The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How do PC's get into the Jedi Academy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How do PC's get into the Jedi Academy? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: How do PC's get into the Jedi Academy? Reply with quote

So after the fall of the Empire Luke sets up a Jedi academy. What do you suppose the entrance exam is like? What are the requirements? What are the classes like? I would like to hear your opinions, both cannon (The one on Yavin) and fannon.
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.

Last edited by Jedi AlanRocks on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that I've found really frustrating about the Jedi Academy Sourcebook and the WotC Jedi Academy Training manual is that they both lack sufficient fluff to let you know anything about entrance into and life in teh Academy. There are things that are aluded to in I Jedi, and the (dare I even mention them) Jedi Academy books by J.K. Anderson.

It looks like all you're left with is fannon and a few vague references in books.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell from what I've read, all it takes is being force sensitive, and have the desire to learn the ways of the force to gain access.

Although, after running several NJO games. What I've decided is that Luke stretches out with the force to find possible candidates. Meets with them, talks, then decides whether or not they're what he's looking for in his new jedi order.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is Luke alone in running around the galaxy just looking for people who are Force Sensitive? I mean, if we turn this ahead a few years, I would think that there would be recruiters or something trying to recruit. I haven't read novels past what happens after I Jedi, so I have no idea, really.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I only know what takes place in the Jedi Academy video game. I do think that it is likely, after the first few years that recruiters are specially trained to find suitable candidates.
Rasta
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all fannon, so take it for what it is. I don't follow a lot of the EU, but do borrow from it. I'm currently running a Jedi Academy adventure. We started 6 months after the battle of Endor.

In my game, Luke sent a braodcast throughout the New Republic calling for all force sensitives to volunteer to be in a special squad (a poorly funded psudo-Jedi team) run by him (as the official Academy has yet to be sanctioned by the New Republic).

Volunteers would send in a blood sample for analysis then after an initial screening would go in for a final interview with Luke. He enquired about their back ground, their aspirations, then decided if they could join.

They are based on Yavin 4, which right now is a joint base for many different New Republic military personel. There are really cool maps online, with a lot of detail.

I would imagine that after the Jedi Academy gets established, which in my game is dependant on taking back Coruscant and establishing the New Republic Senate, he would send out other messages to a broader audience as he now has more resources at his disposal.

I don't really picture him looking for people, though I suppose he could.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
But is Luke alone in running around the galaxy just looking for people who are Force Sensitive? I mean, if we turn this ahead a few years, I would think that there would be recruiters or something trying to recruit. I haven't read novels past what happens after I Jedi, so I have no idea, really.

I read the Jedi Academy books but fortunately forget much of them, particularly how Luke was supposed to have known. I think he basically followed rumors, stories, etc.

I like that part a lot better than (for instance) Qui-Gon's home pregnancy kit that he used on Anakin. I think that Luke would basically do whatever Darth Vader did to hunt down Jedi.

IMC Luke will train Leia enough to detect force-users so that she can travel around with Han and Chewie on "diplomatic missions" to various worlds to get them to join the NR or to tow the line. The real (or at least the primary) mission is to hunt down and recruit new Jedi. I think it's a matter of marshalling the NR bureaucracy to feed leads and rumors to her, just like I assume the Empire did for Darth V. (That's basically what they did in the EU, but they didn't do too much sussing out of forceusers IIRC).

As for training at the Academy, I think it would be some kind of hybrid of Yoda's PT and lectures. IMC it would most definitely not be like substitute teacher day with the padawan gathered around the Jedi DVD, namely the holocron. I remember a lot of lines from the Jedi Academy books like "gather round the holocron kids for another lesson" Rolling Eyes It read a little like those filmstrips on the Simpsons: "Hi, I'm Troy McClure, you may remember me from such Jedi training videos as..."

Once Luke has trained his first class of Padawan they could start operating a bit better... fishers of men, and fish (Mon Cal).
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the novels, Luke found a way of finding out if they were force sensitive. He would enter their minds and there was this little "nub" at the back of the brain that when pushed with the force, reacted by pushing back with a force push. The stronger their connection the more violent the reaction. Ie Leia made him stagger back a step, nothing was really perceived on Han and Kyp sent him flying.

He tracked them down by rumours, if they were very lucky or had very good 'gut' feelings. When tested he'd ask them if they were interested in joining the academy.

He also discovered a device the Empire used to test force sensitivity. In the novels Lando used it.

That's all I remember about how he discovers if they're force sensitive.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Jedi Academy sourcebook but really all I remember from the trilogy is they had to use the Death Star again! Oh and there's a ghost in the academy, sounds like a job for Scooby and the gang-zoinks!

Well my daughter (gonna be 10 soon and playing her first RPG with her dad as GM) rolled up a character (Her first! Oh they grow up so fast, I remember my first character......) and it's a young Jedi. She wants to find Luke Skywalker and build a lightsaber. It's an epic quest, one I don't think I am ready for but I will try to rise to the occasion.

What is Luke doing 1 year after Endor? Is he leading military units or is he working in the government? I don't think that he would 'advertise' where the Praxeum is located, that would just invite trouble. I think it would kind of make some sense that he is looking for Force Sensitives and/or Jedi artifacts.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? How would the adventure go?
For many years West End Games ruled justly until the evil Empire defeated them. The Empire now rules with an iron fist and the d20. There are some who resist and continue to live by the old ways and d6.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at that point I think that he's not going to have a praxeum started. But even in Truce of Bakura, he's willing to take people under his wing if they look like they might be young potential students... which your daughter is. However, he is preoccupied with hunting for Force artifacts and keeping the Rebellion/New Republic going.

But still... this allows for great opportunity for your daughter. The first part of her quest is finding Luke. I would suggest this taking a few adventures for anyone who could even put her in contact with Luke. She could have problems with people taking her seriously, and/or being willing to hook her up with such a high ranking Alliance official.

Once he comes in contact with her, he sees her potential, and agrees to give her a little bit of training. However, he still has two problems, he doesn't have a fully functional academy, and he keeps getting tied up with the stuff that the Alliance wants him to do. So, he's got a special task for her. She is the one who needs to go out and hunt for Force artifacts to help build a library for the academy that he would like to build.

The majority of the campaign could focus on her trails in hunting down all the Jedi-oriented stuff that the Emperor couldn't manage to destroy, and accidentally running into the occasional Dark Side artifact that threatens her mental or physical safety.

Domain of Evil is a GREAT adventure to run in this kind of campaign.

How does that sound?
Rasta
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it would kind of make some sense that he is looking for Force Sensitives and/or Jedi artifacts.

This would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Galaxies are big. If there were force sensitives and or Jedi artifacts that elluded the Emporer's obssesive search, which in my opinion would have more resources and man power than Luke's, then he would have to stumble upon it by dumb luck.

I don't really see how Luke could hope to accomplish that, but maybe it is explained somewhere.

It seems more plausible to me for them to find him.
Jedi AlanRocks
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, at that point I think that he's not going to have a praxeum started.But still... this allows for great opportunity for your daughter. The first part of her quest is finding Luke. I would suggest this taking a few adventures for anyone who could even put her in contact with Luke. She could have problems with people taking her seriously, and/or being willing to hook her up with such a high ranking Alliance official.

Right, exactly. What's she supposed to do, go to Courscant and look for him in the white pages? There might be somebody who can help her out, if she's willing to do him a favor (like take out a pirate base) or place a few bribes. Maybe she could get a forged ID and acess to the computers. Right now shes @ sense 1D and Control 1D but later on Jedi characters can be total killing machines. They're like Paladins and you gotta love the Paladins.

cheshire wrote:
Domain of Evil is a GREAT adventure to run in this kind of campaign. How does that sound?

IIRC, that adventure has a few tests of character. I like that and definately want to have something like that. See how she treats people in need, have her tempted to do the wrong thing because it would be easier or faster. I also want physical tests, climbing/jumping/swimming feats that you have to spend Force Points on.

rasta wrote:
This would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Galaxies are big. If there were force sensitives and or Jedi artifacts, then he would have to stumble upon it by dumb luck. It seems more plausible to me for them to find him.

I totally see your point and I have come around to it, even. He sets up an academy on Yavin. But he can't advertise it too loud, right? I think that they find him. Luke spends his days meditating in the Force looking for Jedi and calling them to him. Is it like Degobah? You crash and have to hike to find the temple, having encounters along the way? Tests of strength and character?

Last edited by Jedi AlanRocks on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rasta
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I totally see your point and I have come around to it, even. He sets up an academy on Yavin. But he can't advertise it too loud, right?

I agree. He doesn't want to paint a target on his back. In my game, other higher ups in New Republic command would be aware of his desires and may even share the desire to have a New Jedi Order established. If one is looking for Luke, they would contact the New Republic, who would then in turn contact Luke. Luke may choose to travel to meet them, rather then give out coordinates to anyone who is looking for Jedi.

Quote:
I think that they find him. Luke spends his days meditating in the Force looking for Jedi and calling them to him.

That's a possibility. Though even Yoda was not powerfull enough for this. The Jedi of the Old Jedi order used transmitters to communicate long distance, and in game terms, this would be Heroic+ to accomplish. It also could be dangerous, by attracting people he doesn't necessarily want to attract. Though, on the other hand it could provide some interesting plot scenarios.

So, if it works for your game, do it.

Quote:
Is it like Degobah? You crash and have to hike to find the temple, having encounters along the way? Tests of strength and character?

Sure. That would work. According to EU Luke does not establish the New Jedi Order until 11 ABY. In my game it will be more like 5-6 ABY, as the Characters in my game are helping to establish the order and it will be partially determined by their choices and actions.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC when he set up the praxeum, he made a big speech to mon montha about doing it right at the beginning of the jedi academy trilogy. As to how they got about getting recruits, most were from him and some of his 'higher ups' going around recruiting, and some were 'walk ins'.

For your daughter, being it is right after Bakura, and during the Xwing saga time frame, luke is out and about mostly hunting donw artifacts, and what few other relics he can locate. I cannot really see him taking the time to train a kid. BUT who knows. If she does a real good job convincing him, he might take her with him. BUT do not let that be a reason to have her 'protected'...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta wrote:
If there were force sensitives and or Jedi artifacts that elluded the Emporer's obssesive search, which in my opinion would have more resources and man power than Luke's, then he would have to stumble upon it by dumb luck.

Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.

Very Happy
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: