The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What's your Star Wars Universe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What's your Star Wars Universe? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite world o star wars was set roughly 400 years BNH. the republic was in decline and the characters were smugglers and bounty hunters. interestingly enough, i never had a force using pc.

I chose that time period because nothing at the time was written about it. the pcs smuggled goods around the republic. the main starfighters were z-90's and a tiny fighter with forward swept wings called an IE-44. i described a lot of different freighters, but recycled the stats for the yt-1300, ghtroc 720, and the scout ship.

i made up a lot of equipment and put it all on 4x6 cards, then put them in a photo album.

i also had detailed rules for modifying ships and building them. i remember some of them, but would have to reconstruct the rest...

i also did the " imperial frontier corps" which was kinda like star trek in star wars, if that is possible...
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in an unspecified time right before the Battle of Yavin.

The Death Star is under construction (the players will 'discover' it later in an adventure).
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3.

The original trilogy.

Take that and extend "Mos Eisley" to the rest of the galaxy. It's a dirty, grimy place full of scoundrels, gamblers, dirtbags, and troublemakers all trying to eke out a living under the oppression of the EVIL GALACTIC EMPIRE.

Galactic Noir.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently GMing a campaign set in LotF times. My characters are freelance who are working for everyone who pays. Recently they did a job for the Galactic Alliance Guard looking for so-called Corellian terrorist on Coruscant Wink .

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Kyram Vhett
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- Han shoots first, need i say more!
2- Prequals never existed apart from a few spinof things like republic comic series and the clone commando books. i like the clone wars cartoon but as far as continuity goes doesnt exist.
3- Big fan of the eu, there is some realy bad stuff like the black fleet crissis books but i think theres more good than bad material out there.
4- Ewoks rock (dont judge me! LoL!)

On star wars in general i think there has been a steady dicline in the quality of merchandise and material realeased since the late 90's, with the exception of the comics and novals which i think have just got better and better over the years. I just seems that there isnt much thought past how much money can this make me going into the products, one of the most disapointing things is the star wars insider which used to be a realy good mag with some realy great content like scouting the galaxy which was unfortunatly droped.

Sorry for making my first post a bit of a rant but i kinda went off on one.

Regards Rich

P.s. its good to find a site based around the old d6 system with a pleasnt comunity.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyram Vhett wrote:
Han shoots first, need i say more!

I thought that this is so so so so obvious Very Happy

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Kyram Vhett
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL! true but still something that needs to be stated at every posable moment.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewoks (Muppets in general) rock!!!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: "Only Han shoots" to "Greedo was drunk." Reply with quote

Kyram Vhett wrote:
Han shoots first

FYI, that name for the movement of those rejecting Lucas' changes to the original trilogy doesn't make any sense. Han did not ever shoot "first" in any version. For Han to have shot "first" that would mean that there would have to have been a second shot. In the original version, Greedo did not fire at all.

It would make more sense to say "Only Han shoots". Then in the Special Edition, "Greedo shoots first". Then in the DVD, "Han and Greedo shoot simultaneously".

Overall, I approve and appreciate Lucas' changes (especially the improved effects in some of the Battle of Yavin shots). I admit that Lucas' changes to the Solo-Greedo scene are not needed IMO. I understand Lucas's motive, but it is still unnecessary to change it. On the other hand, I am not really opposed to it either. Since Greedo was shown at the bar with a drink before confronting Han (in all versions), I view it as a statement of how alchohol can give false courage. Greedo was a two-bit bounty hunter wanna-be was drunk off his a@@ to face Han. That's really the only explanation of how Greedo wouldn't notice Han doing something under the table, and Greedo missing Han at point-blank range. Greedo was seeing double and shot at the wrong Han.

I call this movement "Greedo was drunk." 8)

In fact, I feel that the scene could use one more revision. It should show Greedo finishing the drink, and getting up to walk over ot Han all stumbling and swaying. Greedo gets sloshed, tries to intimidate Han and be a big shot, misses Han and gets blown away.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my big beef with the Han/Greedo scene. As it was originally presented, Han kills Greedo in cold blood (not self-defense). It helps establish that Han is a hard-boiled guy willing to kill over a few credits.

We're meant to see Han this way, so we can later see him "soften" after his encounter with the Rebellion, and of course, most especially: Leia.

Any changes to the circumstances change Han's presentation. If Han fires in self-defense, he's no longer a tough character. If Greedo is drunk or shown to be incompetent, Han is no longer a badass.

Han needs to be protrayed as a tough cookie in one of his first on-screen scenes. Just as Luke needs to be portrayel as a lonely, idealistic farmboy. Just as Obi-Wan needs to be portrayed as a mysterious, wise man.
JT Swift
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m pretty open-minded. So All the EU (I know about) up to “Unifying Force” (and nothing set after that point) is in my games ‘canon.’

With two major tweaks…
1. Han shot first (see Star Wars Revisited! It’s ‘true’!)
2. The New Republic still exists at the end of “Unifying Force” and was not replaced by the GFFA.

For Everything about the TARDIS check out
http://www.whoniverse.net/tardis/

For all things Gallifreyan check out
http://meshyfish.com/~roo/index.html
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Here's my big beef with the Han/Greedo scene. As it was originally presented, Han kills Greedo in cold blood (not self-defense). It helps establish that Han is a hard-boiled guy willing to kill over a few credits.

We're meant to see Han this way, so we can later see him "soften" after his encounter with the Rebellion, and of course, most especially: Leia.

Any changes to the circumstances change Han's presentation. If Han fires in self-defense, he's no longer a tough character. If Greedo is drunk or shown to be incompetent, Han is no longer a badass.

Han needs to be protrayed as a tough cookie in one of his first on-screen scenes. Just as Luke needs to be portrayel as a lonely, idealistic farmboy. Just as Obi-Wan needs to be portrayed as a mysterious, wise man.

Then you have to admit that them shooting at the same time is ever so slightly more effective than Greedo shooting first. Very Happy Just kiding, you don't have to admit that!

But if Greedo is going to shoot at all, I like it better than they shot at the same time instead of Han only firing after being shot at. In all three versions, Han was obviously going to shoot him no matter what because he drew his weapon.

But I think you have a good point, Rerun. Han killing Greedo in cold blood creates a little more drama in the end because it adds another level of tension and doubt that Han will come back and help the Rebels. It moreso demonstrates that Han made a moral choice for a good cause over being a cold-blooded mercenary. This is the reason I was always ok with the original version the way it was.

But maybe my acceptance of the changes is the result of seeing the movie so many times and knowing that Han comes back. Greedo shooting doesn't kill the most climactic ending of any movie in history:

Gold Leader's Death Star trench run fails. Luke gets a little cooked but he's ok. Red Leader's run fails. The Death Star gets closer to firing range. Luke leads the third run. Wedge has to bail out. Luke best friend from back home gets blown away. Luke loses R2's assistance. He's totally alone. Then that voice again. Luke chooses to head the advice and not depend on technology, having a sudden an inexplicable urge to turn off his targeting computer. The Rebels think Luke's crazy, but he is their final hope, hanging on a thread now. But that's not quite enough. The Empire will destroy the Rebellion. The Dark Side will reign supreme. Vader has Luke in his sights now...

What? Vader's wingman blows up! His other wingman reacts and hits Vader, killing himself and sending Vader out of the trench. Whoo-hoo! Han has chosen to return to help his new friend defeat the Empire at exactly the right moment! There is more to him then money! Luke's all clear! Luke let's the torpedo's go, and let's loose a breath he didn't realize he had been holding. They fly away as the torpedos find their mark, and destroy the Death Star. The Rebellion is saved!

Now that's my Star Wars Universe!

No, as unecessary as it is, Greedo getting a shot off and me knowing Han comes back still doesn't effect the drama of the ending for me. I can see how it may for new viewers (those 3 people under a rock that haven't seen the movie yet). But not me. Nothing can touch that ending in any movie. Since my original theatrical viewing in 1977, I've seen A New Hope well over 100 times now, and I still get goosebumps just thinking about the climax.

But I think Greedo firing was along the same lines as to why Lucas cut Vader killing Palpatine's guards in the oiriginal and every subsequent version of RotJ. Han in ANH and Vader in RotJ both choose good later in the respective movie, so Lucas thought it would be morally confusing for children for the characters that reveal themselves to be good guys at the end to be seen doing to bad stuff earlier on (Good thing Episode III is PG-13!).

Maybe not a lot of people know about Vader and the guards in RotJ because it never made it into the original version. You ever notice how wousified Vader is in RotJ? If not for the rest of the Saga where Vader does a lot more evil, Vader's redmption at the end of the Saga would not be as dramatic just from RotJ on it's own. Vader is an absolute monster that killed children, but not in RotJ where he couldn't even be shown to kill a couple of Imperial guards. Episode III worked to make RotJ a lot more dramatic and enjoyable for me, but that's another thread I suppose. Cool
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I've had a number of them, like I mentioned earlier, but here are a few:

1st) Not long after Endor, a successor to the Emperor comes to power & begins a major PR campaign to defang many of the gripes that led sentients to favor the Rebellion. There is a ceasefire for a time. However, such is too good to last & dissidents reignite conflict.
The "new rebellion", lacking the strengths they had previous, will eventually lose the conflict--there is even a schism among them. But through a number of unplanned events, there rises a new opposition: 5 major groups band together to oppose the Empire. 2 new groups align with the Empire. Before long, it's full-scale conventional warfare between the 2 factions.
(this was my first setting--lasted for over 12 years of gaming Smile )

2nd) Cannon from OT onward, but no Vong. Alternate Clone Wars--it's the enemies of the Republic using clones (not droids--keeping with the track record in the books about automated units not being better than manned).

3rd) Keeping with the PT & OT. The Clone Wars novels by Dark Horse Comics, & Clone Wars cartoons that appeared on Cartoon Network (& showed Anakin's duel with Ventress). After the conflict, there is an unexplained technological regression--an alternate usage of Drain Life Essence by the Emperor--which allows the Empire to sieze control of most of the Galaxy (& accounting for why Clone War gear seems so much more advanced than anything that comes later).

...there's plenty more, but these are the main ones.
belshazzar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of space for everybody in the Galaxy. I loved the Thrawn trilogy, but when I set the events in that time-frame players see what's happening from afar. They are still pirates/minor agents of the newly formed New Republic (I.e, plenty of adventure and no worry about politics). Sure we could play instead intricate political plots... it's legitimate (there must be politics and intrigues in SW galaxy as well) but that campaign would lose most of the SW feel (but you know, you want to do something different after a while). A good example of this is the (VERY GOOD) Darkstryder Campaign. It gets much similar to Star Trek (blasphemy!)... but it's still LOTS OF FUN! Oh... one important change in my campaign is that f*** DO NOT EXIST!!! The whole idea is just BAD BAD BAD (and useless.... they just didn't use it in later movies). They also tell me that the novelization of PHANTOM MENACE is not so terrible, so there's possibly plenty of fun in that time-frame without much modifications (as long as you kill JARJAR!)
Jame Rowe
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
2nd) Cannon from OT onward, but no Vong. Alternate Clone Wars--it's the enemies of the Republic using clones (not droids--keeping with the track record in the books about automated units not being better than manned).

This is one of my two main changes; however, the Republic, which starts out with a small droid-using Navy, rapidly expands its military using first more droids and then more clones.

My other change is that the Clone Wars happen ten years earlier, with Anakin being about twenty when they start (Padme is about 24). After all, I'd always thought of him as being about 50...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 5 of 19

Jump to: