The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Looking for rules for uses of Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Looking for rules for uses of Force Powers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Looking for rules for uses of Force Powers Reply with quote

I have two problems regarding rules for the following:

Force Lightning in combination with Lightsaber Combat.
In the TFU game you can enhance your lightsaber damage by infusing it with force lightning. This makes the lightsaber cause more damage, but afaik not equal to actual Force Lightning use. I have looked in the source book conversion but found nothing. Sadly I dont own the d20 original.

Are there any rules from the Saga edition that covers this? Or have anyone seen any rules for this.

Another case.
I want a Dark Jedi to be able to sense persons (he have never met) in an escaping ship and try to kill them with TK to stop the ship. Obviously killing the pilot is the first choice to keep them from escaping. Ive read through the descriptions about Life Sense, Life Detection and TK, but cant really find out if this is possible by the RAW, or if I need to 'stretch it' to make it possible (in which case it might be 'unfair' given that the escapees are the PCs). Anyone who can shed some light on this?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since life sense is modified by relationship AND proximity, it would depend on how close he is to use it on the pc AND what his skill level are.
He has at least +5 for prox for being at least 1-100 meters away and +20 for being total strangers. So you are looking at a 30 bare min to use that, THEN once that is successful i could see allowing TK to be used but again that is based on how far away he is for the diff.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the lightning saber thing, I haven't seen that converted.. though in d6 Force Lightning isn't all that powerful... lightsaber combat generally confers more damage than lightning does.

As for the second part, is the Dark Jedi a PC or NPC? If it's an NPC, the mechanics really don't matter, just do it if it's essential for the plot. In direct confrontation with PCs, NPC actions should probably run by the rules, but for plot devices, you get a lot of leeway.

Telekinetic Kill is probably the power you'd want to use for a PC. There isn't really an appropriate Sense skill to sense an unknown individual over those kinds of distances... but there's no reason why you couldn't fudge the rule a little. By RAW, the difficulty of both of these powers would be somewhere in the Heroic+ range, so, unless your Dark Jedi PC is quite powerful, success isn't likely without some rule bending.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, since life sense is modified by relationship AND proximity, it would depend on how close he is to use it on the pc AND what his skill level are.
He has at least +5 for prox for being at least 1-100 meters away and +20 for being total strangers. So you are looking at a 30 bare min to use that, THEN once that is successful i could see allowing TK to be used but again that is based on how far away he is for the diff.

The wording of the pöwer indicates that the force user is looking for a specific person. This I interpreted as such that the user of the power must know who he is looking for, at least having seen him before. By your answer above I assume you do not share this view of the power. This would of course solve my problem, but I dont want to make the power to powerful. In the future the tables might be turned, even if TK is not the goal of the PC.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the distance will probably start with a few hundred meters and quickly increase as the characters speed away...if they know whats best for them...
Regarding power of the NPC. He will be quite powerful but not one of the top baddies, actually it will be right after he has killed a Jedi at an orbiting spaceship factory...(vagueness because of player on this board, but you can probably guess who...).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
For the lightning saber thing, I haven't seen that converted.. though in d6 Force Lightning isn't all that powerful... lightsaber combat generally confers more damage than lightning does.

What I mean is that in the game the additional damage does not seem to equal a separate Force Lightning, but instead seem to increase damage by about 20%.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an NPC, don't worry about the mechanics and difficulties, just do it Smile

For the Lightning saber power, just create a power that allows you to do it. Make Lightsaber Combat and Force Lightning prerequisite powers, assign appropriate difficulties and damage increases. I have some ideas for how the power would be created, but I like to encourage other GMs to be creative rather than just hand them something to use.

Draft up a power and post it here, then we can critique it and offer suggestions... and I'll offer up one of my ideas for how to implement the power.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

The wording of the pöwer indicates that the force user is looking for a specific person. This I interpreted as such that the user of the power must know who he is looking for, at least having seen him before. By your answer above I assume you do not share this view of the power. This would of course solve my problem, but I dont want to make the power to powerful. In the future the tables might be turned, even if TK is not the goal of the PC.

I just quoted what the power's description lists as the difficulty modifiers. So i can still use it to search for a speicfic person, it will just be harder to do for a total stranger/
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if life sense can target a complete stranger then receptive telepathy shuld be able to do the same I guess. To find out whos the pilot I assume he must go through the crew randomly until he hits the on thinking about flying, then switch to TK. If he goes for TK immediately I guess he would attack one random crew member..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. receptive telepathy is also based on the distance and relationship for it's difficulty. BUT why go through all that hastle, just TK the darn ship itself.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yup. receptive telepathy is also based on the distance and relationship for it's difficulty. BUT why go through all that hastle, just TK the darn ship itself.

Telekinetik Kill seems very much a power vs living beings, I mean what Perception attribute does a ship have?

However, I think I read about some force power doing damage to physical objects. Perhaps its was a D20 power or home made, I cant remember. It could have been called Detonate or something.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, chances are there was a miscommunication... I interpreted your use of "try to kill them with TK to stop the ship" as meaning Telekinesis, seems garhkal did too. Generally a good idea to define your acronyms to make sure things are clear.

I think that Detonate power is d20 in origin.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the matter of your Dark Jedi using Telekinetic Kill:

I think allowing Life Sense or Telepathy to be used to pinpoint the pilot without ever having met them would be likely to come back and bite you later. If at all possible you should probably have the Dark Jedi meet the characters before the incident so that he at least knows who to target and then you just use Telekinetic Kill.

Alternatively, you could have him use Farseeing and let that power tell him who he should target to achieve his aims. Since telekinetic kill isn't relationship modified that would probably not be too difficult.

Finally, you could allow one of many not quite official powers which allow a Jedi to project his senses into the ship. A few minutes looking around inside the ship would allow him to know who to target and again he could use Telekinetic Kill to finish off the pilot.

On the matter of the Force Lightning power increasing the damage from Lightsabers, I actually use rules along those lines but I've grossly altered the Force Rules. In the normal rules, where a character is likely already adding Control to his lightsaber damage, any significant increase in damage beyond that - no matter how circumstantial - is likely to be quite unbalanced. In my opinion. Smile
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Ah, chances are there was a miscommunication... I interpreted your use of "try to kill them with TK to stop the ship" as meaning Telekinesis, seems garhkal did too. Generally a good idea to define your acronyms to make sure things are clear.

I think that Detonate power is d20 in origin.

Which also makes sense of some (for me) weird rules interpretations in other threads about DSPs.... Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
On the matter of your Dark Jedi using Telekinetic Kill:

I think allowing Life Sense or Telepathy to be used to pinpoint the pilot without ever having met them would be likely to come back and bite you later. If at all possible you should probably have the Dark Jedi meet the characters before the incident so that he at least knows who to target and then you just use Telekinetic Kill.

Alternatively, you could have him use Farseeing and let that power tell him who he should target to achieve his aims. Since telekinetic kill isn't relationship modified that would probably not be too difficult.

Finally, you could allow one of many not quite official powers which allow a Jedi to project his senses into the ship. A few minutes looking around inside the ship would allow him to know who to target and again he could use Telekinetic Kill to finish off the pilot.

On the matter of the Force Lightning power increasing the damage from Lightsabers, I actually use rules along those lines but I've grossly altered the Force Rules. In the normal rules, where a character is likely already adding Control to his lightsaber damage, any significant increase in damage beyond that - no matter how circumstantial - is likely to be quite unbalanced. In my opinion. Smile

Telekinesis is out of the question anyway as long as he doesnt target the ship directly (los required).

If a Jedi knows there is a person inside a speeder tank, can he try to target that person with for example TK (TeleKill), or Telepahty even if they havent met?

If so..

If there are several persons, he would target a random person as he has nothing to tell them apart (he hasnt met anyone)

The only difference in my example is that he dont have time to kill each person before they make an emergency jump to Hyperspeed. Therefore he must find out who is the pilot using Telepahty and then kill that person.. There will be 6 persons on the ship and only a few rounds so hell have to be lucky anyway..

Im looking into the Farseer power, but what is the other power youre talking about?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: