea how to roleplay an NPC in a given situation. A customs officer might be more prone to accept a bribe if he is close to retirement, or less likely to accept one if he is young and ambitious.

A stereotype for a given NPC will also help the GM flesh out how a scenario should be played. In the above, a successful Law Enforcement or Planetary Systems roll would allow the GM to inform the characters whether they should try to brazen out a customs boarding or if they should run for it, just based on the officer in command of the customs unit.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, it means that perceptive players could attempt to 'read' the NPC and see then try to interpret how would be best to proceed. For instance if they thought the NPC was a real stickler for the rules then bribing is right out but if they thought he cared about order more than rules perhaps a cunningly disguised bribe and a good speach might go a long way.

The trick is to figure out a way to describe the NPCs demeanor in such a way that it hin't at the sterotype without just outright saying "This guy is a stickler for the rules."

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
The trick is to figure out a way to describe the NPCs demeanor in such a way that it hin't at the sterotype without just outright saying "This guy is a stickler for the rules."

Exactly. Probably the best option would be to have a more detailed description of each stereotype on a list somewhere for reference, but just list the stereotype itself on the NPC's template. After all, the way most of us memorize stats, recalling the specifics from memory would be a cinch.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereotypes Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Well, the idea here would be personality stereotypes, not the roles defined by whatever the template is. For example, an Imperial customs officer, could be a stickler for the rules, an ambitious career climber, a sadist, etc. These would be stereotypes that would give you an idea how to roleplay an NPC in a given situation. A customs officer might be more prone to accept a bribe if he is close to retirement, or less likely to accept one if he is young and ambitious.

A stereotype for a given NPC will also help the GM flesh out how a scenario should be played. In the above, a successful Law Enforcement or Planetary Systems roll would allow the GM to inform the characters whether they should try to brazen out a customs boarding or if they should run for it, just based on the officer in command of the customs unit.

The up and coming young Lieutenant who just graduated from the starship engineering academy on Kuat getting posted to checking inspection stickers in Mos Eisley. How do you think that would affect his ambitions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: