The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

does anyone else make up ships?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> does anyone else make up ships?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: does anyone else make up ships? Reply with quote

i used to make up new ships by modifying the existing scout ship, ghtroc, and yt-1300, drawing a picture, and calling it something.

the majority of them were saucer shaped, which i explained away by form follows function. docking bays are made for saucer shaped ships.

does anyone want examples of what i am talking about??
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I create stats for things all the time, ships among them. Some of them, I did like you did, modify existing stats and Boom, new ship. Others, I decide what role it should fit, where within the spectrum of its class it should fit in terms of capabilities and draw it up from there.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back in 2005 I posted the stats for the Twin Wing Assualt Bomber I created. I'd used scans of a X-Wing and a B-wing from the original Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels with the idea coming from the P-82 (later F-82 when the designation system changed fighters from P for Pursuit to F for Fighter) Twin Mustang. Twin Wing.

Usually modify exsisting designs for NPCs I create cause they usually use the ships for special purposes. Like a bounty hunter will upgrade weapons, engines, maybe armor and shields, and add cells at the expense of cargo space. New designs I typically take from other sources. Like the DB-84 Raptor design's appearance came from an old G1 Transformers Swoop toy of mine. I also designed this killer light carrier from a different toy. It could only carry four fighters the size of an X-wing, but it's stats made it so other capital ships wanted to get on it's port, starboard, or aft cause if they were facing it's bow it could waste them with a salvo or two from it's torp and missile batteries.

Wanted Poster
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Internet PBP that I play the senior GM has created a couple of ships (at least I think he created them, could have stolen 'em though), a (admitedly very small due to resource restrictions) Super Star Destroyer of sorts, and a Heavy and Light cruiser (this one was meant to be a frigate but performed well enough to be classed up.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what i used as a base template to build some ships. It is a YT-1300 with the engines, weapons, main hyperdrive and passenger space removed based on the tonnages listed in tramp freighter, my turret calculations, and the assumption that the laser cannon is 3 tons. add engines, passenger space, a hyperdrive, shields, and weapons and you have a ship. then just describe and name...

craft stripped down yt-1300 (but you can call it anything you want)
type light freighter
scale starfighter
length 25+1D meters
skill space transports
crew 1 or 2 (can co-ord)
passengers add passenger space(at least 2)
cargo capacity 190t
consumables 2 months
hyperdrive mult install main hyperdrive
hyperdrive b/u x12
nav computer yes
manuverability 0D
space/atmosphere 0 (install engine)
hull 4D
shields 0d (install shields)
sensors
passive 10/0D
scan 25/1D
search 40/2D
focus 2/3D
base price 72,000
bigox6942
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been designing my own ships, stats, and deck plans, ever since the game came out in 1988. I have hundreds of ships, in a huge file cabinet.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovy

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigox6942 wrote:
I have been designing my own ships, stats, and deck plans, ever since the game came out in 1988. I have hundreds of ships, in a huge file cabinet.

Care to scan and share a couple of deck plans?
remo moxey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: does anyone else make up ships? Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
i used to make up new ships by modifying the existing scout ship, ghtroc, and yt-1300, drawing a picture, and calling it something.

the majority of them were saucer shaped, which i explained away by form follows function. docking bays are made for saucer shaped ships.

does anyone want examples of what i am talking about??

My group started out with a stock YT-1300 for the first game we played. We used it for about 2 years then we were tasked by the Alliance to steal a custom ship with a prototype weapons system (death blossom from last starfighter...lol). The Alliance kept the weapons system and we kept the ship.

After that we went through lots of ships....all custom, most sleek and deadly. Then my co-GM comes up with this UGLY concept. It's big and slow but has good maneuverability. We steal it from a BH that was tailing us (the BH ended up dead).

Long story short the ship itself is a beast and soaks up damage. We've been using it for 5 years now and we're all attached to it now. It's survived a point blank turbolaser shot from a Vic II, it did need major repairs though....lol.

I don't have any way to host the stats and pics, but if Cheshire can I'll send you the info.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stripped down ghtroc freighters and yt-1300s and built them back up.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Kira Firestorm
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, my first post.
Ive been playing SW for a very long time over the years, when it first came out i think as a rpg.
Ahh the memories.
Anyway just getting back into the game, but i once designed a Stealth Starfighter for the game, took my pc a very long time to build, test and rebuild and used every part that would allow improvements to Stealth.
For the picture i used a VBR-2 valkryie.
[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: