The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taris Quick Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Taris Quick Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmseith
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Taris Quick Question Reply with quote

I plan on running a side story of my main campaign on Taris between the Great Sith War and The Jedi Civil War. One of the PC's is a force sensitive who is apprenticed to a Jedi Shadow. Her mission will be to infiltrate one of the swoop gangs and keep an eye out for suspected Sith agitators. I figured it would eb a great chance for the other pc's to take a break from being Jedi and play members of the gang and run the side story until the major invasion breaks out. My only problem is I suck at Ecumenopolis' when it comes to mapping or really dealing with a more vertical rather than horizontal plan. I have some good info on the background and culture of the people and some minor history but was there any old WEG products that have Taris or possibly some good maps and details of other Ecu's?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unfamiliar with this Taris of which you speak, but Wookieepedia has information, sources, and some pictures that may help you.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Taris
wmseith
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was where I grabbed what little I have. I guess my main problem is dealing with giant cities that have many levels and how to work with them. Taris like Corsuscant is divided into levels with an undercity. The outcasts are on the lower levels along with the non human or unregistered populace and the upper levels hold the rich, humans and the Jedi. But I am perplexed how to map out what I would like. I have never seen Coruscant, Nar Shadaa or any of the other world citites to see an example of how they've worked it. I almost feel like it's open air dungeoneering. Having a section 10 Kilometers in radius with about 300 meters of vertical potential as well. maybe it's just be being rusty at this sort of thing been about 5 years since I last ran or played in a game aside from the current one.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution to mapping is, dont!

Map out the specific areas where the PCs will move around or encounter NPCs. Bars, Landing pads, Streets. Describe the rest in a narrative way. Also, given the immense size of all these planet-cities, the only way to move around should be via autopilot more or less. If you go down into the 'unmapped' areas, youd better pay a guide or something like that.

Some Inspiration from googling (maybe you have these):

http://www.dockingbay101.com/images/albums/userpics/10001/taris800600_dockingbay101.jpg

http://edandmari.com/starwars/locations/Taris.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/i/pam010.jpg/

http://www.gahrwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/CA_20100212_Taris01_800x450.jpeg
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The solution to mapping is, dont!

The secret to running science fiction roleplaying games! Razz

It's fun as heck to design sectors, and planets, and cities, and all that, and death to preparing for a game. Be guided by the abstract sorts of maps provided for Cloud City or Ithorian herdships and keep things very general. If you LIKE mapping, do that, but always be careful to do only what you need for your game session.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as ZzaphodD said, don't map the whole thing.

Here is another hint, only map the few areas you know they will go. You may not want to locate the bar you mapped until the PCs go into a bar, then have it be the bar you mapped. Smile

ZzaphodD, the first link you posted gives me a page not found error. Is it located elsewhere or do I need to sign up for something?
wmseith
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for the good advice and suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: