The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tking the lightsaber off..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Tking the lightsaber off.. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Tking the lightsaber off.. Reply with quote

Doug Mc Dark jedi and Jedi Joe (the real allderannian hero.. Laughing ) are engaged in a lightsaber fight. Joe realises he is outclassed, but comes up with the idea of using TK to switch off Doug's lightsaber just as he is swinging against Doug.. thereby negating Doug's parry. How would you handle this?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a multi step question. The standard lightsaber turn off is to release pressure on the trigger (unless its in the locked on position). But what if it is different (switch, lever, double click). The TKing jedi will have to know how THIS lightsaber turns off.

So lets assume that he does. He is now trying to concentrate on TK while fighting off an assault of blows (probably 1-2 strikes per second, as a single dice roll consists of probably 7 or 8 swings.).

On top of that he is trying to press a small button on a very quickly moving target. It will be hard to press / move / etc such a button relative to the user. You cant just press relative to the saber, as I think that all TK is relative to the TKer.

Lets assume TKer has a high enough alter to pull it off (and im thinking 30+) i see the following 2 problems:
1: if he misses, he now has MAPS to deal with (even if he hits, if he looses init, the Sith gets to attack him with said MAPs)
2: If Jedi / Sith could do this, they would all be doing it all the time (and would have seen it in books / movies). So that leads me to believe that either A) just not probable enough to try, or B) jedi have been taught to keep a force grip on their lightsabers, and said grip protects against TK attacks as well.

anywho, that's my 2 creds, I wouldn't allow it, but if you did, id put the DC in the heroic area

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a Force user would get to add their Control or something to the difficulty of having their sabers switched off by TK. Jedi and lightsabers share a special bond, so I don't think turning it off against the user's will would be just a matter of moving a little knob with your mind.

Difficulty would be something like:
Very Easy (1kg or less)
+The wielder's attack roll (standing in for the "complex maneuver" modifier
+2 (line of sight, not touching)
+The wielder's Control roll, representing his bond with the lightsaber

The Jedi trying to pull this off would also need to be doing at least two actions that round, in order to make his counter attack hit while the blade is still off.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think there should be an added difficulty for hitting such a small moving target with TK as well no?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moving target part is reflected in addinng the attack roll to the difficulty. That's how wildly the button is moving around.

As for the difficulty of affecting small target (and only that small target), maybe that deserves an extra +5 or something.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
The moving target part is reflected in addinng the attack roll to the difficulty. That's how wildly the button is moving around.

As for the difficulty of affecting small target (and only that small target), maybe that deserves an extra +5 or something.

ahh, that makes sense. so with weilders LSC up that could be a large number in itself. yea i agree with Gry's assessement, perhaps the +5 for just that one small target.

And this is only if the TKer knows how that particular saber turns off.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding the Control roll to the difficulty also makes some sense. I mean, there's got to be a reason why we don't see more Jedi (or Sith) trying to pull lightsabers out of someone's hand, or merely crush the lightsaber with the Force. During the E3 battle, why would Sideous have bothered with lightning instead of crushing the saber unless attempting to attack the saber would have been less effective against Windu. The lightning didn't seem to be doing all that much to Windu as it was.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think adding Sense would make more sense than adding Control.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah... adding Sense would actually make way to much sense... Wink
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure Control is the default defensive Force skill. I'm not sure why that was the decision way back when, though. It seems that they never felt the need to justify that decision.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm not entirely sure Control is the default defensive Force skill. I'm not sure why that was the decision way back when, though. It seems that they never felt the need to justify that decision.

I've always thought it was because "Control" was what the Jedi used for controlling their own bodies.

Alter typically is needed to affect others and inanimate objects, and Sense was augmenting your 5 senses (6 with sense force and the like).

While an opposed Alter roll would make more sense to me, seems like it's more a case of "Strength vs Stamina" where Alter = Strength and Control = Stamina.

Whether I'm right or wrong, no clue. But that's what it comes across as to me.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every time I've seen a lightsaber being weilded in the films the button has to be continually depressed to stay on, that way it's harder to accidentally turn it on in the holder and have it sever a leg or something.

If that's the case then the Jedi weilding it would have his thumb over the button the entire time he's using it so it'd be a case of TK vs Strength but with penalties to the TK due to the size of the target and speed it's moving.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lightsaber buttons work is a very tricky thing. It would seem that it's a button that needs to be constantly pressed down (since sabers always turn off when they fall off their wielder's hands). But if that were the case, it would be practically impossible to twirl a saber or change grips while maintaining the blade ignited. I remember reading somewhere about pressure plates on the saber hilt, so that the saber would turn off if it wasn't being gripped anymore.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, that doesn't do anything when you have someone that has an internal switch to turn on the LS and it lock into place. Then if you're aiming for the outside of the LS to move a finger and turn the LS off, it's gonna fail because the "switch" is on the inside.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
How lightsaber buttons work is a very tricky thing. It would seem that it's a button that needs to be constantly pressed down (since sabers always turn off when they fall off their wielder's hands). But if that were the case, it would be practically impossible to twirl a saber or change grips while maintaining the blade ignited. I remember reading somewhere about pressure plates on the saber hilt, so that the saber would turn off if it wasn't being gripped anymore.

That's a good point, it'd be impossible to do some of those fansy twirling motions without moving your thumb so unless Jedi move it really fast (which is possible but unlikely) those plates sound more likely.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: