The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Whats your advice on running Dark Side characters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Whats your advice on running Dark Side characters? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Whats your advice on running Dark Side characters? Reply with quote

I have a player that had his Jedi recently turn to the dark side. The Jedi is an 'untrained' jedi in the sense that his master got killed while he was a padawan, and he got little formal training. He started the game as a 'failed jedi'. Later, during Scavenger Hunt, they came across part of the wreck of DV:s personal Star Destroyer where he found a 'tainted' (Dark Side) lightsaber which he began using, not realising what it was (even though the player did). In the end somewhat reckless playing coupled with the influence of this artifact (see my Will of the Dark Side rules elsewere) eventually turned him (bad luck, he turned at 3 DSP when we roll 2D).

He dropped the character for a gunslinger type character living as a slave to a crimeboss on Nar Shaddaa, but now he feels this change was a mistake. I dont have anything against players playing dark side characters, as long as they manage to play with the group..and do it right. Also, the player must have as a goal to return to the light side. However, the main problem would be to find a reason for the player to stick with the group that doesnt immediately clash with the groups goals (at least short term). So, for example a wish to use and dominate the group wont fly as this will result in more or less immediate conflict.

The players are loosely connected to two different rebel organisations (one small and Kotas militia) and the period we play in is just before 'The Rebellion' as a larger movement is created. In my games turning to the dark side doesnt automatically mean that you join the Empire, even if that may be a 'logical' choice for a dark side character.

Any ideas for how to handle this or for motives to stick with the group?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to craft good reasons without knowing a lot more of the backstory of the Dark Sider and the other characters. Three reasons to work with the Rebels or oppose the Empire include:

Revenge against the Empire for the loss of friends/loved ones is best, but could also include loss of wealth, status, or position.

Better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven - the character knows that as an Imperial he would, at best only be a minion or servant to Palpatine or Vader. By working with the Rebels as a Force User/Jedi he can achieve a position of real authority and power in the Rebellion.

Overwhelming love/attraction for one of the other characters. This is the motif seen in the later seasons of Buffy that motivates Spike's face turn. A variant of this might also work if one of the other characters is a blood relation (sibling, child, or parent work best).

It will be difficult since Dark Side characters are typically not pleasant to be around which may make it difficult for the other characters to tolerate or embrace the Dark Sider as a team member.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of Dark Side characters, actually... but there are limits Razz People playing evil for evil's sake type dark siders is a really bad idea, but playing a principled or simply selfish dark character can be very rewarding. If the character's goals are death and destruction, then they should probably be scrapped, but a character with good intentions and questionable choices to enact them can be pretty interesting, there's a lot of inner conflict there.

I really dislike the Dark Side RAW... it's somewhat... silly. In terms of rules and character rewards, I treat them like standard characters. The only place that things get a little complicated are in the expenditure of Force Points, and getting them back... of course, with the ability to call on the Dark Side, it's a little less important, I suppose, than it is for light siders. I don't think that recovering FPs when "used for evil" should really be a polar opposite of "for good"... the Dark Side is somewhat more subtle than that; the dark side is subversive more than outright "evil", it's subtle, it's malicious, but it's not really a punch to the gut and a slap in the face evil. For simplicity you could just use a more simplistic idea of evil, however.

Obviously, once the character's fallen they should lose the bonus 1D to Force Powers per DSP granted while the Dark Side is tempting the character. Once they've fallen, the draw wouldn't be as strong. The Dark Side should also slowly hinder the character's ability to use more "light" Force Powers, like those associated with healing (especially others), while perhaps offering bonuses to those that bring harm... perhaps offering a +1D to uses that would incur a DSP?

Just some ideas. In the end, whether to allow a Dark Side character should be made with the rest of the group, and the nature of the character in mind. In many groups there's no reason why certain values of Dark Side wouldn't be an utter boon to the group, but it all depends on the actual circumstances and outlook of the character. Be VERY careful on this choice, it can have serious implications for the entire player group, not to mention the characters.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially if the acts of the darksider bring ill repute to the group as a whole..

imagine if you will a standard planet with some people leaning to siding with the rebels. If this darksider goes on a willful spree of violence against the empire, his acts may taint those peoples beliefs about whether the rebellion IS right for their support.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Especially if the acts of the darksider bring ill repute to the group as a whole..

imagine if you will a standard planet with some people leaning to siding with the rebels. If this darksider goes on a willful spree of violence against the empire, his acts may taint those peoples beliefs about whether the rebellion IS right for their support.

garhkal makes a good point. I've always assumed (and the stats for some NPC Rebels supports*) that there are some Rebels who are consumed by hate and go too far in their actions or are outright evil.

Think bombing civilian populations, schools, and malls and other acts of terror designed to bring the war to the average Imperial citizen; or refusal to accept surrenders and shooting prisoners or wounded opponents. Think shooting your own wounded because they can't keep up and will just slow the group down. Think using torture during interrobation or just to frighten the opposition. There is plenty of scope for evil characters who are working to overthrow the Empire.

* Resistance leader and grandmother Melohdia (sp?) Flarn from the Planet Derilyn in the Planets Collection comes to mind.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precicely. When my former character turned to the darkside i sparks, he went on his own to 'bring the pain' to the imperials.. more effectively than he could as a rebel (constrained by rules of engagement etc), and was even though to have brought some bad marks against the group cause of his acts. BUT after redemption most of those were repaired...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
It is hard to craft good reasons without knowing a lot more of the backstory of the Dark Sider and the other characters.

The (now) dark jedi was a padawan in training by his master when Order 66 killed him. He was at the time about 15 years old and by chance away from his master and any clone troopers when the order was issued. He was supposed to become a jedi guardian given his talent for martial skills and lightsaber combat. He went in hiding and survived doing all kind of odd jobs, some on the shadier side of life, eventuall gaining him a DSP and he started as a 'failed jedi'. Only the fact that he had in fact gained some jedi training kept him from falling to the dark side during those years. When he got in contact with a small rebel group fighting against the empire he joined to get a chance to avenge his master and pay back for all years in misery (the DSP meant that he was tainted by anger).

The rest of the group:
A gruff Khazorian (basically 'Dwarfs in Space) Techie with a hatred for Rodians. Basically your stereotypical dwarf, but in space and with a big gun. Real funny because the player so perfectly suits the character (complete with his big beard). Fights the Empire because they have enslaved part of his species and blockaded his home system. He was a slave mechanic in the bowels of a star destroyer, which he managed to set to self destruct as he and a few other captives broke out and fled.

A Human Mercenary Grunt. A grizzled veteran with a bit shady morals and fewer qualms than what would be appropriate for a 'true' rebel, but not with a grim sense of honour. IIRC the Empire deserted the mercenary group he belonged to resulting in everyone dying except him. Now hes got a beef with the Empire and joined a small rebel grop.

A Wookie Rasta Medic. Well, what can you say about a wookie with dreads that walks around in a poncho, who has a anger management problem (even for a wookie) that he 'medicates' with different illegal methods? Well, wookies have a natural reason for fighting the Empire. He was part of Kotas militia as a superb combat medic.

A Twilek gunrunner. Also with a bit of shady background. Some say hes been involved in slavery, but perhaps thats just a rumour. He is the partys 'negotiator' and 'professor' with a nack for finding guns for Kotas militia which he belonged to.

A young female force 'prodigy'. Even though she is just about 16 years old and with little training she is very powerful with the force. She was discovered by a Jedi living with impoverished miners in the Minus Cluster. He immediately recognized her powerful force powers and took her under his wing before she would attract the attention of Vader or his goons. Her master was later killed by a femaler rogue 'jedi' bounty hunter before she receiwed much training in the ways of the jedi. She ended up living a miserable life among the different minor starports along the hydian way, hitching a ride with different spacers. She made her living by conning and stealing, earning her an 'ackumulated' DSP (and started game as a 'failed' jedi despite her age). When she found a small rebel group she found some purpose in life and a just cause. She is perhaps the groups most 'rebel like' character.

Quote:

Three reasons to work with the Rebels or oppose the Empire include:

Revenge against the Empire for the loss of friends/loved ones is best, but could also include loss of wealth, status, or position.

Better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven - the character knows that as an Imperial he would, at best only be a minion or servant to Palpatine or Vader. By working with the Rebels as a Force User/Jedi he can achieve a position of real authority and power in the Rebellion.

Overwhelming love/attraction for one of the other characters. This is the motif seen in the later seasons of Buffy that motivates Spike's face turn. A variant of this might also work if one of the other characters is a blood relation (sibling, child, or parent work best).

The second reason is the same as I have been thinking of.

Quote:

It will be difficult since Dark Side characters are typically not pleasant to be around which may make it difficult for the other characters to tolerate or embrace the Dark Sider as a team member.

As long as he can keep his temper in check and play a little bit of charade the others wont probably notice, especially as theres no specific knowledge about the dark side in the group, not even the other 'jedi'.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra info ZsaphodD. That helps add context and I can certainly see why you are concerned about the playability of the Dark Jedi.

Of the first four characters you describe: the Khazorian and the Human Mercenary are both out for revenge; the Wookiee has an anger management problem; and the Twilek is shady. You did not mention any higher purpose (e.g. freedom and safety of others) in their service with the Rebellion. It seems like none of the four would have a problem with a Dark Side Jedi as long as his anger is focused predominantly on the Imperials and not at all focused on them. Even if they notice he is evil, as long as he is killing, torturing, maiming the Imperials will they really have a moral problem with that? From the short descriptions I would think maybe not.

The only exception seems to be the fifth character, the young female force user. She seems to be the only character for whom the Rebellion provides a purpose in life and service in a just cause. For the turned character to have a chance at Redemption it would have to be through some positive connection with her. If both players are good roleplayers and the two characters have or can forge a strong connection whether romantic, personal, or even a previously unknown family connection – maybe she is his…sister? – something to give a compelling reason for the turned character to risk all to come back to the light, then this plot has a chance at success.

But it looks like this is a risky strategy from a metagame perspective since it seems more likely that this group will drag the young jedi down to the Dark Side rather than facilitate a return from the Dark Side for the Jedi who has turned. I think it would be more likely to succeed if the young jedi is looked on as a bit of an innocent by the other four characters or maybe the conscience of the party. If they value her opinion of them, that may help them to reinforce her POV rather than simply accept the Dark Jedi’s actions and arguments that the ends justifies the means.

It certainly seems like it would be good to get buy in from all the players on undertaking a risky campaign sub-plot, since this may just get all of their characters dead or turned to the Dark Side. But it does have potential for an epic campaign subplot.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a few of the characters will 'grow into' the rebellion as the campaign proceeds. Atm we are some time before the battle of Yavin, and 'The Rebellion' (Alliance) does not exist yet. Instead there are several groups of different sizes that fights the empire. I think the Mercenary and the Wookie are the ones with most 'issues' (both are rather short tempered and tend to act on violent impulses) keeping them from becoming truly integrated in the rebellion. The Twilek has more or less reformed allready, even though he is still a bit fishy. The Khazorian has his honour code that will keep him on the right side of the line.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about Khazorians. Are they something you invented for your campaign?

If he has an honor code and it can somewhat align with whatever moral code the young Jedi has and if both are somewhat similar to the Jedi code, then they might be the best bet to help bring the Dark Sider back to the light.

If you and your group decide to play that out, I'd be curious to hear how it works out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Wookie Rasta Medic. Well, what can you say about a wookie with dreads that walks around in a poncho, who has a anger management problem (even for a wookie) that he 'medicates' with different illegal methods?

Woa.. A drugged up doc.. i would love to see the reaction from people when they find that out after he worked on them..

Quote:
A young female force 'prodigy'. Even though she is just about 16 years old and with little training she is very powerful with the force.

Can you define what you mean by prodigy? And force powerful?? Has she higher than norm C/S/A scores but few skills..

Quote:
She ended up living a miserable life among the different minor starports along the hydian way, hitching a ride with different spacers. She made her living by conning and stealing, earning her an 'ackumulated' DSP (and started game as a 'failed' jedi despite her age). When she found a small rebel group she found some purpose in life and a just cause. She is perhaps the groups most 'rebel like' character.

Has she done or shown anything that would indicate she was worthy of (willing to) try and redeem herself?

Quote:
Of the first four characters you describe: the Khazorian and the Human Mercenary are both out for revenge; the Wookiee has an anger management problem; and the Twilek is shady. You did not mention any higher purpose (e.g. freedom and safety of others) in their service with the Rebellion. It seems like none of the four would have a problem with a Dark Side Jedi as long as his anger is focused predominantly on the Imperials and not at all focused on them. Even if they notice he is evil, as long as he is killing, torturing, maiming the Imperials will they really have a moral problem with that? From the short descriptions I would think maybe not.

All though with LL 4 of their backrounds, i can easily see the Rebels eventually having a problem with their actions..

Quote:
She seems to be the only character for whom the Rebellion provides a purpose in life and service in a just cause. For the turned character to have a chance at Redemption it would have to be through some positive connection with her

IMO until she herself has redeemed, she cannot be a redeemer for someone else.

Quote:
But it looks like this is a risky strategy from a metagame perspective since it seems more likely that this group will drag the young jedi down to the Dark Side rather than facilitate a return from the Dark Side for the Jedi who has turned.

I can see it... Heck i would put odds on it, 4 to 1.. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I think the Mercenary and the Wookie are the ones with most 'issues' (both are rather short tempered and tend to act on violent impulses) keeping them from becoming truly integrated in the rebellion

Are either of them force sensitive?? If so, i can easily see THEM racking up dark side points.

Quote:
I know nothing about Khazorians. Are they something you invented for your campaign?

Must be. Nothing on them in Gry's Complete aliens PDF.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Yes indeed. I have a player that usually always plays a dwarf (in our earlier AD&D and WFRP days), and his mentality and mannerism really suits a dwarf. As I before played a lot of Space Marine Epic where 'Squats' featured I just imported the 'race' but renamed them Khazorians. As said above, more or less Dwarfs in Space.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking through the Aliens book, the following races look/are short and would have easily fit in for dwarves in space...

Bimms.
Caarite
Drall
geelan
Jenet
Kitonak
Najib
Ugunaughts

Could not one of those worked..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Just looking through the Aliens book, the following races look/are short and would have easily fit in for dwarves in space...

Bimms.
Caarite
Drall
geelan
Jenet
Kitonak
Najib
Ugunaughts

Could not one of those worked..

Only the Ugnaughts ever remotely resembles 'dwarfs in space' apart from being short. However, as the player dont want to play a pig-like species I had the choice of redoing Ugnaughts or importing the 'Squats' (ie Khazorians) to SW. As redoing Ugnaughts would mean too much for the big picture I choose to import the Khazorians. By chance I even found a system, Karazak, both with a similar name, riddled with tunnels, and plagued by slavers. Just a slight rewrite of the history of this obscure world was needed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the bimms and drall are close to what i would have envisioned for dwarves in space.

But i was merely pointing out there were examples out there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: