The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The "essential"ness of the Essential Atlas for you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The "essential"ness of the Essential Atlas for you Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the Atlas is almost an inch taller than all the other books.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Planets and Moons was lame and had no maps.

It had rudimentary planetary maps, which the Essential Atlas disappointingly lacks. I agree that the planet descriptions were padded, but in some cases (Endor) there was usable information to be had that's not repeated in the Atlas. Certainly not the case for all the planets. I suppose the plot summaries were kind of useful for me to see what EU happenings occurred there since I didn't read most of those sources. Probably not the intention for including that material.

Anyway now my question:

Whill wrote:

Third Generation Essential Guides
The Force (07, entitled "Jedi Vs. Sith")
Atlas (09)
Warfare (11)
Reader's Companion (12)
Characters (12)

Are all the other books going to be re-issued a third time, a la the characters book?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
Whill wrote:
Planets and Moons was lame and had no maps.

It had rudimentary planetary maps, which the Essential Atlas disappointingly lacks. I agree that the planet descriptions were padded, but in some cases (Endor) there was usable information to be had that's not repeated in the Atlas.

You are correct. I should have specifed that it had no star maps showing systems and regions in relation to each other. Far more interesting and useful information IMO. My games are fairly space-faring, so the PCs usually only visit one city or area on a planet and don't generally travel around too much on a planet. And it is not like the planetary maps were that big or detailed. Very, very basic.

Barrataria wrote:
Are all the other books going to be re-issued a third time, a la the characters book?

Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future. As of now, there are no plans beyond another Characters book. I'd love to see that and also Vehicles and Vessles and Weapons and Technology because those are the ones that don't include anything from ROTS. But a lot of that would probably overlap with the Warfare book, so we'll get some of it there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Tusk BloodFlail
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Atlas is amazing, pure and simple. Best Star Wars book I have purchased in a very long time. The only other tool for Star Wars I have enjoyed more is "Spore" my star wars game is full of Creature, Aliens, and Vehicles of all types I have made on that game. You can even get your creations as jpeg and make illustrated stats with the ease. Its awesome, and so is the Atlas. Wildlife of Star Wars is an awesome book as well!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try checking the Atlas against the Tapini Sector map in Lords of the Expanse. I thought the Atlas was wrong as I knew Mrlsst was in the Tapini Sector and looking at the Atlas Fondor is closer to the Core Wasn't finding Fondor on the sector map for a while so was thinking the Tapini Sector was placed wrong in the Atlas as the sector map does show which way to the Core. But once you find Fondor on the sector map, turning the sector map to the right so Mrlsst is below Fondor lines up perfectly with the Atlas.

Wanted Poster
Sid Sonoma
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Atlas, only one improvement is needed.

A poster size pull out of the Galaxy to hang on my wall. Razz
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Try checking the Atlas against the Tapini Sector map in Lords of the Expanse. I thought the Atlas was wrong as I knew Mrlsst was in the Tapini Sector and looking at the Atlas Fondor is closer to the Core Wasn't finding Fondor on the sector map for a while so was thinking the Tapini Sector was placed wrong in the Atlas as the sector map does show which way to the Core. But once you find Fondor on the sector map, turning the sector map to the right so Mrlsst is below Fondor lines up perfectly with the Atlas.

It's interesting, I have printouts of Modi's old map and the similar dark blue one made by someone else, and yes the one in the atlas is at a slight angle.

I have been impressed with the index, it's possibly my favorite thing. However, quite a few planets are listed by the star system name instead of the planet most notable in the system. So Endor is Endor, for example, but other planets (maybe the squib homeworld? I've found a couple I don't remember at the moment) are listed by the name of the star system so it takes a little sleuthing to find what you are looking for.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've found a couple I don't remember at the moment) are listed by the name of the star system so it takes a little sleuthing to find what you are looking for.

Now if only there was a table that cross referenced planet name with system name...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there are planets listed that don't appear on the map, though it does tell you where to look for them. And there are planets or systems that aren't even listed. Procopia is the capital of the Tapini Sector, and if you look on page 237 it's listed as being in quadrant L-13 in the Colonies region. That's the same quadrant as Mrlsst and Fondor (obviously as their both in the Tapini Sector). But go to page 15 where the Colonies Reigon map is. In L-13 you find Giju, Cilpar, Laakteen Depot, Ghorman, Vindalia, Fondor, Mrlsst, Bassadro, Teyr, and Vulvarch in that quadrant. Only two are Tapini Sector worlds, and Procopia should be heading towards Bassadro. Most Tapini Sector worlds don't appear on the map, most aren't listed.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A poster size pull out of the Galaxy to hang on my wall. Razz

Or better yet, a disk with that as a program so you can use a projector.. then it also includes scaled versions of quadrants....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: