The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Transfer force??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Transfer force??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Transfer force?? Reply with quote

In the force skill description for Transfer force it says 'TIME TO USE; one minute. BUT since that is 12 combat round won't someone you are trying to save be dead by the time you have transfered force to him? OP is it that when you START using it, his 'death ticker' is halted..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rule it as the death ticker stops ticking once the mystical intervention starts. Whether it was successful or not depends on whether or not the ticker keeps on counting afterward.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what if it was not successful? OR do most rule using the power is automatically good to go.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the power is normally used on on stabilized mortally wounded people, because it would often be easier to make the first aid roll (no medpac even needed), than to activate the Force power.

The Force-user doesn't make the die rolls until the end of the minute. If succesful, then the Force Point is spent. If the Transfer Force attempt was unsucessful, the Force Point is not spent (so not wasted). If the wounded person was stabilized before the failed attempt was made, then another minute could be spent to make another attempt, and so on.

One attempt could be made for an unstabilized mortally wounded person. The death clock stops ticking when the minute begins, but if the attempt was not successful, then the unstabilized person will die immediately after the minute because 12 rounds is the longest anyone could live without intervention anyway.

If the transfer failed, I don't think that the clock should keep ticking where it left off before the power was attempted, because that would mean a failed attempt at a Force power just gave someone more time than the mortally wounded rules allow. Without the Transfer Force or medical intervention, most unstabilized mortally wounded characters wouldn't even make it the full minute (statistically speaking), so they are already getting a little something just from the one attempt as it is.

That's how I interpret it anyway.

The part I find oddest about the rule is that the "recipent of this power must be willing." Mortally wounded characters are usually unconscious so they couldn't make a choice to accept the power or resist. So I interpret that to mean they must be willing... to live. So in other words, a suicide attempt that resulted in a self-inflicted mortally wounded status could not be saved through Transfer Force.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the reading of this power, is it is used to save someone who is not stabilized.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But the reading of this power, is it is used to save someone who is not stabilized.

It doesn't say it is only for unstabilized victims, which is why I posted the power can be used either way.

R&E p. 97, right column:
Quote:
A character making a Moderate first aid total can "stabilize" a mortally wounded character. The character is still mortally wounded but will survive if a medpac or bacta tank is used on him within one hour (Moderate first aid total); otherwise, he dies. (This is different from healing a character with a medpac; see "Healing.")

R&E p.149, Transfer Force power:
Quote:
This power will save a mortally wounded character from dying... The target character remains mortally wounded but will not die unless injured again. The injured character is in hibernation and will stay alive in this state for up to six weeks.

A stabilized mortally wounded person has only an hour to live without medical intervention. So the death clock is still ticking, but it is not a matter of rounds like when first mortally wounded (unstabilized). The power makes no specification that it will only save mortally wounded characters who are not stabilized. Stabilized characters are still considered mortally wounded as they only have an hour to live. Transfer Force can save them too. The Force powers gives 6 weeks if not injured again, but stabilization alone only gives on hour, so I don't see why this power couldn't be used for stabilized mortally wounded characters too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification there Whill..
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the few West End powers I ended up throwing out just because (if its a common power) then everything Anakin does in Episode III makes no sense (not that it makes a lot of sense anyway). If he had this power he already would be able to stop people from dying!

I can't see the Jedi Order keeping this power secret (unless its Dark Side related) and Anakin would have had 3 years to learn it between the death of his mom and Episode III. And (given there's a war on) almost any Jedi would be willing to share the power with him.

So I just decided that Transfer Force must be either non-canon or incredibly rare.

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about Episode III. Of course the WEG power as-is is not G-canon.

If you want to retcon, it could have been a rare power not known to the prequel Jedi Order (that was all but destroyed in Episode III). Then the power was later introduced from another pathway to the Force into the Jedi "wanna-be" canon of powers of the classic-trilogy-era (the basis of the WEG game), thus explaining why WEG Star Wars characters have it when Anakin did not! 8)

Not that Palpatine never lied to Anakin/Vader (he most certainly did about some things), but maybe Palpatine was telling the truth when he said you couldn't learn that power from a Jedi. I choose to believe Palpatine really had a similar power and used it to save Anakin when he was all limbless and melty on Mustafar.

Of course, if it really is a Sith/Dark Side power, then it should change. WEG says it is always heroic, but maybe we could take the view of it being "unatural" as Palpatine described Dark Side abilities to Anakin. To save someone from dying could be an abomination to the Force. It should still cost a Force Point to use, but maybe it also grants a Dark Side point. Maybe a Dark Side point goes to the recipient too (so the recipient would still have to be willing to accept the benefit of the power), so recieving the power and living beyond your mortal wound leaves you tainted. Maybe even some other living thing nearby must die for the power to work, like it is not only transfering the Force of the power's user but also the life-force of something else (thus the Dark Side Points).

I'm just throwing out stuff, not really trying to work it all out now. Thanks JT for your good movie point (for those of us that actually care for the prequels at all - if not then please disregard my meanderings).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps the old order KNEW of it, but felt that extending peoples lives like that was breaking with the natural order so did not let knowledge of it exist... and after they were taken out, that info slowly made it out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: