The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

R2 Units
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> R2 Units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belshazzar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: R2 Units Reply with quote

Hi... I would like to ask to you what an R2 unit can actually do while serving on a starfighter... The Rules are not very clear and scattered... also, if you use the repair rules for SWD6 it's impossible to do what R2D2 did on the First Death Star attack (repairing Luke XWING in a very short time)...

Can a R2 unit pilot a starfighter while a pilot is doing something else? What if the pilot wants to dodge while the R2 is piloting? And what about the opposite? Can R2 Units operate shields and weapons onboard?

Cheers
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: starfighter piloting & gunnery

Artoo did both at the same time with Luke's X-wing in the novel Dark Force Rising.

Recently in the Clone Wars series, we've seen him piloting the Delta-7B fighter several times, evaded heavy fire in atmo and in space, and made hyperspace jumps all by himself.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2's can make repairs while in space, and IIRC it is possible to make the repair in one round at higher difficulty.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 1E, my impression of the fluff text of X-Wings and Y-Wings in the SW Sourcebook was that the Hull stats are only that high because they have an R2s interfaced with them for quick in-flight repairs and rerouting of power. These little actions just keep the X-Wing going and don't require rolls. I think they were going for a simple mechanic by incorporating the R2's in-flight actions into the Hull code instead of nickel-and-diming us gamers with more crunchy mechanics.

Quote:
R2, that stablizer's broken loose again. See if you can't lock it down.

Luke didn't seem to have an noticeable problem from that stablizer breaking loose. Perhaps it would only be a problem down the road if the R2 unit didn't do anything (made it so that the next hit's damage didn't resist at a lower hull code). Maybe R2 would have done that any way ever if Luke hasdn't asked him to.

Otherwise, does it really seem right that X-Wings and Y-Wings have 4D Hull codes compared to the other ships? Without shields, are they really 2D more sturdy than TIE fighters? The mighty B-Wing only has 3D Hull... because there is no R2 interface.

If you wanted to maintain the simplicity of the droid-Hull mechanic but further recognize the R2-unit's contribution to the Hull stat, you could rule that if the droid is damaged and can't perform its duties (like Artoo before Luke destroyed the Death Star), or if the ship is flying without the droid, then the hull code of the starfighter is reduced 1D or something.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, most R2 units (along with all R series) will only be able to pilot, activate shields, do minor repairs, use sensors and comms and plot hyperspace routes (and activate the hyperdrive).. Since they are NOT combat droids, i do not see them using shipboard weapons.. R2D2 is an exception...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal
Quote:
For me, most R2 units (along with all R series) will only be able to pilot, activate shields, do minor repairs, use sensors and comms and plot hyperspace routes (and activate the hyperdrive).. Since they are NOT combat droids, i do not see them using shipboard weapons.. R2D2 is an exception...

Yep. Me too.

Whill
Quote:
Otherwise, does it really seem right that X-Wings and Y-Wings have 4D Hull codes compared to the other ships? Without shields, are they really 2D more sturdy than TIE fighters?

I always assumed the X-wing was an analog of the durable WWII Hellcat and TIE was an analog for the fast but fragile Zero. Also since my PCs fly X-Wings and the bad guys fly TIEs the difference in durability is kind of a play advantage. Wink
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed the hull bonus for x-wings and y-wings was for their particle shields, which are factored into the hull code.

From 2nd ed R&E

Quote:
Shields

Starship shields are electronic energy dampers
which help absorb some of the damage from enemy
attacks. Shields come in two main varieties: particle
and energy/ray shields.

Particle shields deflect all sorts of physical objects,
including asteroids, missiles and proton torpedoes.
They are used at all times, except when a ship launches
fighters, missiles or torpedoes (the shields must be
dropped to allow physical objects to pass through
them). When a ship lowers its particle shields, reduce
its hull code by -2D. (A ship which loses its main power
generator also loses its particle shields.)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: R2 Units Reply with quote

[quote="belshazzar"]Hi... I would like to ask to you what an R2 unit can actually do while serving on a starfighter... The Rules are not very clear and scattered... also, if you use the repair rules for SWD6 it's impossible to do what R2D2 did on the First Death Star attack (repairing Luke XWING in a very short time)...

belshazzar wrote:

Can a R2 unit pilot a starfighter while a pilot is doing something else?

Yeah, it basically the same as having a copilot to help you coodinate.

belshazzar wrote:

What if the pilot wants to dodge while the R2 is piloting? And what about the opposite?

No. I7d think that dodge would require someone to fly the ship and so be piloting it too.

belshazzar wrote:

Can R2 Units operate shields and weapons onboard?

Yup.

belshazzar wrote:

also, if you use the repair rules for SWD6 it's impossible to do what R2D2 did on the First Death Star attack (repairing Luke XWING in a very short time)...

Technically true. However, since R2 did just that in the film I7d say that the rules are "wrong" here. One of the supplments, STAR WARRIORS. has a rule for doing temporary repairs. THat is jury rigging something up that will work, but won7t last long. The This would work out to something like Moderate difficulty for light damage, Difficult for heavy, and Heroic for Severe.

With that, R2 could, for example, fix a faulty stabilizer (Light damage to maneuverability) for a battle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: