The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ion weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Ion weapons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belshazzar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Ion weapons Reply with quote

Hi everybody... I have some questions about Ion weapons and relative game mechanics.

Ion weapons cause ionization damage and ignore shields. This means that ship won't be physically damaged but will become more difficult to control (and, in extreme cases, disabled).

1) If a ship (or other piece of machinery) gets disabled because of ionization, how do you bring it to online-status? (repair time, cost, procedure etc.)

2) Are "controls ionized" results cumulative?

I.e in round A, a X-WING (man 3D) gets 1 CONTROL IONIZED damage (-1D to dam, man, shields for this and next round). In round B the X-Wing gets another 1 CONTROL IONIZED result... how should I interpret this? Will the ship receive -2D to the above mentioned characteristics for this round and -1D next round, or the result just prolongs the -1D penalty for one round more? How about, say, two -1D ionization damage inflicted in the same round by different shots?

3) About the "controls dead" rule, does it apply when the ship gets enough ionization in one round or it cumulates with previous damage inflicted during the battle (even if the effects have faded away, in a way similar to stun damage for characters)?

4) The rules say that ionized ships get penalty to weapons damage as well...
does this apply to physical weapons as well? (missiles etc.)

5) Say that a ship has MAN 2D+2. It gets a "2 control ionized" result. Do the controls become "dead" or it can be hit one more time before that?

Thank you

Last edited by belshazzar on Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I think it has to be reseted/restarted and this takes time. In D20 there was a info how many rounds or minutes takes to turn on specific starship, vehicle, weapon etc.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ion weapons Reply with quote

belshazzar wrote:
Hi everybody... I have some questions about Ion weapons and relative game mechanics.

Ion weapons cause ionization damage and ignore shields. This means that ship won't be physically damaged but will become more difficult to control (and, in extreme cases, disabled).

1) If a ship (or other piece of machinery) gets disabled because of ionization, how do you bring it to online-status? (repair time, cost, procedure etc.)

In D6 ionization is/was a temporary thing. So if you waited it would eventually wear off. The problem is that if, say, you ship if flying into a planet at hight speed, you might not have time to wait.

If the "control dead" result is permanent, there are no specific rules I see to fix them. However, I'd suggest using the rules for repairing Maneuverability.

belshazzar wrote:

I've always assumed that control ionized results are cumulative, since the entry in the rulebook under ship damage implies so (that is how laser cannons can take out the control on an airspeeder like in Empire Strike Back). However they also reduce a level each action round. In the cases you prevented I would:

belshazzar wrote:

I.e in round A, a X-WING (man 3D) gets 1 CONTROL IONIZED damage (-1D to dam, man, shields for this and next round). In round B the X-Wing gets another 1 CONTROL IONIZED result... how should I interpret this? Will the ship receive -2D to the above mentioned characteristics for this round and -1D next round, or the result just prolongs the -1D penalty for one round more?

Use 2D this round and -1 D the next. Otherwise multiple hits won't be much of an effect. A perpetual -1D penalty won't even offset most ships maneuverability rating.

belshazzar wrote:

How about, say, two -1D ionization damage inflicted in the same round by different shots?

Combine them into 2 control ionized results.

belshazzar wrote:

3) About the "controls frozen" rule, does it apply when the ship gets enough ionization in one round or it cumulates with previous damage inflicted during the battle (even if the effects have faded away, in a way similar to stun damage for characters)?

The rules say "if the ship is suffering from". I view that to mean that the effects must be current. So any time a ship is currently suffering from enough ionizations the control freeze. What happened a few rounds ago doesn't matter.

belshazzar wrote:

does this apply to physical weapons as well? (missiles etc.)

Good Question. It should certainly apply to fire control. Applying it to the damage of a physical weapon might be debatable, although in most cases one could argue that the missile loss of accuracy could have resulted in it not doing as much damage as normal (it exploded too early, or the detonator didn't work as well as it should have due to the effects of the ionization).

belshazzar wrote:

5) Say that a ship has MAN 2D+2. It gets a "2 control ionized" result. Does it get frozen or it can be hit one more time before that?

Since the rules say "maneuverability dice" , and the ship has 2 dice of maneuverability, I'd be inclined to say that the ship's controls were frozen.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Being i use a different rules set for ion damage (which i will post below) i have my own rules. I cannot remember seeing official rules for repair times etc to get power back.

Quote:

YUP!

Quote:
3) About the "controls dead" rule, does it apply when the ship gets enough ionization in one round or it cumulates with previous damage inflicted during the battle (even if the effects have faded away, in a way similar to stun damage for characters)?

It is treated like the 'getting knocked out by stun damage for character scale. If you have enough 'controls ionised to where your move/maneuverability are gone, you are dead in the water. BUT again this is just the rules way of doing things.

Quote:

I have never seen that. Care to post the page number?

As to my rules on the subject. See this post.
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=726&highlight=ion

Basically when a ship gets hit, you chart out how many systems it has. And for every 4 over the resistance roll the damage is, is 1 system affected for 1d6 ROUNDS. THough if a system is hit repeatedly, it adds... THEN you get to try and make a repair roll (remembering you first repair roll takes 2 rounds, then 2 minutes, then 2 hours and so on) to try and lessen it. If you make it, your 'shutdown time is half of the remaining time.
EG i hit your freighter with ion damage and roll enough to get 5 systems affected.
you roll and get maneuvering twice (for a combined total of 8 rounds), weapon 1 for 2 rounds, hyperdrive for 5 rounds and nav comp for 4.
If you decide to try and lessen you Maneuvering shutdown time, by the time you have made your repair roll you are down to 6 rounds remaining, so if you make it, you go down to only having 3 left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: