The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How would Bounty Hunters find the characters..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How would Bounty Hunters find the characters.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: How would Bounty Hunters find the characters.. Reply with quote

Several of the characters in our group have a background option 'Hunted' at maximum level, which means 'the empire'. So, for different reasons they are hunted by the empire (apart from being rebels, which they arent really yet). All the reasons are serious enough for them to have large bounties on their heads (one 'blew up' a star destroyer etc, others are 'known' force users).

Now they have made an emergency landing on Nar Shaddaa in an escape pod. A group of highly sought after people setting down an escape pod on a street on a planet like Nar Shaddaa should result in some kind of Bounty Hunter trouble. Given the size of the galaxy how should any Bounty Hunter recognize they are dealing with a 'walking retirement fund'? Also, even when the Bounty Hunters catch up with the characters, poof they escape to hyperspeed and were back at square one.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bounty hunters won't recognize then and then start chasing.

Bounty hunters will decide to go after them, study them, track them, follow them, and ambush them.

Perhaps a small group of lower level bounty hunters need to ambush the pc's....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being Nal-shadar to my recollection does not have a guild office for the bounty hunter's guild, i would say that unless they had a datapad or holo of said current "empires most wanted", they would have to be told.

When i have them hunted, some of the things i have are several official places which show (on holoscreens) current bounties with names, cash values, etc. much like america's most wanted.
Or i have people who are hunters put 'feelers' out to their underworld contacts that if they see X, to call them....
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Bounty hunters will decide to go after them, study them, track them, follow them, and ambush them.

Yeah, but somebody should recognize them(and tell the BH:s for tip money), or else PCs are more or less safe as long as they dong go home visiting their folks..
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
jmanski wrote:

Yeah, but somebody should recognize them(and tell the BH:s for tip money), or else PCs are more or less safe as long as they dong go home visiting their folks..

yeah...... no.

1. you can track hyperdrive trails. the empire has numerous ships designed to do just such. all they need is a readout of the trail of thier ship. which if the group is smart enough can be masked or changed. but that part of the fun.

2. every planet - bh guild or not will have wanted posters - most of civilization doesn't want trouble or trouble walking among them.

3. bounty hunters as said before will learn everything they can about thier target, and depending on the payout, thier desire to catch them (could be a personnel vendetta - as in bh had family on that star destroyer), will track them as long as it remains profitable. feel free to equip your bounty hunters. give thm knowledge of pcs, perhaps even thier known fears. give them gear, I have seen bounty hunters incorporate droids in high traffic areas that scan facial features to scan for targets on the top Xx list.

4. there is ALWAYS a way.

5. remember not to take it TOO far, this is ment to be fun - make sure that your players do get breaks for the chase, if they can't be safe anywhere it will cease to be fun, remember that entire systems still outright refuse empire control and have the firepower to back that up.

my 5 cents.
Critias
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of bounty hunters chasing people from planet to planet is just one of the "take it with a grain of salt, it's part of the game" aspects of Star Wars. In real life, bounty hunters have trouble finding someone in just one city, nevermind a state, country, or the whole world.

In Star Wars, though? A little Investigation, a little Streetwise, and a little "for the good of the plot" go a long way. It often feels like everyone has a reputation on the system/galactic scale, in Star Wars, so I'd say not to overthink it, just do what's fun for the game.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critias wrote:
The concept of bounty hunters chasing people from planet to planet is just one of the "take it with a grain of salt, it's part of the game" aspects of Star Wars. In real life, bounty hunters have trouble finding someone in just one city, nevermind a state, country, or the whole world.

In Star Wars, though? A little Investigation, a little Streetwise, and a little "for the good of the plot" go a long way. It often feels like everyone has a reputation on the system/galactic scale, in Star Wars, so I'd say not to overthink it, just do what's fun for the game.

Yeah, I had that in mind... Smile

What I meant was, its Nar Shadda! If a group of highly sought after people with no connections can walk down the street there without problems, they should be safe anywhere... Laughing
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to start for Bounty hunters is a little study of the PCs. Descriptions of who they are, what they look like, where they can typically be found, who they typically hang out with (both the actual people and the type of people such as smugglers, gamblers, mercs, etc.), what kind of ship they fly, etc. Having wanted posters to get an idea of these things is a good starting point.

I did several wanted posters as a joke for Jamfke's game here, see my PC's in my sig. The categories on it came from a printable handout in the 2nd R&E GM Screen. Type replaced the Species and Sex lines since Kabakh is a droid. Using both the GM screen and Cynabars Fantastic Technology: Droids led to the classification based on the droid laws listed there. And because it's the Empire issuing it, some of the charges are trumped up or entirely fake. But it would offer a bounty hunter a point to start a hunt from. They wouldn't immediately go after Kabakh just grabbing the wanted poster, they'd use it to get a little more info on how to find him. Known associates would be helpful because they could then start looking them up. Particulary Qassar. Since it says he's believed to be Kabakh's master, then it's likely you find Qassar you find Kabakh. A little research on Qassar would reveal he own's a ship, Du Cass' Dream. So the bounty hunter can be on the look out for the ship and where it's been going, narrowing down possible destinations based on it's consumeables and it's recent locations.

The rest is up to luck. Once they locate the ship, however, they can attach a homing beacon to increase their chances of following and capturing Kabakh. But the more they know about him, the greater the chances of locating him.

Wanted Poster
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a private investigator in real life. A bit of logic actually goes quite far. Consider Han Solo, who gets a bounty on his head.

He runs spice in the Outer Rim, which means he probably does not hang out anywhere with a strong law enforcement presence. And he has ties to Jabba's org which is mostly based on Tatooine. Solo is not of the type to go to ground or buy a moisture farm to use as a hideout, so there is pretty much just one place to go to which is Mos Eisley.

Someone who makes a strong effort to not be found is probably impossible to find in a big galaxy. People without means however are restricted in where they can go and what they can do.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han had a place on Nar Shaddaa, the infamous Smuggler's Moon.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus if they use any services, that will leave a trail that can be followed. So can some of their criminal activities.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Han had a place on Nar Shaddaa, the infamous Smuggler's Moon.

And coincidentally this is where the players are.

I basically want to know your opinions about the risks of a whole gang of highly sought after individuals walking the streets of Nar Shadda after making a high profile landing...(
The players took part in crashing the TIE fighter factory orbiting the moon and landed with an escape pod in the middle of a street in the Corellian sector. The factory was timed to crash in an abandoned sector so there was 'minimal' damage when the 2 km facility crashed.. Laughing )
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shop keeps and civilians screaming and running for cover, emergency medical being called immediately, followed by security.

even on Nar Shadda they are gonna be hounded for a bit due to the destruction and chaos they caused.

though if they just run for cover from the pod and then keep their heads low and blend in - they should be okay for a while.

That is until someone notices them because of bounties on them or because sec is trying to find people matching their description to settle debts for the damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
shop keeps and civilians screaming and running for cover, emergency medical being called immediately, followed by security.

even on Nar Shadda they are gonna be hounded for a bit due to the destruction and chaos they caused.

though if they just run for cover from the pod and then keep their heads low and blend in - they should be okay for a while.

That is until someone notices them because of bounties on them or because sec is trying to find people matching their description to settle debts for the damage.

Now the chaos from the landing drew some attention, and there are a few people following them to find out who they are and what their business is. As the group is well armed and has a few 'tough guys' no one has moved against them.

I remember reading the 'Bounty Hunters' novel, where 4LOM has a Most wanted list downloaded in his memory. He then continously keep checking people he meets vs this list, apparently with some luck. If one could get a recording of the characters one could run a computer seach against their faces (if recorded in the list) and known associates.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about like what happened to Wedge and co from the novel "Star fighters of Adumar" happen here. With cameras etc following them around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: