The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

improvised thrown weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> improvised thrown weapons Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: improvised thrown weapons Reply with quote

How much damage would one of these do?
For example, if an Esoomian picked up a rock and threw it what would the damage be?
I was thinking like str+1. Do you all think it would have a max like 5 or 6d.
What if it isn't a rock what if it is a 5" diameter turret bearing (basically a steel ball)?
Thanks
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to make any easy rules for this. It depends on the size of the rock really. Considering that a Blaster Pistol do 4D of damage one should keep the damage of a 'rock' rather low I assume. STR+1 seems to high, then a really strong human would on average cause more damage throwing rocks than shooting a pistol.. Laughing
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of at least one example where a single rock felled a gaint :p

Strength +1 is probably fine given that the range for a thrown rock is probably going to max out at 10 or less and a blaster pistol is going to have a range of somewhere around three times that, also it would be considerably easier to fire multiple shots with a blaster than it would be to have a bag of rocks and throw them in quick succession.

A boulder on the other hand...

Actually if I recall correctly boulders are thrown using the grenade skill because you lob them at the target hoping to crush them rather than 'pitching' them.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Strength +1 is probably fine

Oh, nooo. Watch out! That Bounty Hunter just put down his pistol and picked up a rock! Laughing
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the bounty hunter would have to be very close, wielding a pistol less damaging than a standard heavy blaster pistol and have a strength of 4D or better (with or without power amour) for this to increase his threat rating. Even then most amour provides greater protection against physical damage than it does against energy damage.

Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i am thinking of making an Esoomian for an upcoming game. And since I don't think an Esoomian can use a standard blaster, because of the shape of his hands, perhaps he could throw something instead. Like turret bearings.

Do you have any suggestions Esoomian?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be prepared to have all the enemies target you to take you out quicker and enemies put in game to 'challenge you' being more than sufficient to wipe out the rest of the party.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my game, no matter what the size of the improvised weapon, it does Str+2 pips. Improvised weapons aren't of course intended to be weapons hence them doing very little damage. My cousin who played a Wookiee in the last game picked someone up to throw him at an advancing stormtrooper and was made to make a thrown weapons roll and then 6D+2 damage. He was more made about only getting +2 on the damage than having 2D+2 in thrown weapons.

Keith
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a variation of the similar conversation on unarmed combat damage verses melee weapon damage.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3091&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
That part of the thread started after ZzaphodD's comment at
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:30 pm

It is a basic feature of Star Wars D6 that unarmed damage by strong and very strong attackers does as much or more damage than blasters. One can like it, hate it, whatever, but it is part of the basic rules design.

That being said, if the Esoomian can find a big enough rock to throw STR+1 sounds fine for damage. But just because an Esoomian is horrendously strong it doesn't necessarily follow that he can throw a small rock at bullet-like high velocity as opposed to throwing a massive boulder at a lower velocity. If we look at the damage done by heavy character scale weapons they tend to top out around 7D for the rancor whacking Exotac Arms EXP-7(a) Predator Blaster Rifle. Comparing non-energy weapons such as the Kashyyyk Long Gun at 6D+2, Adostic Arms
8-Guage Shotgun at 5D, Arachnica EMRG-50 Electromagnetic Rail Gun at 5D, and various rocket launchers at 6D, it seems like anything over STR+1 would be excessive. For a non D6 example, iir Chaosium's Pendragon used Damage/2 for bow (and I think thrown rock or sling) damage. Character Damage was around 4D to 6D and character hits were effectively in a similar range.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what we need is a cap on damage the way melee weapons have a cap.

Considering how D6 works, I'd probably cap rock damage useing a log progression. Say +2D ever time you increase the mass by a factor of 10.

1kg 2D
10kg 4D
100kg 6D

That way, Wookiees couldn't throw marbles that hit like rifle bullets.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

Considering how D6 works, I'd probably cap rock damage useing a log progression. Say +2D ever time you increase the mass by a factor of 10.

1kg 2D
10kg 4D
100kg 6D

Numbers may need a bit of tweaking, but this could work. May need to move over to the House Rules thread though.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancil wrote:
well i am thinking of making an Esoomian for an upcoming game. And since I don't think an Esoomian can use a standard blaster, because of the shape of his hands, perhaps he could throw something instead. Like turret bearings.

Do you have any suggestions Esoomian?

I've used boomsticks in the past. They're spears with hollow compartments that you put a grenade in.

The Esoomian's high strength ensures that the spears wedge deeply in or near the target and then the grenade goes off.

garhkal wrote:
just be prepared to have all the enemies target you to take you out quicker and enemies put in game to 'challenge you' being more than sufficient to wipe out the rest of the party.

Focus fire can be a problem. Often my Esoomian wore a disguise that made him seem like a non sapient pack animal. Because of the size and scarcity of Esoomians it worked quite well.

The downside is that the other players will 'park' you outside the cantina and feed you with a nosebag while they go in and talk to the contact. It can be dull.

In combat however it's quite easy to 'panic' close to enemy lines and then actually start doing some surprise damage.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
[
Numbers may need a bit of tweaking, but this could work. May need to move over to the House Rules thread though.

THe number might need tweaking, at that. I was just looking for something that would keep throw rocks below firearm damage.

And yes, it would mean a house rule.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

1kg 2D
10kg 4D
100kg 6D

This idea reminded me of this blast from the past.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Well the bounty hunter would have to be very close, wielding a pistol less damaging than a standard heavy blaster pistol and have a strength of 4D or better (with or without power amour) for this to increase his threat rating. Even then most amour provides greater protection against physical damage than it does against energy damage.

Yeah, yeah. Still doesnt change the fact that it shouldnt be better to pick up a stone than shooting someone with a pistol (blaster or slugthrower).

Give this man a stone and a puny guy a pistol and see who has the best chance of taking the other out at 10m

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: