The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lightsaber Skill Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rimmer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Lightsaber Skill Reply with quote

Any reason why the Lightsaber skill is easier to learn than melee combat ?

Lightsaber is only one skill which covers both offense and defense while melee combat is split into two skills, which obviously take twice as long to improve.

Easy enough fix with a house rule, making Lightsaber a Specialty of both Melee skills, one for offense and one for defence i guess.

Opinions ?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsaber Skill Reply with quote

Rimmer wrote:
Any reason why the Lightsaber skill is easier to learn than melee combat ?

Lightsaber is only one skill which covers both offense and defense while melee combat is split into two skills, which obviously take twice as long to improve.

Easy enough fix with a house rule, making Lightsaber a Specialty of both Melee skills, one for offense and one for defence i guess.

Opinions ?

That doesnt really fix anything, except having them as separate skills. The CP cost is still the same given that specializations cost half the CPs to advance.

I try to cut down on the number of skills in my game, so I went in the opposite direction. I merged the two melee skills into one. Problem fixed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i feel it should have been split.. 1 skill for LS attack, one for defense.. like how blaster/dodge, or melee/melee parry are seperate.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a house rule i encountered that was an alternate rule for the lightsaber combat force power. Instead of adding your Sense to the roll you have 1/2 your sense dice to ignore MAPs for lightsaber combat. eg sense 6d = 3 free MAPs.

This seemed to help balance things out quite a bit.
Rimmer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not really the Sense skill that bugs me, its how Melee skills are split over two skills yet lightsaber is only one skill, meaning it is only takes half the skill points to learn.

Just a thought, but "Lightsaber" could be an advanced skill of both Melee Combat and Melee Parry ?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ZzaphodD pointed out the cost to advance lightsaber is the same as advancing a specalization of melee and melee parry, it's just got the narrow focus factored into the cost already.

Jedi are supposed to just be better than other character types once they get enough experience. If you want diverse Jedi just use a few ion grenades and have their lightsaber's shut down for a while.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Rimmer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may go the Advanced skill route and see how that goes.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search, a couple of people have already suggested/trailed using lightsaber combat as an advanced rule.

I think it was in the house rules section.

Here are some threads you might be interested in
De-powering Lightsaber Combat

Lightsaber Parry

And finally Lightsaber Combat as an Advanced Skill

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I didn't mind Lightsaber being 1 skill for a simple reason: base difficulty "to hit", before any other mods, is Heroic Difficulty--while most Melee Weapons are Easy-Moderate Difficulty. With a weapon set easier to use than a Lightsaber the 2 separate skills made sense, as well as allowing more customizing: a Fencing expert may focus more on his Melee Parry, for example, while a wielder of a Vibroaxe would focus more on his Melee Combat skill (as it's not really a weapon geared for parrying).

...*thinks Lightsabers are often over-rated*
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get that?? Several melee weapons are difficult (15-20), such as the Ft knife, Coyn'skar (very diff for the disarm function), Iridonian Zhaboka Double-Bladed Fighting Pike (at diff), Rantok (diff), Scitroc (diff), Sat’skar(diff, or very diff for 1 handed use), Feeorin Double Vibroblade (Diff)
Yalandross PowerMasters Jengardin Millenial Warrior Double-Bladed Vibroblade (Diff, or heroic single handed), Holowan mechanicals Electrostaff (diff).

The regular lightsaber is diff (20), the short one moderate (15), all others are also diff...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reason for one skill for both attack and defence: simplicity.

Same reason merged starfighter piloting with space transports into starship piloting. Brawling is one skill under STR, as is Melee under Dex. Comp Prog./Repair is one skill, Droid Prog./Repair the same.

Realistic? No, but then again its Star Wars. I prefer to have my characters less limited and more able to do different things without putting CPs into a myriad of skills.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How do you get that?? Several melee weapons are difficult (15-20), such as the Ft knife, Coyn'skar (very diff for the disarm function), Iridonian Zhaboka Double-Bladed Fighting Pike (at diff), Rantok (diff), Scitroc (diff), Sat’skar(diff, or very diff for 1 handed use), Feeorin Double Vibroblade (Diff)
Yalandross PowerMasters Jengardin Millenial Warrior Double-Bladed Vibroblade (Diff, or heroic single handed), Holowan mechanicals Electrostaff (diff).

The regular lightsaber is diff (20), the short one moderate (15), all others are also diff...

I don't remember any of those weapons off hand, but do you thwack yourself with it and take damage if you miss the difficulty number?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

And you can specialize in those, while you can't with the LS....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of them iirc you can thwak yourself..
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they listed it as a seperate skill for clarity and to make it more unique. It technically should be a melee combat/parry specilization requiring you to spend CP to raise both. At the end of the day though, the cost is the same since raising a specilization costs half cp times the two different skills. So yes, it is cheaper to raise lightsaber then melee combat and melee parry, but it costs the same as raising melee combat:force pike and melee parry:force pike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: