The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jet Packs & Movement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Jet Packs & Movement Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Jet Packs & Movement Reply with quote

Let's take the Hush-About model in 2nd Edition R&E, for example.

It can travel up to 200 meters vertical, or 500 meters horizontal, on a single charge. Does this mean a character can travel 200m/500m in a single round? How does this work for actual Moves?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. You get to fly a decent distance.. All in 1 round, on one action. Though woe betide you if you miss your mark. Had someone use one of those through a smoke screen right head first into a thick oak tree..
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But... that's way faster than an airspeeder. That can't possibly be right.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's 7 to 17 Gs... well into blackout land.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a movement of 500m per round for a jet pack has definite comedic value -- are there any recommendations on how movement should work for jet packs?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get confused as to how long a round is but if a round is six seconds then moving 500m in six seconds means that you're traveling five kilometres a minute or three hundred kilometres an hour.

That does seem to be a bit much considering you don't even have the protection of a speeder bike.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... the book also says rocket packs are "considerably faster" than jet packs. And the stats for a "rocket pack" are 70m vertical and 160m horizontal for a single charge.

I'm thinking the jet pack has too many zeroes. Instead of 200m / 500m, it should probably be 20m vertical / 50m horizontal. That'd make it less fast than the jet pack. And it makes more sense with stats I'm seeing elsewhere.

If someone travels less than the maximum distance per charge, does it still use the charge?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But look at your cost between the two in the R&E. 1,800 credits for the jet pack vs. 400 for the rocket pack. It's cheaper to buy the rocket pack. But the trade off is stealth. The book does rocket packs are louder than jet packs.

Wanted Poster
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still have the problem of figuring out in game movement per round. Or do these things simply have non-combat value.

"For my first action, I'd like to activate my rocket pack, and abandon the rest of the party to this brigade of Stormtroopers."
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
We still have the problem of figuring out in game movement per round. Or do these things simply have non-combat value.

I'm going to say the character can move up to a maximum allotted per charge, at Cruising. So, if they wanted to travel at High Speed, it's two charges per round. Or All-Out is 4 charges. Cautious is half a charge. Being that these things only have 10 charges, generally, it makes it pretty reasonable, I think.
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that characters can only shift two levels of speed per round, if they're traveling at All-Out, they'd need an extra round to come to a full stop. This could make for entertaining landing attempts.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can picture a character flailing his arms wildly trying to slow down..... Laughing
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwcroft wrote:
cheshire wrote:

I'm going to say the character can move up to a maximum allotted per charge, at Cruising. So, if they wanted to travel at High Speed, it's two charges per round. Or All-Out is 4 charges. Cautious is half a charge. Being that these things only have 10 charges, generally, it makes it pretty reasonable, I think.

That might be a bit too restrictive. It would certaibly beg the querstion "Why not use repulsorlift instead"?. Resplorilift engines can be that small, and are certainl more reliable.
pwcroft
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could rule that any repulsorlift that small isn't not only much more expensive than a jet pack, but not as fast.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwcroft wrote:
Well, I could rule that any repulsorlift that small isn't not only much more expensive than a jet pack, but not as fast.

You could rule that, but I'm not so sure if the books support that. I think the books support the lower speed, but not the expense.

I think just the one charge each turn the pack is easier, and probably makes sense too. Generally speaking goig faster is usualy less of a case of applying more thrust/power, but more often one of applying the thrust for a longer streach of time. (V=1/2at^2, according to Physics).

So you wouldn't need to use twice as many charges to increase speed, but simply keep spending charges over mutiple rounds.

THe math is a lot simplier, too.

I7d also reccomed appying inertial and "fade back deccleration". That is, once someone cuts power on a jet pack, they wouldn't stop dead, but instead would gradually slow down. So someone who is moving all out and runs out of fuel, wuld slow to a double move, then to a nromal move, and then to a cauious move, before finaally coming to a stop. Notew that without power the character woudn't have much control over his movment either, continuting on the a straight line based upon his current speed and heading.

Of coruse, that's not counting gravity, so coming to a stop when one is 100m up in the air would be problematic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: