The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Life Sense... how does this power work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Life Sense... how does this power work?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Life Sense... how does this power work? Reply with quote

Hello

There is a Force Power called "Life Sense" in my oppinion it is very poorly described and I would like to hear from you how you interpret this power.

When they say that you can SENSE a persons Presence, what do they mean? Is it a power that can be used to locate a certain individual or what the #¤%"% do they mean?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life Sense and Life Detection are two very important powers that I fear were not handled all that well by WEG. First of all, their names are a bit confusing and misleading. Basically Life Sense is used to actively search for an individual you wish to find, and it might give you some extra knowledge on that individual's conditions. Life Detection is more like a passive "force radar", warning the Jedi of approaching life forms and possibly giving some insight into them

By the way, here's my personal, tweaked version of Life Detection:

Life Detection
Sense Difficulty: Varies based on detection radius:
Range Difficulty
5m Very Easy
10m Easy
20m Moderate
50m Difficult
100m Very Difficult
200m Heroic
+5 for each additional 100 meters.
This power may be kept up.
Effect: This power allows the Jedi to detect the location of living beings that might otherwise remain hidden from their normal senses. When the power is activated, the Jedi knows the location of all life forms around him in the power’s effective radius – if the power is kept up, the Jedi may know whenever a living being enters his detection radius.
The Jedi can choose to focus the power in a single arc (front, back, left, right, above or below), in which case all ranges are doubled (Very Easy – 10m, Moderate – 40m, etc.).
Force users who don’t want to be detected by the power user can add their control to the detection difficulty.
If Jedi beats the difficulty by 5 or more points, he is aware if a target is sentient or not and has a rough idea of its size. If Jedi beats the difficulty by 10 or more points, he has a clear notion of the target’s shape and size and can identify species he’s familiar with; the Jedi is also aware if a target has Force skills (yes or no), is Force-sensitive (yes or no), or if they have met before (yes or no), and if yes, what their identity is. However, if there are many living beings in the Jedi’s detection radius, it takes time to sift through them all in search of specific characteristics, just like surveying a crowd by sight.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the power's write up.

Code:
Life Sense
Sense Difficulty       VE (5) – modified by proximity and relationship
Required Powers – Life Detection
Power may be kept ‘up’ to track a target
Effect – The Force-user can sense the presence and identity of a specific person for whom he searches.  Also they can detect how badly wounded, diseased or otherwise physically disturbed the target is.  The target may hide his identity from the Force-user using Life Sense by rolling his Control skill and adding it to the difficulty.
Located – 2nd Edition Revised Rulebook p.146

What it does is allow you to search for a specific person, say you are making a prison break, but all the prisoners are wearing metallic helmets welded onto their heads and have those BDS&M like balls in their mouths to prevent talking. Using this power would let you pick your comrade out from all the others.
OR as i have seen it used twice, when they were after a baddie known to hunt people for cash (assassin) they had gotten their butts handed to them twice from him. SO the third time they went, the jedi wanted this up so he would be able to know where he was.
You can also use it as described to tell what the status of a person is, are they just sleeping, knocked out via stun, knocked out via normal damage, dead or mortally wounded...
In that regard it is a GREAT power for bodyguards.
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... ok

But let's say a Jedi is searching for a person.

Can The Jedi activate this power and sense that the wanted person is in a town 400 miles away (if the Jedi managed to roll high enough ofcourse)?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he can. Provided he makes the high difficulty roll.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though he must know or hav info on said person... well more than just a poster to me at least.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even though the Relationship modifier would allow for the search of a complete stranger, I'd rule that you would have to have been in the presence of your target at least once before. You would have to have some idea of his "Force signature" or something.
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it will be very likely that the Jedi in our story will be able to locate a complete stranger og another race on the other side of a planet.

There are many modifiers that will raise the difficulty to extreme heights.

In my game I have imposed a limit on the level a Jedis Force Powers can reach, that is different for each Jedi, in order to symbolize their different degree of connection to The Force.

Sort of a way to descripe the difference between a Jedi like Kenobi or Mace compared to the average RPG Character Jedi.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you limit one's force skill levels? Is this for PCs or just NPCs?
Kilgore
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both.

But I had a talk with the players who choose to play Jedi and none of them have a problem with this limitation, as long as the limitation is not 2D or something in that neighourhood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: