The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

(A) Engineering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> (A) Engineering Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: (A) Engineering Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there's any documentation out there for permanent modification of a weapon/ship/equipment using the (A) Engineering skill? If so, can you direct me to them via link or download or what-have-you?

I know the rules for using the regular repair skill to jury-rig equipment with the increased chances for failure. I've got a character who wants to be a droid engineer who builds his own creations and it would be nice to know if there are rules from WEG out there before I homebrew something.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not. The only book that made details of the Engineering skill was Hideouts and strongholds and only went into detail on the Architectural one.

Currently our rp group is working on figuring out systems for both weapon and armor engineering, as well as modifications and material beyond standard. Afterward we plan to make a pdf guide out of it but atm there is no timeline.

Also we hadn't planned on doing Droid Engineering yet. If you decide to come up with something, may I have a look at it afterward?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My quick and dirty idea was to modify the jury-rig system but replace the Repair skill with the appropriate (A) Engineering skill and remove the chance for the weapon to malfunction if the roll is successful.

Additionally the (A) Engineering dice can be added in for regular repair rolls. So if a character has 4D Technical, 6D in Blaster Repair and (A) Blaster Engineering 2D, they'd roll 8D on a normal repair roll, 6D + 2D.

Let's say to increase a blaster rifle from 5D damage to 5D+1 you'd need to make an easy repair roll of 7, plus the costs of the components. So substitute your character's skill in (A) Blaster Engineering instead. Let's say that's 2D. You roll an 8. The blaster rifle is now at 5D+1 damage.

How does that sound?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
My quick and dirty idea was to modify the jury-rig system but replace the Repair skill with the appropriate (A) Engineering skill and remove the chance for the weapon to malfunction if the roll is successful.

Additionally the (A) Engineering dice can be added in for regular repair rolls. So if a character has 4D Technical, 6D in Blaster Repair and (A) Blaster Engineering 2D, they'd roll 8D on a normal repair roll, 6D + 2D.

Let's say to increase a blaster rifle from 5D damage to 5D+1 you'd need to make an easy repair roll of 7, plus the costs of the components. So substitute your character's skill in (A) Blaster Engineering instead. Let's say that's 2D. You roll an 8. The blaster rifle is now at 5D+1 damage.

How does that sound?

Sounds promising, but are you going to limit weapon modification to the standard +1D+2 above the base?

From my understanding, the (A) Engineering skills are used for designing new technology. So instead of modding an existing weapon to 5D+1, perhaps taking the parts from several weapons, and designing a new weapon that has a base of 5D+1. And since professional engineers would have a 4D (A) Engineering skill, setting something like a moderate to upper end easy roll makes sense to me. I would say that based on improvements over existing tech, maybe increase difficulties by 2 levels per D, per range, ect...

For example:

5D is the average blaster rifle, the engineer decides that he wants to design a new weapon that is compact as an E-11, but packs the punch of a heavier rifle, say 6D. Fabricating existing tech is fairly "easy", so we'll say 8, but because he wants to up damage by 1D, the difficulty gets upped 2 levels to difficult, lowest difficulty is 16. If the professional engineer hopes to succeed, he'd better take his time, and/or spend some CP. Otherwise, I'd go with a standard difficulty modifier +5 or something per 1D.

As for cost, I'd say 1.5x normal, or maybe 2x depending. Keep in mind that when making the baseline that high, you can then modify the weapon up by another 1D+2. Designing a weapon should take time, several months or even years. Although maybe cutting down time for designs based on rolls or CPs spent to reduce.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah in our system we use engineering for designing new weapons or assembling ones from mere parts. Our modification rules use the repair skill, though that is an interesting idea to allow engineering to be added to repair.

engineering is for things like - drawing out plans to design a blaster that uses a different fuel source, our that starts at its highest possible dmg, or that is so balanced that it grants attack bonuses.

Repair can be used to convert weapons to the same as above but usually adds penalties, where as engineered designs won't but will take far longer and require the assembly of an entirely new weapon.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only documentation for modding weapons I've seen is in the 2nd edition R&E listed right before the TECH skills. Galaxy Guide 6 Tramp Freighters has modding rules for ships. The only place I've seen rules for (A) Engineering has been in Hideouts and Strongholds

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Regular mods would be limited to the +1d+2 max. BUT with just engineering, i could see trying to make a flat NEW weapon doing more.. but the diff would be based on how much more than the baseline it is.
EG taking a blaster pistol (4d damage is standard) to a Thunderer (6d+2) would be at least a very difficult (A) engineering roll.

Each additonal thing beyond that, like say having a blaster 'ranged for a skilled marksman, similar to how the blaster pistols made by the 'black sands of socorro (sp)' group Calli-merced does (someone less than 6d in blaster suffers a 1d penalty, someone with 6d or more gains a 1d bonus) would say add a 10 to the target number rolled.

I also use Engineering for actual Switching out items on a ship with no complication possibilities. So taking your X2 hyperdrive out to make room for that new (stolen) X1/2 drive you acquired, would normally be around a diff repair roll, but flubbing it (1 on the wild) would give you some sort of complications when using it. If you just went with engineering vice repair, you don't have to worry about that (unless you roll NOTHING but 1s on your dice... then the fates have decreed you suck!
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the responses. I'll be using different suggestions and trying them out over the course of the campaign.

My player wants to be an exotic alien droid engineer but doesn't want to be a Sluissi or Verpine or even a Jawa. We'll see what happens.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have him go squib.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squib don't get any technical bonuses.

I was presenting him with races that get huge bonuses to technical, as that would be the only way for him to really get what he wants from a starting character.

It's not too often I can give a player all the ridiculous things they ask for and still follow the rules. Now I can and the player doesn't want any of the super options I'm giving him.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an Anomid, they get an extra 6D to play with in Technical skills. Even though their attribute maxes at 4D.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
yeah in our system we use engineering for designing new weapons or assembling ones from mere parts.

If the 'mere parts' are mostly scrapped parts found in a junkyard, then perhaps Jawa-rigging is what you need.. Laughing
(To make Jawas a bit more competetive compared to among Verpine (see the thread Verpine are eating my Jawas), I came up with Jawa-rigging. Basically Jawas can repair and actually build stuff from junk. It might not be the best heavy blaster, and it might not be good for even 100 shots, but it cost 10 credits in parts.. Laughing

I was inspired by this...

Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol that is friggin awsome. I want that pic. where can i get it?
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click - View Image - right click - Save as?

*pats Lancil* Its okay, we all have those moments.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Ok, suddenly I'm picturing MediEvil and the mecha Imps. You see a Jawa like that you do one of three things.

1. Try hitting 'em with everything you got, especially any explosives, and hope it at least stuns the heck out of them.

2. Run away as fast as you can.

3. Hope their on your side. Razz

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: