The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids damage/stun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Droids damage/stun Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClockworkCorsair
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Droids damage/stun Reply with quote

So I'm going to have a few questions as I"m just starting up a new campaign and so far it has gone...awkward.

One of my players is a standard protocol droid modified for espionage work.
I have a few questions about how to damage/heal/stun him.

Under the rules for stun it mentions if a Target that cannot go unconscious would get that result they are instead wounded. Would that apply to a droid as he cannot go unconscious. I know there was a debate if a stun bolt would have any effect on the wiring of a droid but nobody mentioned this ruling.

Also how would I damage the droid? Like a normal character or like a piece of equipment?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been of the opinion that stun bolts wouldn't really damage a droid, much like character scale ion bursts wouldn't harm a character.

If you feel that it must do damage, then you could rule that it does half the normal damage dice.

I was a droid in a campaign once, and I think that I found rules concerning droid damage and repair in Cynabar's Fantastic Technology. I've got a quick reference chart with the damage and repair system (used in lieu of natural healing). It's on my other computer, but I'll get it posted for you as soon as I can get it.
ClockworkCorsair
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested in that damage chart as thats really what I"m looking for.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This damage chart is compiled from the R&E rulebook and Cynabar's Fantastic Technology, so this is pretty much official.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/bFFQRkJZWlRnYU94dnc9PQ
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droids won't take dam from stun. Ion yes, and treat it as stun.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I've been of the opinion that stun bolts wouldn't really damage a droid, much like character scale ion bursts wouldn't harm a character.

If you feel that it must do damage, then you could rule that it does half the normal damage dice.

I was a droid in a campaign once, and I think that I found rules concerning droid damage and repair in Cynabar's Fantastic Technology. I've got a quick reference chart with the damage and repair system (used in lieu of natural healing). It's on my other computer, but I'll get it posted for you as soon as I can get it.

THis is pretty much exactly what I was going to post.

I rule that stun causes no damage to droids; if it's important that they do, I'd use half damage. Of course I would treat ion weapons against biologicals the same way.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ClockworkCorsair
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you every one and chesire. My player is going to hate you now. Silly droids needing to be repaired before getting better. ^^
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he expecting that he could just make a natural healing roll? Yikes. Let me know how that goes over. Really, though, Cynabar's Fantastic Technology would be a great buy for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/087431299X/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Was he expecting that he could just make a natural healing roll? Yikes.

Hmm, I wonder if they have some self repairing droids around? Certainly possible with SW tech. Too costly for mass produced models though.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a droid in the Lando Carissian novels that had nanotechnology that allowed it to self-repair. However, those novels have never set the highest standard for Star Wars-ish materials.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a droid-like race with force akin powers for self healing... It was created for a sparks game (3 modules worth so far iirc)... But other than that, nothing in canon exists for it.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClockworkCorsair wrote:
Thank you every one and chesire. My player is going to hate you now. Silly droids needing to be repaired before getting better. ^^

There are pros and cons that comes with playing droids. Having to be repaired can be one of the cons, if no tech-wiz is present in the party.

Our party has a resident tech-wiz (almost a la 'the grasshoppers') so usually he can make a quick field-fix at least temporarily.

The pros are instead that you can combine CPs with money and programming for character development.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
There was a droid in the Lando Carissian novels that had nanotechnology that allowed it to self-repair. However, those novels have never set the highest standard for Star Wars-ish materials.

The droid race in question is the Silentium, basically a very advanced species of droid that survived the demise of it's parent (biological) race and continued to upgrade itself.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

The Han Solo books aren't exactly fantastic either, but WEG released a whole sourcebook on them.

ZzaphodD wrote:
There are pros and cons that comes with playing droids. Having to be repaired can be one of the cons, if no tech-wiz is present in the party.

Yup. One of the Pros is that in most circumstances the group can get you back to "life" and fix you up after you've been "killed", unless the damage is truly excessive.

Playing a droid involves a series of trade-offs. The droid character tends to be better than starting PCs in one or two areas, and has some nice built in functions. attachments that other characters can't get, and the ability to "buy up" skills and get additional attachments in the future, but pays for it with some low attributes codes, inept at everything outside of it's field of expertise, requiring a skilled tech for repairs and learning new skills, and status as somebody's property.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I know of a droid-like race with force akin powers for self healing... It was created for a sparks game (3 modules worth so far iirc)... But other than that, nothing in canon exists for it.

Yeah, the Iron Knights had a droid self-heal force power. You can find that in the Jedi Academy Training Manual. Though the self-repairing droid can be found here.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vuffi_Raa

As Esoomian said, it's a rare droid race. He's in the first of the Lando Calrissian novels. Unless that's not considered cannon anymore, then there is one example of an extra-galactic droid that can do self-repair/healing.

Of course, this is all just academic interest at this point, because nobody's character belongs to this droid race/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: