The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help with my SWD6 Legend variant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Help with my SWD6 Legend variant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Help with my SWD6 Legend variant Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with D6 Legend mechanics?

In order to speed up play I'm attempting to use some D6 Legend mechanics in my game. I dug out my old copy of WEG's DC Universe and SW R&E rulebook and got to work. My goal for right now is not to fundamentally alter SW, just speed up all rolls. At first I was surprised how easy the "success" based dice system fits into SW. I don't even have to alter the NPC stat blocks. The parts where I was unsure were the damage and scaling.

First damage, SW RAW uses a number range; damage greater than or equal to the STR roll by a certain amount produces a certain effect (Stun, Wounded, Incapacitated, etc...).

With D6 Legend we have successes so I wasn't sure how to convert this. My gut instinct tells me to simply have 1 success=Stunned, 2 successes=Wounded, 3 successes=Incapacitated, 4 successes= Mortally wounded, and 5 successes=killed. I don't see why this wouldn't work but perhaps another set of eyes can see something?

Another issue is with scaling. I decided the extra dice method would have to be used over the caps. Now with the extra die, should I treat them as extra die rolled or automatic successes? For classic example, the snowspeeder & walker presented in the book. It is a 2D(?) difference between them in the chart. Should I roll the 2D difference as SW RAW or should I convert the 2D as two automatic successes between the vehicles. So when the speeder fires at the walker it gets +2 successes added to whatever result it rolls. Assuming the speeder's attack hits, the walker gets an automatic +2 successes to rolls to resist damage.

Am I making any sense? Thoughts?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts,

Damage
It depends on if you want to use would levels or body points.

You could go with the dice damage and add in the successes of the attack to the damage roll and use your 1 suceess= Stunned, 2= Wounded, etc. but it will make the game a bit deadlier. I'd suggest dropping the SW damage values by a die or two to offset some of the added damage from the successes. You could even change this to a flat bonus. Say a blaster could be +1 success, a blaster rifle +2 success and so on. That will make it less likely for a Stormtrooper to kill a PC with a lucky hit from a blaster rifle. I'd consider having armor add a flat bonus too.

SCALING
One problem with flat bonuses here is that in Legend the to hit bonus will cancel out the soak bonus. For example, if an X-Wing shoots at a Star Destroyer, the +6 success it gets to it'S attack roll, will translate into +6 success for damage, and cancel out a flat +6 the ISD gets to it's Hull. That is going to be a big problem with Legend's game mechanics and and scaling.

What you need to do is increase the Hull/Damage scaling mod to offset the extra damage provided by the attack scaling mod. (And ditto for damage vs. dodge scaling). So that means doubling the Hull/Damage scaling dice.

What you might want to consider is using multipliers for some of this, like they did in the DC RPG. It's much easier to roll 6Dx3 Hull than 18D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: