The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Looking for the Harch..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Looking for the Harch.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Looking for the Harch.. Reply with quote

I just watched an episode of Clone Wars which featured Admiral Trench, of the Harch species.

Thinking that a spidery NPC would be fun I looked at Alien Stats for the Harch, but they seem to be a new feature.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Harch_(species)

Anyone know if there are any D6 stats for them, or even in in D20 their general layout (ie, are they large/strong, quick, etc)?
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the species design is fresh off the oven. So, no official stats for it unless WOTC squeezes one in before their last book. Otherwise, homebrewed stats would be as good as any.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would certainly not expect anything in the way of official stats for a long time. Not until some other company picks up the SW RPG license. So we might as well brew our own.

We do have some spider-like species for reference, like the Arachnoid, Araquia, Aramandi, Charon, Charr Ontee and Qieg.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Charr Onetee as a starting point, but in the end I think I ended up with a custom statline. Regarding Dex I put it at under human standard due to the Harch having only three fingers per 'hand'. Also, from the CW episode the species does not appear very dextrous. Knowledge is human standard, as I dont have anything else to work with. Regarding mechanical I added a +1 maximum from human to take into consideration that they can use 6 arms and manipulate several controls simultaneously. Perception, well they see very well if spider like, and also from the episode at least Trench seems to have a powerful and sly presence. They also seem rather bulky, and being 'spiders' would be rather strong. Technical i human standard, perhaps lower it for 'balance' but I have nothing to go on here really. Trench seems to know a lot about ship systems and weapons, but that can be specific skills for that specific character.

Harch
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 2D/3D+1
KNOWLEDGE 2D/4D
MECHANICAL 2D/4D+1
PERCEPTION 2D+2/4D+2
STRENGTH 2D+2/5D
TECHNICAL 2D/4D

Poisinous bite: The bite of a Harch delivers a 5D stun poison that takes effect in 1D6 rounds.

6 Arms: Still under construction, ideas are welcome.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dice seem overall a bit too high. He's got 2D above the human normal and only -2 below it. I'd lower the STR a bit, he may look tough, but not so much. I'd lower TEC a bit as well, for balance.

As for the several limbs, there are some extra-limbed species out there for reference. Though I wouldn't do too much with, since it seems Trench leaves his extra arms simply dangling behind him most of the time.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a Harch has extra actions as many as its dice in Dexterity. A Harch that has DEX 2D can perform two actions without penalty, and one with 4D can perform four actions. To balance it out, we cap its max STR at 3D+2, so it can perform lots of tasks, but is physically weak.

Also, maybe a STR+1D pincer attack damage.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
The dice seem overall a bit too high. He's got 2D above the human normal and only -2 below it. I'd lower the STR a bit, he may look tough, but not so much. I'd lower TEC a bit as well, for balance.

As for the several limbs, there are some extra-limbed species out there for reference. Though I wouldn't do too much with, since it seems Trench leaves his extra arms simply dangling behind him most of the time.

In general Im not to concerned about the 'balance' when it comes to the number of attributes that can be set to a high D-value, as this is regulated by the total number of attribute dice availible (which IS a balance issue, just look at Noghri). Its the maximum attributes that concerns me more. In this case I looked at the other 'spidery' creatures and moderated the attributes somewhat.

Regarding arms I dont have much to go on. Sure, Trench just leaves them hanging, but on the other hand hes not doing much övarall and has no use for more arms at the moment. Im thinking a skill bonus to climb tests (as per wookie claws) and perhaps some bonus for using several weapons. However, that would require me to actually come up with a finished idea how dual weapons work for sentients with two arms as a starting point.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Im thinking a skill bonus to climb tests (as per wookie claws) and perhaps some bonus for using several weapons. However, that would require me to actually come up with a finished idea how dual weapons work for sentients with two arms as a starting point.

Like Gry said, check out the stats of other multi-armed aliens to get an idea... and work with standard rule sets if you intend for other people to make use of the stats, rather than working with a homebrew ruleset for dual weapon use. It can always be modified to fit the homebrew rules after the fact.

Gry's alien sourcebook is a great resource for this. There are several aliens to reference, such as Ebranites, Aramandi, Bartokk, Xexto, etc. There really shouldn't be anything ground breaking with this special ability, it's well represented by existing species, and the source material doesn't provide any reason why something special should be cooked up.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetly a Climbing bonus.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also make caffine effect the Harch like very strong alcohol, just look at the effect it has on spiders Smile

http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Jame Rowe
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why all the Separatists in the Clone Wars cartoon are all non-human...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because Xenos are a bunch of dissenters! HUMAN POWER!
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually The Separatists being mostly non humans was intentionally planned by Palpatine so that he could turn galactic opinion against aliens when he swept his pro human Empire into power.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luwingo_Spince wrote:
actually The Separatists being mostly non humans was intentionally planned by Palpatine so that he could turn galactic opinion against aliens when he swept his pro human Empire into power.

Its all part of the masterplan of the Ku Klux Sith.. Wink
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luwingo_Spince wrote:

Hence Raven's comment. I'm sure "Human Power" was intended as an indicator that he knew. That or he's been spending too much time down in the Imperial campaign haha Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: