The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

2nd edition GM screen vs. 2nd edition revised Gm screen?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> 2nd edition GM screen vs. 2nd edition revised Gm screen?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teräskäsi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: 2nd edition GM screen vs. 2nd edition revised Gm screen? Reply with quote

Is the information presented in these two screens the same, or do they differ much? The 2ER version seems deucedly hard to find...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd ed screen has 4 double paged carboard fold outs, so you can seperate them (by removing the 2 staples) and using them as a massive screen. it does have great info, inc the pics of maneuvering diffs, etc. The R&E screen is just a 3 page fold out, with a little booklet of other info. BUT i will say, most everyone i have seen with the latter screen shows that it stands up better to wear and tear than the former.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... let's not forget that it's MUCH easier to find the 2nd ed, rather than the R&E screen. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true. The past 2 gencons i attended, i saw around 6 of the 2nd ed screens for sale, but not one of the R&E ones.
Teräskäsi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I guess we'll try to get the 2nd edition screen. We have only the first edition screen, but we use 2nd ed revised rules, so our GM would like to have a better screen. besides, the first edition screen is almost worn through now, so it doesn't even stand up unaided. Confused
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Functionally, the 2E screen itself should do you well for game play. They are both second edition, afterall. There are actually more pages of screen on the 2E release than the R&E screen release (but the R&E screen does a pretty good job cramming as much as it can). The 2E has 14 pages of screen total vs. the R&E which has 6 pages of screen total.

The booklet info of each are different but both are great.

The 2E screen release has an introduction with Gamemaster Handbook type info about designing adventures and campaigns. Then it has 6 chapters each focusing on a type of adventure/campaign. Each chapter has general info about each type, and then details several adventure hooks for each. The chapters are: Exploration Advetures, Quest Adventures, Alien Species Adventures, Mystery Adventures, Force Adventures and Smuggler Adventures. This 48-page booklet has a lot of cool ideas.

The 64-page R&E screen booklet is way cool too. It has rules summeries, lists and other stuff compiled from the rulebook and other sourcebooks, stuff not on a screen pages. It has 1E and 2E PC templates not appearing in the R&E book. It has log forms for detailing starships, starports, planets, systems, etc. I really love that it even has in-universe forms for things like starship Captain's License, Ship's License and Arms Load-Out Permits and samples. Things like that can really add a nice touch to your Star Wars gaming experience, if you're into that sort of thing like I am.

I really love both screens and am thankful I have them both. But I noticed that the R&E screens sale are unreasonably expensive, perhaps because they are so rare. So if you can find them within your budget, I highly recommend them both. But the 2E screen should work ok if that is the more reasonalble priced and available one.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Teräskäsi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed description, Whill! I bought a 2E screen on eBay for 9 dollars US. Not bad!
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever picked up the 2nd R&E screen completely without realizing that 2nd R&E had even been released, I believe. I'm a sucker for a screen and it was the first one that I saw in the bookstore which I frequented at the time (around '95 or '96 I believe). I also just happened to have picked up Tales of the Jedi Companion at that same place one day. For a bookstore without much more than the usual big-name rpg's of the day (D&D, Vampire, etc.) that Media Play had a ton of Star Wars RPG stuff. Very Happy
Lando The Archmagi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Media Play went out of business I bought nearly every WEG book they had. I got a good selection of 2E and got the R&E screen too. Mine has been pretty well cared for so it's in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Media Play was awesome, except for in December when they jacked all their CD prices up +$2. They didn't even hide the fact that they did it - you could still see the lower price sticker underneath!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: