The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

On reaction skills..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> On reaction skills.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: On reaction skills.. Reply with quote

When you roll a reaction skill for defense you in effect create a new target number used to hit you. The same target number applies no matter how many attacks are directed at you. As long as the attackers do not combine their actions they also has no bonus for multiple attackers.

This seems very logical when we are talking about dodge.

It seems less logical if your parrying attacks in melee/brawling or parrying laser bolts with your lightsaber.

I cant find any modifiers for fighting multiple combatants in melee/brawling (or modifiers for being multiple attackers vs a single defender).

Firstly, am I missing something?
If not, how do you handle this?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: On reaction skills.. Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
When you roll a reaction skill for defense you in effect create a new target number used to hit you. The same target number applies no matter how many attacks are directed at you. As long as the attackers do not combine their actions they also has no bonus for multiple attackers.

This seems very logical when we are talking about dodge.

It seems less logical if your parrying attacks in melee/brawling or parrying laser bolts with your lightsaber.

I cant find any modifiers for fighting multiple combatants in melee/brawling (or modifiers for being multiple attackers vs a single defender).

Firstly, am I missing something?
If not, how do you handle this?

Nope. one roll for defence means any attack has to beat that DC.

That being said, multiple attackers can combine attack getting a higher attack value.

As well, there are 3 basic attacks. Ranged, Melee and Brawling. if you have 2 attacks, one attacking bare handed the other attacking with a knife, you force him to roll 2 defences, thus reducing his dice pool further. get a 3rd person shooting in the distance, then thats 3 defences Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. This is why some people require multiple parries to require multiple actions.

If course A GM could rule that characters who outnumber another character have an advantage and give them a bonus to their rolls, as suggested for advantage in the book.

Something I've been toying with for lightsaber combat is to allow a character to "react" to attacks by taking a mishap in order to get a bonus for their die roll.

I was thinking of allowing this and or spending character points AFTER the attack roll as a type of reaction, but ding so only grants the bonus vs. that one attack.

For example a character has a 25 parry but the attacker rolls a 26. Normally that would be a hit, but my idea is for the character to either:

A) Take a flat +5 to his parry against this one attack, but at the cost of a mishap
B) Spend a character point to improve his defense but only against this one attack.

If the character were double teamed, and the second combatant also beat the target number, the character could do the same thing as before, but his defense would still begin at 25.

With mishaps, I am thinking that taking multiple ones in a round increases the severity of the mishap. So a character could start to desperately parry a series of powerful attacks, but end up prone of the floor. Maybe things like kicks, trips and such could be worked in as mishaps.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started playing, we actually used separate Dodge/parry rolls for each attack, ranged or otherwise... and MAPs applied.

This really worked well to maintaining the "Combat is dangerous" concept that leads into the chapter on combat in the rule book... but is a little tedious in practice. Each incoming attack had its own difficulty, as each had it's own reaction roll... or not... depending on how the player chose to react in the round.

We've since gone to the RAW, rolling a single reaction for all incoming attacks of that type.

Also, I don't use the updated rule allowing you to not declare reactions until they're needed. If you want to avoid an attack, you declare your reaction and take the MAP all the way through.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always before used one action to parry each close combat attack. Quite recently I actuall read the part about melee reaction skills (as the 'one action per parry' way of playing was inherited from a previous gm).

Now im trying to streamline the gameplay towards the RAW, but hardcore RAW seems rather unrealistic so a small modification is in place even if I parry is still only one action. As pointed out above, perhaps a +1D bonus to attack per additional attacker should do the trick.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me when i run home games..
Dodging - 1 roll for all those shooting you. 1 additional roll if someone tossed a grenade your way. 1 additional roll if someone is using a DIFFERENT scaled weapon on you. 1 additional roll if a melee weapon is tossed...

Melee. One parry roll to combat those meleer's, and 1 additional roll for those brawling..
Same with brawl.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my group I`ve created Defenses for Dodge, Melee and Brawling. Characters were always 'dodging/parrying' except when surprised or unable from whatever reasons. Each Defense was equal to 3 time x number of skill dice + pips. To hit the character NPC had to roll character's Defense + any modifiers for cover, visibility, range etc.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that base difficulty, unless they roll?
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Defense DC or Range DC, whichever is higher.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games we did for a time consider separate parries but in the end decided that this slowed down the game and detracted from the swashbuckling heroism of the setting. We wanted combat lethal but not slow.

We have modified the rules for reactions a lot though. We allow dodge or parry to be used against any attack but the appropriateness of the reaction used grants a bonus to the attacker. If you dodge a melee attacker he gains a +2D bonus to hit you for example. You need special knowledge to use some kind of parries (such as parrying a blaster bolt). By using different manoeuvres you can invalidate certain reactions and make it easier to hit an opponent.

If a character is overwhelmed by opponents then his opponents might get a small +1D (or under extremely rare circumstances +2D) bonus to his roll but more often than not we use combined fire and similar to represent overwhelming opponents. We feel that in Star Wars it suits the feel of the setting to allow one player to swarm relatively easily through minion-level character regardless of how many there actually are.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that could work is one action to parry, but separate rolls for each parry. Maybe with a MAP for mutiple foes.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you attack you get deducted on your parry...it goes both way since the attacker would then have to parry.

Combine melee attacks? Combine blaster to hit a parrying Jedi?

Dodge is only one action, so to me it seams that so should lightsaber/melee parry be as well.

Maybe there should also be a full parry. No other action can be taken, but a bonus to parry.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Dodging - 1 roll for all those shooting you. 1 additional roll if someone tossed a grenade your way. 1 additional roll if someone is using a DIFFERENT scaled weapon on you. 1 additional roll if a melee weapon is tossed...

Melee. One parry roll to combat those meleer's, and 1 additional roll for those brawling..
Same with brawl.

This means that your more likely to get hit if your opponent hits you with a lightsaber and puts a fist in your face, than attacking with the lightsaber twice.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Same with brawl.

This means that your more likely to get hit if your opponent hits you with a lightsaber and puts a fist in your face, than attacking with the lightsaber twice.

Exactly! its harder to defend against odd attacks, and attacks from different angles.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Same with brawl.

Exactly! its harder to defend against odd attacks, and attacks from different angles.

Even better would be to attack with vibroblade then lightsaber, drop vibroblade and punch... Wink

Nah, even if unexpected moves should be encouraged I dont see making separate defence rolls vs different kinds of close combat attacks the answer.

If wanted to stick somewhat close to the RAW, Id make parrying each attacker a separate action for close combat. Id also make parrying blaster shots a separate action, with some penalty for multiple blaster shots each round (not -1D for each, but to keep away from silliness like parrying 10 shots at full skill).

Now Im working on a Duelling Blades version, so I dont handle multiple attacks anymore. But several opponents are still an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: