The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyper Space Time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Hyper Space Time? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Hyper Space Time? Reply with quote

I have a ship traveling from Naboo which is in grid coordinants O-17 and I want to travel to The Void Staytion which is in grid coordinant R-14 how do I figure out how long it takes?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power of myth! By which I mean just play it by ear; hyperspace should really operate at the speed of plot.

Alternatively, you can use the closest approximation of the route based on the existing hyperspace tables, and assume that at the least, they use some of that route for the journey; add or subtract some time as necessary.

Personally I've never really had the need to nail down a consistent calculation of travel time in my games; it's important, but far less important than just building a story.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should put little 'miles' numbers besides the hyperways on the map. This would show the travel times given a x1 hyper engine.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I'm not mistaken, they have hyperdrive travel times in the saga books for the various planets. Maybe we should check for that table of info?
Or, you can measure lengths of known routes, and then just calculate by that, half the distance of Coruscant to Tatooine = approximately half the travel time.

For the most part, I usually don't have my players cooped up in ship for more than a few days to a week. It's tiresome going through the RP of day to day life, and it takes something if you just say hyperspace is uneventful, it makes me feel like a DM in D&D having the players set up watch, and stuff like that when they bunk down for a night.

*Rolls on table XYZ*
"And the night passes uneventfully"
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind as well that Point A to Point B distance is only part of the astrogation equation. You can have a shorter straight line distance along one route than another, yet have it take much longer to travel. Hyperspace routes are not linear, and the presence of billions of astronomical bodies along a given route will require many course corrections, increasing the time required. This is why well known routes are often faster than plotting your own course through the aether. Travel should really be at the speed of plot... makes things both easier and more satisfying.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is funny is that I never really paid attention to hyperspace travel times unless it was a matter of some sort of hyperspace race to get to someone before an NPC does. Though I can't recall if I've ever actually utilized that plot element before. For me, it's just a matter of travel time between adventures.
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I posted this on the other thread I started too maybe one of you know the answer (and my bad for doing the two thread thing I need to stop)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1456/gmapnewujca8.jpg

On this map it says

1 pixel=1 galatic coordinate=15 parsecs=48.9 light years

So what is he saying like 1 pixel of color on this map? or what?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Well, if I'm not mistaken, they have hyperdrive travel times in the saga books for the various planets. Maybe we should check for that table of info?
Or, you can measure lengths of known routes, and then just calculate by that, half the distance of Coruscant to Tatooine = approximately half the travel time.

But shouldnt travel time be shorter 'per inch of map' on major hyperway routes (well known, easy to navigate) than lesser routes, or even going outside routes? Sure I can wing it, it would just be nice with indications on travel time to keep concistency more easily.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draylo Star wrote:
Ok I posted this on the other thread I started too maybe one of you know the answer (and my bad for doing the two thread thing I need to stop)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1456/gmapnewujca8.jpg

On this map it says

1 pixel=1 galatic coordinate=15 parsecs=48.9 light years

So what is he saying like 1 pixel of color on this map? or what?

How the heck do you determine the size of a pixel (which also bugged me when some ship deckplans have scale in pixels).

Other than that. Wouldnt it be nice if the above map just had a small number for travel time between for example between Vandelheim and Sullust on the Rimma Trade Route?
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree

So lets figure out what a pixel is and work from there I guess
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take any computer image and load it into MS Paint each dot on the screen is 1 pixel. if you choose the zoom option in MS Paint you can REALLY see the pixels. When you see screen resolutions (640x480, 1024x768) these represent the # of pixels in the x & y coordinates of your screen. (More pixels = better image resolution)

Therefore, on that galaxy map, if you count the number of pixels between the two objects on the bitmap, jpg or gif image and multiply by 15, you'll get the # of parsecs between those two objects.
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
If you take any computer image and load it into MS Paint each dot on the screen is 1 pixel. if you choose the zoom option in MS Paint you can REALLY see the pixels. When you see screen resolutions (640x480, 1024x768) these represent the # of pixels in the x & y coordinates of your screen. (More pixels = better image resolution)

Therefore, on that galaxy map, if you count the number of pixels between the two objects on the bitmap, jpg or gif image and multiply by 15, you'll get the # of parsecs between those two objects.

Holy s*** I thought it was a measurment on the screen that I could figure out thats a little crazy

anyone know how many pixles are in a single sector square
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:

I know what I pixel is, just didnt figure an easy way of determining distance from pixels and scale. Apparently there isnt one. Why are people to lazy to put a scale in the actual maps.. Laughing

Well, loading that galaxy map into MS paint and zoom in to count pixels doesnt seem like something you can bring up quickly during play so Ill have to wing it. I think there was a 'Master Astrogation Chart' project somewhere, but I think it stalled.
Draylo Star
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I kinda want to count how many pixels there are in a square and use the squares as a roundable distance
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draylo Star wrote:
Yeah I kinda want to count how many pixels there are in a square and use the squares as a roundable distance

However, that method assumes that hyperspace travel times is a factor of just distance, which of course is not correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: