The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Movement Question?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Movement Question?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motovoxbox
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Movement Question? Reply with quote

This question regards R&E movement.

If a character in a starship is moving at a given speed in one round, and chooses not to take a move action in the next round, does the vehicle slow down or continue at its current speed (per laws of physics, since we are in space in this instance)? Does a character HAVE to take a move action once moving at some given speed?

Example: A player moves at high speed in round 1. In round 2 he decides to Full Dodge. Since he cannot take any other actions (including a move action) does this mean he slows down or stops (would he technically utterly fail his terrain movement check?), or carries on at high speed whilst Full Dodging?

Thanks! Very Happy
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the RAW states that you can't actually have any movement during a full dodge, so I would say that rather than him coming to a dead halt in space, and then zipping around like crazy, the starship would turn and juke otherwise aimlessly in space, and thus not gaining any ground towards the destination. He's moving at high speed, but just not gaining any ground. For example, one might do a 180, and then moments later do another 180 to throw off your pursuers. Granted, that particular maneuver wouldn't be wise, but I hope you see my general point.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
IIRC the RAW states that you can't actually have any movement during a full dodge, so I would say that rather than him coming to a dead halt in space, and then zipping around like crazy, the starship would turn and juke otherwise aimlessly in space, and thus not gaining any ground towards the destination. He's moving at high speed, but just not gaining any ground. For example, one might do a 180, and then moments later do another 180 to throw off your pursuers. Granted, that particular maneuver wouldn't be wise, but I hope you see my general point.

The big question is wether he has to take a move action if he instead wants to do a sensor sweep. He could argue that the space ship is 'flying by itself' in a straight line at the current speed while the pilots does other things.

Again (from another thread) its one of those 'dont think about it, just accept it' things. Another idea is to shift focus to 'house rules' and just stat that as long as the pilot does not change direction he gets 'free move actions' equal to the last rounds speed. This is how I would do it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the basic idea the book was trying to convey on that point was that the ship NEEDED to have someone pilot it when moving at top speeds, though at a normal cruising speed, I would say that they wouldn't need a piloting check to make sure things were going in the right direction.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

The big question is wether he has to take a move action if he instead wants to do a sensor sweep. He could argue that the space ship is 'flying by itself' in a straight line at the current speed while the pilots does other things.

You always have to do a move action. This simulates having to dodge things like micro meteors etc..
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one exception to movement requiring an action:
2nd Ed R&E Rulebook, pg 101:
"Cautious Movement: This is a slow walk for a character: she moves at half her Move. (A human with a Move of 10 would move five meters.)
In Very Easy, Easy, and Moderate terrains, cautious movement is a "free action": it's not considered an action and the character doesn't have to roll her running skill. In Difficult, Very Difficult and Heroic terrains, roll the character's running skill, but reduce the difficulty one level. (Very Difficult terrain is Difficult to cross; Moderate terrain is Easy to cross.)"

This applies to starships, as well. You can move up to half of your Space speed as a free action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: