The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Slaves
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Slaves Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tusk BloodFlail
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Slaves Reply with quote

Has anyone come across the value of a slave? I have kind of pieced it together at around 12,000 credits for your typical slave, but I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little bit of logic:

Watto: "No pod's worth two slaves, not by a long shot."

Anakin's pod: 8,000 (new), 6,000 (used) (according to Secrets of Tatooine)
The most expensive pod we know of is Sebulba's: 18,000 (new), 14,000 (used)

So it depends wether Watto was evaluating Anakin's pod or going by the maximum price of a podracer. If it's the first case, a slave would be worth no more than 6,000. If it's the latter, then it could be up to about 15,000.

I'd go with 10,000 as a good base number.

You know what? You can almost buy your own ship for that!

But then again, who's going to fly it? You?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is Watto honestly setting a price on slaves or is he trying not to loose both his slaves? He really seems to have fallen on hard times without both Anakin and Shmi in AotC. And it's been a while since I read the novelization or even watched TPM, but I seem to recall he wanted to sell Shmi and keep Anakin but had to be convinced to sell Anakin. Really Anakin was the money maker for Watto what with his ability to repair just about anything.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that might have had something to do with him betting against jabba or something.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect that slaves would be worth more depending on any specialized skills/attributes that they have.

Female Twi'lek Dancers, for instance, would probably fetch very high prices. 10,000-30,000 credits?
Anakin had outstanding technical aptitude, which meant he was probably worth quite a bit of money to Watto.
Slaves used for menial labor, however, might only be worth 500-2000 credits.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
So it depends wether Watto was evaluating Anakin's pod or going by the maximum price of a podracer. If it's the first case, a slave would be worth no more than 6,000. If it's the latter, then it could be up to about 15,000.

I thought someone found a number for Anakin after the podrace, maybe from the novelization? ah, found the poster but not the source...

bren wrote:
After Anakin won the Boonta Eve pod-race, Gardula the Hutt offered Watto 50,000 peggats (~ 2 million credits) to buy Anakin. Which gives a rough (very high) upper limit on the value of a slave.

It seems a bit weird that slaves would be so precious under the Empire, what with all that oppression and EEEEVIL... in any case I agree with rerun that your basic Shmi-class slave wouldn't cost 10k.

And wouldn't droids have an effect on the prices? A lot of them are pretty cheap, so you might consider their availability or lack thereof. And the costs imposed by rebel/new/old republic anti-slaving raids, or lack thereof.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 millions for a slave (even if it's the chosen one) is completely absurd. You can buy an armada for that kind of money.

I'd say a slave would go from about 2,000 (menial labour) to 20,000 (very skilled or attractive).
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
2 millions for a slave (even if it's the chosen one) is completely absurd.

I hope you're not suggesting some professional EU fiction writer is wrong Razz

Gry Sarth wrote:
I'd say a slave would go from about 2,000 (menial labour) to 20,000 (very skilled or attractive).

What would you consider to be "very skilled"? Some droids can cheaply do pretty advanced things, like an astromech or a protocol droid. Maybe it's not so much that the skill per se is advanced, but that a particular individual might combine several skills and abilities.
Tusk BloodFlail
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 2 million is absurd in that particular circumstance. Hutts are rich and for some rich guy to throw down a ton of cash for the horse that just won the race happens every day. Also, a used Corellian Corvette is 1.5 million and then you need the 30 to 165 crew to operate it, so I doubt you could hire your own armada for 2 million Razz

The price of slave and droid is also not comparable. Living things have a much higher value than droids have in Star Wars. I agree that the average price for a slave would be around 10,000 to 20,000 depending on the slaves race, skills, and appearance.

Thanks for the input all
Very Happy
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
2 millions for a slave (even if it's the chosen one) is completely absurd. You can buy an armada for that kind of money.

How about this?

Best Skill (in pips) sqaured *50?

menial labor (2D) = 1800
Semi Skilled (3D) = 4050
Profession Level (4D) = 7200
Above Average (5D) = 11,250
Best in a City (6D) = 16,200
Best on a Continent (7D) = 22050
Best on a Planet (8D) = 28,800

Special skills, abilities or other attributes could bump someone up a a few pips to a couple of dice. For example, a doctor with First Aid 5D and Medicne 1D, might be vauled as for a 7D skill, and be worth 22 thousand. A really hot Twi'lek dancing girl would be worth more than what he 4D dancing skill would merit and so forth.

Two or more sskills that are signficant bump the value up another die. So someone who is needed to drive a speeder (repulsorlift Ops 4D) and fix it (Repulsorlift Repair 4D) would be valued as if they had a skill of 5D (11250 credits).

Yes, someone like Boba Fett or Yoda would be worth oodles as a slave, but only to someone who needed slaves with 10D or 14D in skills and was willing to pay top credits for them.

Okay, it is more detail that we should ever really need, but it gives us some benchmarks that seem workable.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:

bren wrote:
After Anakin won the Boonta Eve pod-race, Gardula the Hutt offered Watto 50,000 peggats (~ 2 million credits) to buy Anakin. Which gives a rough (very high) upper limit on the value of a slave.

Actually what it gives is an idea of how much Gardulla was willing to spend for a pod racer the Hutt felt could bring them even more money in the long run and not really the upper limit for a slave. Qui-Gon said it himself, for a human to be good at pod racing means they had to pretty much be Force-sensitive as the species wasn't known for producing good pod racers. They might be able to produce excellent podracers (as in the vehicles) but not those to pilot them. That's what made Anakin so unusual, for a human he was able to compete with species better suited to pod racing and hold his own. Especially in his homemade pod and not Watto's which he'd never won in. He not only knew how to build a great pod but how to expertly pilot one. Gardulla could well see how profitable Anakin could become for them once it became clear he could win races.

Wanted Poster
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.... it's not much a case of buying a slave as it is hiring Schumacker for life.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, perhaps more importantly, stopping him from racing for anyone else!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be more than stopping them from racing for another team. It'd be like buying both the driver and the designer and builder of the winning race car, having them both strictly race and build new cars for you. Not only would you have the chance of them winning for you, but you could set yourself up as the manufacturer of some hot race car designs and make lots of money tat way.

Wanted Poster
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to keep slaves cheap, perhaps with an exception for slaves with vaulable skills. This feels more 'evil' (life is cheap) and fitting for slavers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: