The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Resurrection! (wot?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Resurrection! (wot?) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Resurrection! (wot?) Reply with quote

Ok, here it goes..

My players are avid RPG:rs and know the movies and background portraied therein pretty good. However, no one has any knowledge of the 'expanded' universe beyond info from our old SW campaign (ie some gaming books from the 90-s and only the 'player' material).

Im thinking of bringing in some 'competition' to Vader and Palpie, namely some colourful Sith from the 'sith book' (name? One in hardback with yellowish cover). Im a bit free when it comes to who i resurrect as no one has any knowledge of these menaces. Basically Ill go for someone characterful.
(Gah, all my SW material exept Tramp Freighters and Mission to Lianna is GONE!) Evil or Very Mad

Has there been any 'resurrections' of old siths, or at least their spirit possesses someone a long time after their dead? Is this 'stretching it' when it comes to SW 'logic'?

The idea is to have someone REALLY powerful possess someone (perhaps a failed jedi who found an evil artifact or something). Even though this Sith was very powerful (at least Vader level) when alive, his powers are now diminished until he can find Gismo X and perform Ritual Y (you get the idea). Heres where the PCs come in. Also, 'our' badguys (Vader, Palpie) are too much involved with finding the last few (non darkside) jedi to notice the new threat...

Whats you opinion?
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off hand, two Sith come to mind if you are talking about canon resurections.

The first being the classic Exar Kun coming back. More info on that here.

The only other example that I can think of is Mraka Ragnos from the Jedi Academy game.

While Kun was little more than a force ghost from what I remember I think that Ragnos actually possessed a character's body to fight you as the final boss in the game.

The only yellowish cover book with Sith in it that I can think of is the Knights of the Old Republic sourcebook...I seem to remember it having Stats from a lot of the villains from the comics.

I sometimes make pictures. [REQUESTS CLOSED]
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by Knights of the Old Republic I mean Tales of the Jedi.

I sometimes make pictures. [REQUESTS CLOSED]
Kira Firestorm
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ressurction is possible if you can find DNA of said person, then just hop over to your friendly Kamino clone facility for a keep regrown Jedi.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of Freedon Nadd personally. Up until Exar Kun you could definately res him if you're staying true to the history of the universe. Smile It'd be easy to say he ended up back there if he dies.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
...Whats you opinion?

ZzaphodD wrote:
Has there been any 'resurrections' of old siths, or at least their spirit possesses someone a long time after their dead? Is this 'stretching it' when it comes to SW 'logic'?

IMO, yes. And for those few rare people out there that care what Lucas thinks, he said that Sith cannot become Force Ghosts because the power to do that is based on love, something that Sith can't feel. There was dialogue between Qui-Gon's ghost and Yoda in Revenge of the Sith that got cut from the movie where he says that to Yoda.

Kira Firestorm wrote:
Hmm ressurction is possible if you can find DNA of said person, then just hop over to your friendly Kamino clone facility for a keep regrown Jedi.

Again, for those that happen to be interested in what Lucas says, cloning in Star Wars requires DNA from a live host. That's why all the clones in the prequels were identical bad@sses because they were all clones of Jango Fett. After Fett got killed in Attack of the Clones, new hosts were needed to grow new clones. Of course even with X2 growth aceleration, none of those new clones were adults yet by Revenge of the Sith so all of those clones seen were still clones of Jango. But by the time of the Classic Trilogy, there aren't a whole lot of Jango clones left in service of the Empire. To explain why the stormtroopers are of various heights and lower caliber, Lucas said that after Jango, that the quality of hosts were inconsistent. They were largely political, meaning the honor of being a clone host was part of Palpatine's subtle management of the political aspirations of those under him to keep them pitted against each other and to avoid any one person gaining too much power.

So yes, in G-canon, all the stormtroopers are still clones in the classic trilogy too, but they are not all clones of the same person. There are many hosts so many different versions of stormtroopers. That is the explaination Lucas chose as to why they are are different heights and many of them can't hit the heroes. Very Happy

Of course, all of my responses about Lucas' view of his own universe are just FYI for those that care. Please don't bother flaming me. If you choose to like the EU that contradicts the Lucas (in ressurected Sith or enlisted stormtroopers), that is ok. To each his own. I whole-heaartedly support all GMs having their own Star Wars universe be exactly what they want it to be.

To bring this back to the OP, my suggestion is to not ressurect any EU Sith and instead just create new ones. They could be be inspired by EU Sith and it sounds like you're players wouldn't know the difference. Lucas said that it's really a Star Wars Multiverse. His universe, the EU, and each and every fan's universe. Each fan is free to add or subtract anything he wants to his own universe, so don't feel bound to movies or the EU as published.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira Firestorm wrote:

I did this in a game where the players knew there was some sort of Imperial garrison set up by an Inquisitor trying to find 'some arcane knowledge' which turned out to be clone cylinders cloning a jackal-faced sith back to life.

The two jedi got into the facility just in time for it to become active and try to kill them.

Keith
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira Firestorm wrote:

I would say there is an absolute limit on how long someone can be dead and get cloned.... 100 years imo is more than lienient.
Also force power iirc does NOT cross via cloning..
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

That's my understanding too but I don't remember if that was from Ep. III or something in the EU or a WEG book...
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first clones* we ever meet in Star Wars is Joruus C'Baoth, the cloned Jedi Master in "Heir to the Empire."

I haven't read all of the old Marvel Comics so I can't say Joruus is the first clone we're ever introduced to as a clone, but he's the first I know of. Yes, the Clone Wars are mentioned by C-3PO in A New Hope, and yes, we know now that Stormtroopers may all be clones but we didn't know that at the time. We don't know that definitively now.

The first published/produced work, that I know of, to definitely feature a clone was Heir to the Empire. And that clone, was a clone of a Jedi who himself had Jedi powers.

To the best of my knowledge this is not contradicted by any of the movies.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Kira Firestorm wrote:

I would say there is an absolute limit on how long someone can be dead and get cloned.... 100 years imo is more than lienient.

Honestly I guess it really depends on the person. When Zahn did it in his trilogy I think he even made a comment about how it was a rare thing for it to work for Ch'baoth (even unheard of...) and then turned around and cloned Luke from his severed hand. Since then in the EU its been done many time over. If you feel so inclined to check it out, Wookiepedia has a write about cloning and goes into the many times it was done with Jedi...it all comes down to gamemaster preference though and if your preference is that it can't happen well then I can't argue with that.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we do not know the specifics how how he was cloned... Did the emperor capture him and use a version of transfer life? Did he use some sith ritual??
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But we do not know the specifics how how he was cloned... Did the emperor capture him and use a version of transfer life? Did he use some sith ritual??

This is true...and we'll probably never know how that went down to be real honest with you...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which sucks!
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrawn was considering cloning his own Jedi. I think he and Pelleon talked about it in Last Command. Cloning a Jedi and either letting them age naturally or take them to the age of ten and then let them age naturally.

I wondered how he'd train them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: