The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hello and a Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Hello and a Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QMaverick
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Hello and a Question Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the forums! Very Happy

I've been on Rancor Pit several times in the past to get resources, but I finally decided to check out the forums, so here I am.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've GMed, and I'm planning on running some adventures in the near future....

There's something I've never been too clear on, and that's space battle. How is it supposed to work? I mean, I guess I never really understood the scale differences. Do they apply only to weapons damage (i.e. Capital Ship scale Turbo laser vs. space fighter Laser Cannon), or to movement as well?

Hehehe...some quick clarification on the topic might be helpful. I've read the rules, but they just seem...a little muddy to me. In the past, we've always kinda loosely based our space combat (we don't do much of it) on the rules and sort of winged it.

Thanks for the input! And I have really enjoyed reading the forums while I was waiting for my registration to come through. Smile
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scale applies in both to-hit and damage rolls. The smaller target gets the scale difference in bonus to dodge or associated piloting rolls to avoid blasts from the larger target, the larger target gets the scale difference in bonus to damage and soak rolls.

Smaller targets can be harder to hit, but the small weapon is not as likely to cause any serious damage to the massive hull of a capital ship, or whatever. Make sense? If not I can try to come up with some examples.
QMaverick
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense....

So if a fighter hits a Star Destroyer with its 5D Blaster Cannon, how do I figure damage against the SD?

I know it doesn't take the full 5D against its soak...right?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SD resists the fighters 5D attack with its Hull dice, plus any Shield dice, plus 6D from the scale difference (12D -6D). That means there's no chance in hell the fighter will scratch the SD paintjob with those puny lasers, unless he combines fire with a whole bunch of his puny friends.
QMaverick
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so the modifier to the SD's soak is based on that 12D table....I get it now...

I was making it out to be harder than it was...thanks guy! Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a quick example.

Joe our fearless fighter pilot in his shieldless Xwing has been drawn out of hyperspace by Peter in his pirate Corvette.
As it is a very used corellian corvette, it has 3d+2 cap hull, but no shields, though the guns are also different in that they have less damage output but better targeting (4d+2 fire control and 3d damage respectively.

Since the pirates gunnery is 5d+2l, that gives them 4d+2 +5d+2 for a total of 9d+4 to hit our fearless pilot in his Xwing. His piloting and maneuverability gives him 8d+2 to dodge the guns of the corvette, and with scaling he has a massive 14d+2 to dodge. 5 full dice over the pirates.
BUT if they do some how hit him, he has to soak 3d+6d scaling for 9d total damage. Against his Xwings 5d hull.

Since joe has 5d+2 gunnery, adding in the 3d for fire control of the Xwings quad lasers, and the 6d scaling, he has 14d+2 to hit the corvette, which has only 2d maneuverability and pilots with 5d in their cap ship piloting. So he is guarenteed to hit, unless the dice are not in his favor.
So when he does hit, he does the 6d damage of the quad lasers, against their 3d+2 +6d scaling for 9d+2. This means unless he gets real high, and the corvette average, he is not going to damage it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: