The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"Normals" vs. Jedi... a comparison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> "Normals" vs. Jedi... a comparison Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggmoridin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an idea that lostboy and i came up with to regulate force growth was to treat the force skills as adcanced skills. we started a thread in the house rules section http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2285, tho it wasnt really descussed Razz

we are in the middle of play testing it with a force user and a non-force user but unfortunatly we havent played much as the other player has been to busy lately not sure if this helps ppl.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
[.

In reply to your earlier post. Yoda had Danger Sense up. [/quote]

Still wouldn't work in RPG terms.. Since Yoda jumped first the combat, his first action in the round would be a jump. The the Clone Troopers would get their first action.

Out group had a lot of problems with Danger Sense too. It caused more problems than all the other force powers combined. We hasd a lot of silly situations where bad guys with drawn blasters couldn't shoot becuase hey didn't know something going to happen last round. The power is ridculiously powerful in the hands of a Sith or other baddie.

Quote:

I dunno what a whatsits draw is, but if it means drawing your weapon and hitting first. That can be supported by Danger Sense and Combat Sense. Both of these force powers allow the Jedi to see what's coming and react first.

The problem is I don't believe that Jedi are walking around with Danger Sense up. BTW, Iai, is the skill of drawing an attacking with a Katana as a single motion. It is used for duals and "showdowns" in Samurai films much he way the "quickdraw" is a stable of Westerns.

Now, since a lot of the lightsaber stuff comes from Japanese swordmanship, and since there is a "quick draw" form of lightsaber, there should be some way to do this in the RPG.

Quote:

Yoda, Luke (Post-ESB), and Obi-Wan easily have enough Force Skill dice and Climb/Jump skill to overcome the MAP of hopping around the room. Climb/Jump 4D + Alter (Telekinesis) 8D -4D or 5D for the MAP.

No they don't. Try running one of the fight scenes by the rules. Even with your example, you are adding TK to jump dice, instead of using one or the other.

Quote:

Ok, on to the current topic...
Just wanted to point out that I explicitly stated that a Jedi who uses (A) Lightsaber and LS Combat cannot hurt himself (barring a 1 on the Wild die, GM's discretion)

Oops, I missed that bit. Sorry.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, Iai, is the skill of drawing an attacking with a Katana as a single motion. It is used for duals and "showdowns" in Samurai films much he way the "quickdraw" is a stable of Westerns.

IIRC there is a quick draw skill that allows you to split your dice pool and add it to initiave and the remainder is used to shoot... could work for melee/lightsabers as well.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
BTW, Iai, is the skill of drawing an attacking with a Katana as a single motion. It is used for duals and "showdowns" in Samurai films much he way the "quickdraw" is a stable of Westerns.

IIRC there is a quick draw skill that allows you to split your dice pool and add it to initiave and the remainder is used to shoot... could work for melee/lightsabers as well.

I know. The only problem using it with melee/lightsaber is that a character who "quickdraws" can only do quickdraws for the round. Technically that means no lightsaber combat. In fact, Even keeping the power up from the previous round would nix it.

And I think Obi-wan parries a blaster shot in the Mos Eisley Catina.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask this:

Does one have to have a Lightsaber drawn to have LS combat up?

Perhaps Obi-Wan had LS combat up before he drew his lightsaber.

Just a thought.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a bar??
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a bar??

Actually, probably the moment he made it into town. Remember his words to Luke before they entered? "Mos Eisely. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany."

He knew the place as bad, warned Luke that they had to watch their steps in the town. So bar or not, he was ready for pretty much anything. Chances are, Obi Wan had Danger Sense and Combat Sense all fired up along with his Lightsaber combat. That's why he went over to bail Luke out of trouble. He wasn't trying to be nice to the rotten scum at the bar. He was trying to protect Luke from what he knew was an impending attack.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well stated.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Let me ask this:

Does one have to have a Lightsaber drawn to have LS combat up?

Perhaps Obi-Wan had LS combat up before he drew his lightsaber.

Just a thought.

Considering that he warned Luke to watch his step, I could see Obi-Wan having Danger Sense up while in the Catina. and then activating LS combat the round before the fighting started. Technically LS Combat says that it is activated at "the start of a battle", but I could see the round before as being close enough for the spirit of the rule. But...

Even so things don7t work. The "my turn, your turn" sequencing using in 2nd edition just don't hold up for many scenese.

And, since Obi-wan does parry, that eliminates the "quickdraw" rules. Basically the scene is a quickdraw in the classic sense.

I suppose the fix would be to allow quickdrawing character to parry with a lightsaber since ithey are using the same skill (unlike characters who dodge).

But, every Jedi fight scene now needs the same thing to work, and I just don't buy the "he had Danger Sense up" excuse for everything.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Here's a spreadsheet I worked up...

Jedi vs Melee

I'll add some commentary tomorrow when I'm not half-asleep Laughing

Sorry I'm late on responding to this. Some points of contention.

1) Why doesn't the Jedi work on getting his lightsaber skill up? Since lightsaber is used for both attack and parry, it essentially covers both melee weapons and melee parry skills. So even if the Jedi is paying double due to the lack of a teacher, he is still breaking even. Factor in the need for both characters to defend against blasters and the Jedi actually comes out ahead, since lightsaber now handles dodge. Considering that failure to wield a lightsaber effectively is dangerous to a Jedi, all our Jedi PCs raised this skill at least as fast as Force Skills.

2) Teachers get harder for the melee character to find too. While it'S easy to find a teacher at low dice codes, by the time the character hits 6-7D and starts becoming the best character in an area, it gets tougher to find a melee weapon teacher.

This is where the Jedi start to pass the "normals". AQt a point, the Melee fighter must pay double cost to raise two skills. The Jedi can just focus on LIghtsaber skill for a bit and work on Sense at the same point cost. This means the JEdi is improving his attacks and parries by 2 pips each for the same Cps it takes the melee fighter to improve each 1 pip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: