The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

PC actions and dsps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> PC actions and dsps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: PC actions and dsps Reply with quote

I was thinking of one of my modules, and how many of us like using military esque rebel sneak raids.. What would happen if say a group of rebels were given orders to break into X, but if it ment some died/got captured, get Y from there.. Would someone who DID just that leaving his team mates to die be worthy of a dsp?
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion no due to the fact that the characters aren't actively bringing about evil actions. Also, what are the circumstances under which the team mate leaves his/her compatriots? Did he/she actively turn the team mates over to the empire?

Please clarify? But generally I'd say no!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more from a day dream of a possible situation. EG my character is well known as the one who thinks more of getting the mission done than anything else. And with his well known high level of sneak (7d+2 iirc) he can easily slip past most if not all imperials. So i was daydreaming of a mission in where we were told we HAD to get the intel or someting real bad would happen, but the others due to ineptness or real low sneak scores felt it would just be easier for them to stage a distraction elsewhere lettign me sneak in.... but when i was done their 'distraction' had led to them being surrounded with not much chance (other than my interfering) of getting out, and if i DID interfere the imperials would have more than likely also captured me. so i (again in the dream) went back to the rebels giving over the info, and leaving the others to get captured (or possibily killed).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that is in in the running for DSPs. Remember, ESB when Luke wants to go off and save his friends. Both Yoda and Obi-wan want Luke to stay and complete his training, sacrificing his friends if necessary for the greater good?

I think this is the same sort of thing. It might be a bit cold, but in war it is sometimes necessary to let some die to serve a greater good. If the mission is really important, like getting a cure for a bioweapon, then it is better to lose a handful of people to the imperials than seeing whole worlds wiped out.

It's not a "feel good" situation, but it is a case of making the best choice available.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree. An officer is faced with that type of decision all the time, who comes first, the mission or my men?

If the mission is necessary, then there may be "acceptable losses". This would also give players a great opportunity to really get into character. What type of leader are they? What should they do? Is their unit/squad/etc. a real close knit unit? Is he willing to sacrifice his friends/buddies/comrades for the good of the mission?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can always go back for them later....
Tem_Starrunner
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes rescuing/obtaining information is more important than any life. Episode IV is a good example: Leia is willing to sacrifice the entire crew of the Tantive IV and herself to make sure the Rebellion had a chance of getting the Death Star plans. The Rebel pilots that flew and died at the Battle of Yavin knew that what they were doing was suicide. The ground defenders at the Battle of Hoth were in about the same position also.

Sacrifice sometimes is a necessary in combat and with some missions expected. In the Star Wars universe the types of mission rebels took part in were nearly always suicide missions with sacrifices being made
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: