The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The überness of the Jedi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> The überness of the Jedi. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

You know, there are Jedis who doesnt bend in the wind like a straw of grass.. Laughing

As we nimble and bendy Jedi say...It's better to bend than break!
Critias
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's less important for a GM to be worried about who'd win in a toe-to-toe fight, and more important for a GM to see to it that every party member gets a chance in the spotlight.

Sure, the Jedi might be the only one who can stand up to the Sith Marauder and take him down in melee combat, mano y mano...but what about the Brash Pilot being the one that flies them in past the Sith Marauder's new pirate gang, through skies filled with Z-95 Headhunters and laser bolts? The smuggler that runs into an old buddy that's signed on with those bloodthirsty spacers, and has to get in a quick-draw showdown with his old comrade, who's know the Marauder's right hand man? The Bounty Hunter who single-handedly takes on a boarding party of Marauder-trained criminals, keeping them off the Jedi's back so he can focus on the fight?

Luke went after Vader and the Emperor alone, sure...but that was all while Han, Leia, Chewie, and even Lando and Wedge, were all going after the other targets that were just as important (if not more so), that only they could handle.
ggmoridin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also depends on how smart you play the character as well... stupid jedi don't live long (ie. "I'll jump in front of 2 droidaca WITHOUT a lightsaber and draw their fire" crawling from the vent which conveniently had been set up as the only way in... splat splat "oh wait... I'm dead!") Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the longer home games i had, we had 3 jedi pcs but not one 'stole the show' even in combat with their LS combat. Area effect weapons, firearms (SHOTGUNS) and even good old grenades kept them from ruling the day.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the longer home games i had, we had 3 jedi pcs but not one 'stole the show' even in combat with their LS combat. Area effect weapons, firearms (SHOTGUNS) and even good old grenades kept them from ruling the day.

Yeah, you basically have to deny them close combat (even though I only allow the Jedi to add half their Sense skill to LSC skill), or come up with some really nasty opponents (Magnaguard).
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything in regards to combat. With one exception...no other character type feels as close to being dead than a Jedi.
Madwand
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a couple of Jedi in our (quite long-running) campaign. Who's the most powerful PC? Hard to say for sure because everyone has their own specialties and combat is rare, but it's probably my PC, the droid engineer with no combat skills and who isn't even force sensitive. Why? Well, it might have something to do with the fact he's rich. He owns a fleet of capital ships (though is only using one as his flagship), starfighters, shuttles and scores of powerful combat droids. He has slowly built up his own trading, mining, and production business from nothing, relying mostly on the power of math and his own engineering and business talent, and the skills of many, many droids. So far this hasn't been a problem because my PC is relatively pacifistic, and prefers to let the other PCs deal with combat while supporting them with whatever they need.

So the secret of managing Jedi? Let the non-Jedi take advantage of the fact that they don't have any obligation to be "poor". De-emphasize combat, or allow the PCs to solve situations by applying non-combat skills. And don't be afraid to let your PCs have money! (but enforce the Jedi's requirement to stay relatively cash-poor)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: