The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Points
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force Points Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasta
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Force Points Reply with quote

I've never understood the reason for force points being used for force powers. I understand it in terms of a game balancing mechanic, but it doesn't quite make sense to me.

It seems odd that a Jedi (or force user) would be unable to use the force due to a lack of force points.

I've always just used DSPs, or withholding character points to deter "using the force for everything". I tell my characters that the force should only be used for knowledge and defense.

Thoughts?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By and large, the Force points aren't used to activate Force Powers, with the exception of a few VERY powerful ones. In such cases, they were sort of a balancing agent.

It's a limitation, but I don't see it as prohibitive as all that. Granted, the emperor might not have been able to get a Force Storm off, but he could still dish out as much Force lightning as he wanted.

I see it as the character needs to draw special focus from the Force to be able to get the power to activate. I don't see a problem with that for such powerful abilities that require it.
Rasta
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that the rules made that distinction. It makes sense though.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if you're looking at d20 Saga, then you have to use Force points for everything. But then, their Force points have no equivalent in D6. Their destiny points are equal to our Force points.
Rasta
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played D6. I must have misread or misunderstood the rules. I have the 2nd Edition book.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta wrote:
I've only played D6. I must have misread or misunderstood the rules. I have the 2nd Edition book.

In that case, I'm happy to clear up the misconception. Smile You'll find that we're a pretty helpful group sometimes.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of only one force power that requires the spending of a force point to use it. Transfer force... Since this is always a heroic action, you are guarenteed to get it back.
Rasta
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Rasta wrote:

In that case, I'm happy to clear up the misconception. Smile You'll find that we're a pretty helpful group sometimes.

Cheers!
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually made the same mistake regarding Force Points and Force Powers when I started playing way back when. After a couple months of playing a Jedi and NEVER using Force Powers, a little extra careful reading of the rulebook set me straight.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
werelyn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: On a related note... Reply with quote

I don't have a book in front of me at the moment, but I had a discussion last night with one of my players:

I have always played using the 1st Ed. rule that Force Points reset at the end of each "Adventure". For my campaign, this usually means one or two sessions.

My player understands the rules to say that Force Points reset at the end of a CAMPAIGN or story arc. So, two questions:

1) What do the 2.5 RE rules actually say?

2) Do you have a different/more effective house rule?

Thanks!
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: On a related note... Reply with quote

They do not reset.
1) You lose it, if you spend it for evil or selfish act.
2) You regain it, if you spend it for doing good thing.
3) You regain it and earn additional for blasting out the Death Star or something Wink.

So always spend it while saving the galaxy! And rescuing Emperor from the hand of rebel scums is the good deed! 8)

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what mine has to say..

Code:
Getting Force Points Back
How Force Points are spent during an adventure determines whether or not the character gets more at the end of the adventure.
Doing Evil. When a character commits evil while spending a Force Point, the character loses the Force Point permanently. The character does receive a Dark
Side Point. (See "Dark Side Points.")
Examples of committing evil include:
• Killing a helpless innocent.
• Causing unnecessary, gratuitous injury.
• Killing except in self-defense or the defense of others.
• Using the Force while angry or filled with hate.
(Force-sensitive characters receive Dark Side Points any time they commit evil since they are closely attuned to the ways of the Force — both its light and dark sides. Force-sensitive characters must be very careful or they will be consumed by the dark side.)

Code:
Being Unheroic. When a character uses a Force Point to do something that is neither particularly heroic nor evil, the character loses the Force Point permanently. Examples of being unheroic include:
• Using lies or deception for gain or advantage.
• Avoiding danger in a non-heroic situation.
• Saving your life in a non-heroic situation.
• Using the point for power, wealth or other personal gain.

Being Heroic. When a character uses a Force Point in a heroic fashion, he gets the Point back at the end of the adventure. Examples of being heroic include:
• Exposing yourself to great danger in the name of good.
• Making sacrifices to help others.
• Taking big risks to help the Rebel Alliance/New Republic or fight the Empire.
• Fighting other forces of evil, such as crime lords or any other group that serves the objectives of the dark side.

Being Heroic at the Dramatically Appropriate Moment. When a character spends a Force Point in a heroic way at the dramatically appropriate moment, the character receives the Force Point back at the end of the adventure and gets another one as well.  Dramatically appropriate moments are any time when success is vital to the story. It's the climactic
moment of an adventure, where the characters confront the main villain or when they're in dire straits.  The characters' success or failure will decide the outcome of the whole story.
Examples of being heroic at the dramatically appropriate moment include:
• Conquering a more powerful and evil foe
• Saving a city from destruction.
• Preventing the deaths of millions of innocent people.
In most cases, a dramatically appropriate moment for a character may
happen during the climax of an adventure or, at most, one other time
during an adventure.  In Star Wars, Luke's destruction of the Death Star was a dramatically appropriate moment. In Return of the Jedi, a dramatically appropriate moment was when Luke confronted the Emperor and refused to become evil — not when he fought the rancor in Jabba's palace.

Not all characters will have a dramatically appropriate moment available to them in every adventure — not even every adventure necessarily has a dramatically appropriate moment.
However, when the character seizes the moment and acts heroically, the rewards can be great.

Doing the Right Thing. How can a character with no Force Points earn them? By being heroic regardless of the risks. If, in your opinion, the character is heroic at the dramatically appropriate time, a character with
no Force Points may receive one at the end of the adventure. (Perhaps the Force favors the character and grants a Force Point at the dramatically appropriate moment even if the character begins the game with none.)

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: On a related note... Reply with quote

werelyn wrote:
I don't have a book in front of me at the moment, but I had a discussion last night with one of my players:

I have always played using the 1st Ed. rule that Force Points reset at the end of each "Adventure". For my campaign, this usually means one or two sessions.

My player understands the rules to say that Force Points reset at the end of a CAMPAIGN or story arc. So, two questions:

1) What do the 2.5 RE rules actually say?

Your player is wrong for any version of the game. They all say that if you get a Force Point back after spending it, it comes back at the end of the adventure. It was never campaign or story arc.

The only thing that changed between the 1st and 2nd editions is that in 1E you could never start an adventure without a FP. Even if you spent your last one unheroicly or for evil, you still got it back at the end of the adventure. In 2E you wouldn't get it back, and to get a FP again you have be heroic at a dramatically appropriate moment (but without a FP). 2.5 says what 2 says.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth…

You get a spent Force Point back at the end of the story if you spent in a reasonably selfless manner.

My house rule is that you gain new Force Points for being AMAZINGLY heroic at dramatically appropriate moments.
NOTE: You do NOT have to spend any Force Points while being amazingly heroic to get a extra one.

IMHO the focus should be on being heroic. Not on ‘is this the best time to get a 2 for 1 FP deal?’

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, my groups almost completely disregards the Force Points. We practically never use them and never receive them. The only few times I can remember someone using a Force Point is when they already considered their character to be a gonner and decided to spend one just for the heck of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: