The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hiding from the Sith..(now in correct forum)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Hiding from the Sith..(now in correct forum)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Hiding from the Sith..(now in correct forum) Reply with quote

Ok, Vader and some other dark Jedi found and killed most Jedi of prominence during the Jedi purge. They were tracked down in all kinds of way, among other things they were 'found' by Vader using the force to find them. Thats why Yoda hid in Dagobah, where the 'dark side' cave masked his presence.

What specific force power (if any) did Vader used to find them? If Vader, or another dark Jedi, is present on the same planet as a PC Jedi, what power would he use to try to find them(prob. the same).

If searched for, what can the searchee do to remain undetected or at least not pinpointed? Is there some kind of force power to avoid detection? (Apart from not using the force to avoid tremors in the force).

In an earlier campaign, where I was a player, we rolled Control to avoid detection. I cant, however, remember if this was an existing power or something the 'usual' resistance to force powers. If the latter is the case, then finding powerful Jedi with high Control would be nigh impossible, which was not the case apparently.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't anything really worked up in the official rules for this, but it is hinted at. There are powers like "Sense Force Potential" which will tell a user how powerful the target is... "Life Detection" (or is it Sense Life?) will also tell you whether or not a person is Force sensitive and if they have any powers and the like. I think Life Detection is what most closely emulates what we see/read in the source material, where the Sith or Jedi sense someone with powers; they get a general idea of magnitude and a general sense of "somewhere nearby... over there"...

For the most part, though, it was straight up investigation skills and a HUGE network from which to draw information. The Jedi purge was as much about basic sleuthing as it was about Force ability.

As for being hidden, most of the detection powers can be countered with a Control roll if the Force user knows their being sought.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, seems like the correct power (Life Sense).

Are there any rules (Official or otherwise) about sensing the 'tremors' made by Jedis using the force (which is specifically mentioned as how Vader and his goons found Jedis during the purge in the rulebook)?

What Im really after is how PC Jedis are to remain hidden if in proximity to another Jedi (prob. a dark one in this case). Life sense with control as an increased difficulty is by the book. But what happens in said Jedi uses force powers on his own, does the searching Jedi get some kind of bonus because of the tremors?

I assume there are no rules here, how would you work this out?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not covered in the RAW. Largely, the idea of tremors in the Force is a plot device, completely in the hands of the GM. Usually it's useful to get players moving in a direction they want the plot to flow, either through being detected, or detecting something that's "off"... steering them towards a destination. None of the powers really cover this idea at all.

When a Jedi is resisting being detected in the Force and uses another power, I would say their effort to remain hidden is probably removed, or severely diminished. Basically, if they don't want to be discovered in the Force, they'd best just batten down the hatches and keep out of sight.

There is a thread discussing a house power to hide a Jedi in the Force somewhere in the House Rules section; I believe Vong is the author.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, here it is..

Seems like a very useful power..

Control/Sense/Alter
Life Mask: Control Difficulty: Difficult if Jedi is relaxed and at peace, Very Difficult if Jedi is exerting himself, Heroic if Jedi is under duress.
Sense Difficulty: Easy if Jedi is relaxed and at peace, Moderate if Jedi is exerting himself, Very Difficult if Jedi is under duress.
Alter Difficulty: Very Difficult if at Peace, Heroic if the Jedi is exerting himself, or Heroic+ if under duress
This Power may be kept up.
Required Powers: Hibernation Trance, Emptiness, Sense Force
Effect:
The Jedi using this power attempts to mask his presence in the force. To bring this power up, a Jedi must roll a successful Sense and Control roll. When the Jedi uses the force while this power is up he must make a successful alter roll to keep the power up.
A Jedi who has successfully brought the power up, does not make any ripples in the force. Another Jedi passively searching the area for life forms will not register the user of this power as alive, but he would exists in the force like a droid would. Another Jedi actively sensing the user of this power must make a sense roll opposed to the users control roll to know that he is in fact alive, and not an inanimate object. A Jedi using this power is similar to a Jedi in an emptiness trance, but he may take actions he wishes.
A Jedi may use other Force Powers while using Hide Force, but must make another Control roll to maintain the effects of Hide Force when doing so. Any Force user who would normally sense the Jedi's use of the Force may make a Sense roll versus the Jedi's Control roll to detect the Jedi's use of the Force.
Examples:
A Jedi using Life Detection to find a character with Hide Force active will not detect the character. A Jedi using Life Sense or Sense Force (if the user is using the force actively) can make an opposed sense check against the user's Control check.
If the user of this power uses Lightsaber Combat, they must make a Very Difficult control roll to keep the power up; if the user fails this roll Hide Force immediately drops and other force users will sense their presence in the force. If the check succeeds, other Force users may make their opposed Sense roll as described above.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a homebrew power developed by a cyborg so he can appear to be just a droid.

At least that's my understanding of it. It seems to be quite well suited to being developed in game by someone doing a lot of hiding.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Ok, seems like the correct power (Life Sense).

Are there any rules (Official or otherwise) about sensing the 'tremors' made by Jedis using the force (which is specifically mentioned as how Vader and his goons found Jedis during the purge in the rulebook)?

These are the rules the Sparks group uses to simulate the 'tremors...
This is for an "ACTIVE hunt time frame)

To start with you have to become KNOWN to the hunters. At any time a player rolls over 45 with a force power OR force enhanced skill (eg using concentration, BUT NOT just cause they are on a force point) they become known to the force hunters. They receive a vision of Vader (or palpaltine) sitting on a dias (throne) lookin like they are in thought then they look up, eyes penetrating to the pc's soul and say "ah, there is another for conversion" (or something like that).

From then on, every time you roll above a 40 in a module, you get a force vision, showing a robed imperial looking at his comrades, barking orders, telling them that their prey is near. If you roll over 30 a SECOND time in that module (game session), you trigger a force encounter. They stagger upwards.
Encounter 1 is with a full 10 man squad of storm troopers TRAINED to combat jedi (use stun, tactics, combined fire and all the other tricks in the book).

Once the character has experienced force encounter 1, the next time they get a vision it is the SAME as #1, but if they trigger an encounter it goes to #2. The target number is now 30

#2 has 2 of the above full 10 man squads, two 2 man teams manning medium repeaters and one 3 man team manning a heavy eweb repeater, along with a dark force adept along with an apprentice to him who is a royal guard.

Once you have had force encounter 2, your next vision you trigger, goes to where the emperor is on a throne looking at 2 black clad ninja wanna bes, who he tells to go appreihend you.
These 2 guys are shadow guards and are bad @$$... they attack when THAT pc is on his own, practically ensures you are captured. The target number for this is now down to 20.

If by some miracle, you surivive #3, the next vision you trigger is basically the big bad mamma.. Basically your PC has a choice. When Vader shows up, do you turn or do you die......

If the character can go a year without triggering a vision, your diff increases by 10 to trigger a vision, up to 50. If you can go 2 more years after that, the force hunters consider you had died somewhere.

During a passive hunt (after the area has been actively hunted through), you need to hit a 100 to trigger a vision, but if you DO so, there is only the 1 encounter... VADER!

With my house rules on this, i have it staggered somewhat.
Every time you roll over a 30, all those in that star system who are force using, feel your presence.
45 is the sector
75 is the galaxy.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like those rules, it makes it worth trying to achieve things without the force.

However I'd assume regular tracking methods would also be used and constantly flashing a lightsaber about in public would still lead to potential encounters even if the rolls were always mediocre.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Yes it's a homebrew power developed by a cyborg so he can appear to be just a droid.

At least that's my understanding of it. It seems to be quite well suited to being developed in game by someone doing a lot of hiding.

Where does Cyborgs come into play? Its a power to hide (in the Force) from other Jedi period afaik. As he will not be registered to be alive, he will seem like a droid in the force.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, only a cyborg's replacements will seem like a droid in the Force. For all intents and purposes, within the Force, cyborgs are organic.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power was developed by a cyborg (who happened to ba a human brain in a droid body). I didn't mean to say it was only for cyborgs though it is best if you can pass for a droid as you wouldn't want someone wondering why that guy over there didn't register as a living being in the force.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I quite like those rules, it makes it worth trying to achieve things without the force.

However I'd assume regular tracking methods would also be used and constantly flashing a lightsaber about in public would still lead to potential encounters even if the rolls were always mediocre.

Tht depends as well. In one long campaign (when i was in norfolk) i had a somewhat crazy PC who was well known amongst the imps for holking lightsabers to whom had the cash... Even vader had no issue (well as the gm portrayed him) since i was NFS, but he did have me hand over where i was getting them from...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: