The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Would I get a Dark Side Point?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Would I get a Dark Side Point? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Would I get a Dark Side Point? Reply with quote

I want to create a thread so people when they are unsure if an action would get them a darkside point, people on here can tell them if they believe there action would cause a DSP or not

Last edited by Draylo Star on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 If im fighting someone in hand to hand combat and I use my TK to do more damage to the person than just my fists would I get a DSP?
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 What if I kill someone using Lightsabre Combat?
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes

2. If he/she is unarmed, unclothed or pretty.
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the differnce if im using the force to do extra damage why are they not the same?

LSC is giving me bonus damage and im using My TK for bonus damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why is because the purists say so. Smile Really, trying to figure out exactly why using the Force provides a DSP when harming people in any way other than through a lightsaber can be somewhat of a mystery. I've seen a number of justifications, but it's never been 100% clear. The RAW state that even using a CP to do extra damage is generally considered DSP worthy. The general way the game is written is that lightsabers are it. If you want to houserule it, great. But I usually go with LSC only, and why is a metaphysical mystery of the force.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who plays a Jedi should read the 2nd Ed R&E Rulebook, pgs 137-139. There is some wonderful guidance about the Force, The Jedi Code, the Dark Side and the use of power.

Here's an excerpt from page 139:
"Sometimes it is necessary to kill. The Jedi may kill in self-defense or in defense of others, especially the weak and the good. The Jedi may kill, if by her action she preserves the existence of life. However, the Jedi must never forget that killing is inherently wrong. The death is a stain upon the Jedi's spirit.
The Responsible Use of Power. A Jedi acts from wisdom, using persuasion and counsel over violence and Force powers. Force powers are to be used to serve the interests of the light. Using the Force for personal aggrandizement, for personal power or wealth, for convenience when other means would be more prudent — all of these traits are of the dark side."

In my opinion, if you have to ask the question ("Would I get a DSP?") then the answer is almost invariably "yes"
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draylo Star wrote:
#1 If im fighting someone in hand to hand combat and I use my TK to do more damage to the person than just my fists would I get a DSP?

Isnt it stated you always get a DSP from Telekinetic Kill?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draylo Star wrote:
#2 What if I kill someone using Lightsabre Combat?

Well, the use of lightsabers in all but the most direst situations are questionable to begin with. Just look at the Cantina scene, where Luke is threatened by those goons. Is it called for to cut someones arm off when you could just have intimidated them with the lightsaber or chopped their blasters in half?

Lightsaber use is one of those 'dont think about it too much, just accept it' things in Star Wars... 8)
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what if im fighting a dark sider and I dont have my light sabre and the only way I can incapassitate him is to hit him really hard with my fist and using the force to swing my fist harder to save lots of peoples lives

What im saying is that with this one and alot of other things it shouldnt be cut n dry who gets a DSP
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draylo Star wrote:
But what if im fighting a dark sider and I dont have my light sabre and the only way I can incapassitate him is to hit him really hard with my fist and using the force to swing my fist harder to save lots of peoples lives

What im saying is that with this one and alot of other things it shouldnt be cut n dry who gets a DSP

That may be because you're using a very different sort of moral evaluation than did the people who wrote the WEG books. Generally speaking, the Jedi Code as represented in those books is a rather rigid act-based system in determining the morality of a circumstance. You're wanting to evaluate based on a result-based system. You will often come up with different results. If you wish to re-define the moral code of the Jedi for your game, feel free. Just an FYI, though, you may not want to get hopes too high of the old timers to pick it up.
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess

Just watching newer movies reading comics, books and playing the video games has scewed what I think deserves a Darkside point
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draylo Star wrote:
Just watching newer movies reading comics, books and playing the video games has scewed what I think deserves a Darkside point

Yet another player turned from the Dark Side. May the Force be with you! Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draylo Star wrote:
What is the differnce if im using the force to do extra damage why are they not the same?

LSC is giving me bonus damage and im using My TK for bonus damage

Mostly it is the intent. TK is flat out using the force to injure/kill a person. Where as with LS combat, you can opt to LOWER your damage..

Quote:
In my opinion, if you have to ask the question ("Would I get a DSP?") then the answer is almost invariably "yes"

Agreed.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason why TK Injure?kill grants a DSP automatically is mostly becuase a Jedi has to consciously get into wanting to kill that person.

With a lightsaber duel, it is most likely a matter of defense. The Jedi is either protecting himself or ohers from what would happen if he didn't stop the opponent.

However, IF the circumstances warranted it, a GM might not assign a DSP to a character if using such a power could be justified. But such justifications would require that killing the foe was the only viable solution available to the character, AND that the consequences of not using the power were terrible.

For example, Luke "gets away" with using the Force to destroy the Death Star, killing thousands of people, many of who were probably innocent, or misguided rather than evil. But the Death Star was a weapon that was being used to kill millions of people, so Luke course of action was justified.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: