The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fun with Complications
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Fun with Complications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Fun with Complications Reply with quote

I am looking for a little input from the forum with regard to what I call 'complications'. Often in star wars damage has secondary effect - you are blinded, lose a limb, etc. I've created a set of rules to codify this sort of thing in our games called 'complications' and I've decided I'd like to put a list of ideas for complications in the write-up.

I'm sure that many of you use similar ideas in your games - I know I did for a long time before I started using the word complication to refer to it - and I was wondering if people would like to contribute their ideas in this thread.

So, for example, this is just a quick list of the types of complications I am talking about. The system is very fluid and flexible but I was thinking of adding a few suggested rules for each complication. I'm hoping that this could be a good "ideas" resources even for those people of who have no intention of using my rules.

Physical Complications
Anything that could result from being physically assaulted.

Energy Damage
Blinded: You become blind and everyone benefits from complete concealment against you until you recover from the complication.

Stiffness: You suffer a -1 penalty to all action involving the effected body part due to burns.

Slashing Physical Damage
Severed Arm: You lose your arm. You cannot attack with that arm or use it to manipulate your environment and you suffer a -2D to -4D penalty to all actions that while possible would usually involve the use of more than one arm.

Bludgeoning Physical Damage

Bruising: will be at -1 to all actions for 1d6 hours after the wound heals due to cauterization/stiffness

Blast Zone Damage

Dark Side Corruption
These consequences are usually the result of over-use of the dark side of the Force. All of the negative effects of a dark side complication abate for one minute each time you get a dark side point.

Rapid Aging (appearance): You suffer a -1D penalty to all interaction skill rolls due to a sudden and hideous appearance of age.

Rapid Aging (osteoporosis): You body is suffering from an advanced and deliberating effect on your bones. You suffer either a -1D penalty to all dexterity and strength related skill rolls that require movement or a -2 penalty to all move speeds.

Rapid Aging (constitution): Your body is beginning to fail and you suffer a -1D penalty to strength rolls pertaining to illness, disease and all uses of the stamina skill.

Blindness: You go blind (see the physical complications above) but you cannot use cyber-eyes to repair this effect and you gain the ability to see normally for one minute each time you gain a dark side point.

Mental Complications
These would be the sorts of problems individuals might develop from psychic or mental dark side powers being used on them or from using the dark side for too long. Everything from mental disease, memory loss to complete mental breakdown could be suitable, depending on how bad you wanted the complication to be.

Mental Trauma/Shell Shock/Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: All skills are at -1D after combat ceases due to "post-combat shakes". Persuasion or Command roll can remove this penalty.

Vehicle Complications

Weapon Hit:
One on-board weapon was hit and destroyed; the gunners take damage. The gunner must roll to resist damage equal to the complication roll. Randomly determine which weapon is hit.

Shield Generators: Shield generator suffers a hit and looses 1D points from all arcs and protection pool and all shield operations rolls must beat the complication roll in order to succeed. If the vehicle has no generator or the generator is already disabled roll again.

Destroyed power plant: The vehicle’s repulsorlift generator or motor is completely destroyed. If a ground vehicle is moving at high speed or all-out speed, it crashes. If the ground vehicle is moving at cruising or cautious speed, it simply rolls or bounces to a stop. Flying vehicles plummet towards the ground — the pilot must make a save vehicle roll in order to save his craft.

Overloaded generator: The engine or generator begins to overload and will explode in 1D rounds, inflicting damage equal to the complication to all passengers and the vehicle. (The pilot must make a save vehicle roll in order to save his craft.)

Disabled weapons and shields:
All weapons systems and shield generators completely shut down for one round. At the beginning of each round roll 1D. On a 1 the weapons and shields do not work this round.

Passenger injured:
Random passenger must roll to resist the complication roll as a damage roll.
Air bags deploy: damage to the vehicle has triggered the vehicle's safety features (air bags, safety harness, foam system (go watch Demolition Man)) and these are now interfering with the driver's ability to control the vehicle

Software Complications

These would be the sorts of complications that happen when software gets mis-programed and such - for when droids hack into computers and get horrible feedback.

Tripped Security: The information has been found, but security has been tripped (slicer may or may not be aware of the trip) alerting the appropriate authorities of the computer security breach.
Virus: see tripped security above. Slicer gets infected with malicious software (slicer may or may not be aware of the virus) effects at GM's whim.
Encoded: The information has been found, but it's encoded. Can be retrieved and decoded later with a V Difficult Communications roll in 1d6 hours. (Dammit, we need the info NOW!)
Crash: Slicing attempt accidentally finds a flaw in the host computer causing the system to reboot/crash/meltdown.

Random Occurrences

Although I originally asked about injuries people have also suggested a lot of random incidents and difficulties that could occur during combat, especially when a 1 is rolled on the wild dice, so I've decided to include those:

* target knocked away from the blast 1d6 meters... (potentially into something far worse than a grenade.) Out of the frying pan and into the fire, as they say

*Power pack out of ammo "Click! Click!"
*Forgot to take safety off
*Short circuit- Blaster won't work until repaired (Difficulty determined by GM)
*Overload- Blaster becomes hot to the touch, starts overloading and will explode (like a grenade) in 2D seconds (recommend a secret roll by the GM)
*Colatteral damage- fellow PC or innocent bystander hit instead
*Miss and ricochet- blaster bolt bounces back towards firer or firer's companions
*As you swing your hand/foot, you push yourself out of balance and tumble over
*As you spin for your kick, you strain yourself
*As you kick high, you hear a 'RIPPPPP' from down below (had happen twice)
*As you go to block his blow, your arm actually bounces back from the force of the blow giving you a bloody nose
*as you swing your sword it flops out of your hand
*as you swing your stun baton, the switch for turning it on clicks off.

Anyway, I thought I would put this up as I'm working on it, adding to the list as I go and I thought people might enjoy the opportunity to contribute their own ideas or similar things that have been inflicted on them by malicious Game Masters in their own games so I might share the joy with others in the final draft of my chapter for Game Masters Smile Oh, yeah, and suggestions for categories would also be appreciated.

Last edited by cunning_kindred on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:39 am; edited 3 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your loss of arm and blindness imo is more of a maim than an complication.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the term complication to refer to any secondary effect that can result from an injury. They can be very severe. They should be something that hinders healing. So I suppose in the case of conventional injuries I'm using the term in the sense of 'medical complication'. i.e. it can kill you.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
I use the term complication to refer to any secondary effect that can result from an injury. They can be very severe. They should be something that hinders healing. So I suppose in the case of conventional injuries I'm using the term in the sense of 'medical complication'. i.e. it can kill you.

I think what garhkal means is that the loss of a limb or blindness are covered in the existing rules on damage >16, a kill result, which, by GM or player choice, could be a maim (loss of limb or other permanent injury).

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think what garhkal means is that the loss of a limb or blindness are covered in the existing rules on damage >16, a kill result, which, by GM or player choice, could be a maim (loss of limb or other permanent injury).

I'm aware of that is how one would get such a result. What I was asking for was would anyone like to volunteer the types of afflictions that GMs have inflicted on them or that they (as GMs) like to afflict on their players as a result of such a rule.

As I said, the version of the rules I use have rules for introducing such things into the game, as too do the normal rules and I'm sure there are many house rules out there. I started to write a list of the sorts of things that could be introduced into the game via my rules and realised that this was a more general concept that could be of use to anyone playing star wars regardless of the rules they use:

What kind of maimed results have you afflicted?
What kind of dark side corruption have your NPCs had (or your players for that matter)?
What kind of rules have you used to represent them in the game?

I'm kind of imagining we could assemble a list of ideas that other players and GMs could use to inspire them in their own games

I'm sure every player will find the rules that suit him for introducing them into play - from because I say so to if you roll 24 on 5D when being hit by a plasma cannon at a range of medium only you can suffer this specific consequence if I roll a 4 on d6 and you roll a 9 on a d12. Smile
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've been comfortable enough sticking with the traditional concept of complication (WD 1 followed by 6) and haven't really felt the need to make combat more difficult than it already is.

My players don't walk simply through combat, and more often than not, the come out the other side with something to think about... if they come out the other side at all. Adding in extra punishment hasn't seemed necessary to convey the idea that combat's dangerous.

As for maim results, people have lost arms, legs, gone blind, lost toes or fingers... each causing their own difficulties; -1D or more for certain actions, loss of movement/Dexterity, whatever fits the injury.

For Dark Siders, well, my players have only managed to encounter one or two in the past 15 or so years, and most of their corruptions have been more flavour text than mechanical (not everything needs a die based mechanic); most of the dark siders have managed to stay pretty well hidden orchestrating from the shadows.

Generally when I have to use a complication like you describe, it's tailored to the situation. I'm not one for tables, generally.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun with Complications Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
Physical Complications
Anything that could result from being physically assaulted.

If we're talking about comlications as a result of rolling a 1 on the Wild Die, I personally wouldn't make any effect permanent or immediately deadly.

cunning_kindred wrote:
Energy Damage
Blinded: You become blind and everyone benefits from complete concealment against you until you recover from the complication.

...roll 1d6 for the number of rounds you are temporarily blinded.

Stiffness: will be at -1 to all actions for 1d6 hours after the wound heals due to cauterization/stiffness.

cunning_kindred wrote:
Slashing Physical Damage
Severed Arm: You lose your arm. You cannot attack with that arm or use it to manipulate your environment and you suffer a -2D to -4D penalty to all actions that while possible would usually involve the use of more than one arm.

Severed Arm is too permanent for a complication. Now, arm unusable until a Medicine roll, that's a different story.

Bleeding: Wound will continue to bleed causing 3D damage for 1d6 rounds. Bleeding can be stopped with a Very Easy First Aid check. (I think one of the Rodian weapons had a similar rule written.)

cunning_kindred wrote:
Bludgeoning Physical Damage

Bruising: see Stiffness above

cunning_kindred wrote:
Mental Physical Damage

I'll overlook the obvious oxymoron of the category cuz I think I know what you mean.

Mental Trauma/Shell Shock/Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: All skills are at -1D after combat ceases due to "post-combat shakes" for 1d6 hours. Moderate Persuasion or Command roll can remove this penalty.

cunning_kindred wrote:
Blast Zone Damage

Knockback: target knocked away from the blast 1d6 meters... (potentially into something far worse than a grenade.) Out of the frying pan and into the fire, as they say. Smile

cunning_kindred wrote:
Vehicle Complications

Weapon Hit:
One on-board weapon was hit and destroyed; the gunners take damage. The gunner must roll to resist damage equal to the complication roll. Randomly determine which weapon is hit.

Shield Generators: Shield generator suffers a hit and loses 1D points from all arcs and protection pool and all shield operations rolls must beat the complication roll in order to succeed. If the vehicle has no generator or the generator is already disabled roll again.

Destroyed power plant: The vehicle’s repulsorlift generator or motor is completely destroyed. If a ground vehicle is moving at high speed or all-out speed, it crashes. If the ground vehicle is moving at cruising or cautious speed, it simply rolls or bounces to a stop. Flying vehicles plummet towards the ground — the pilot must make a save vehicle roll in order to save his craft.

Overloaded generator: The engine or generator begins to overload and will explode in 1D rounds, inflicting damage equal to the complication to all passengers and the vehicle. (The pilot must make a save vehicle roll in order to save his craft.)

Disabled weapons and shields:
All weapons systems and shield generators completely shut down for one round. At the beginning of each round roll 1D. On a 1 the weapons and shields do not work this round.

Passenger injured:
Random passenger must roll to resist the complication roll as a damage roll.

Again, I would tend to go with "make the appropriate vehicle repair roll to counteract the complication"

Air bags deploy: damage to the vehicle has triggered the vehicle's safety features (air bags, safety harness, foam system (go watch Demolition Man)) and these are now interfering with the driver's ability to control the vehicle

cunning_kindred wrote:

Software Complications

These would be the sorts of complications that happen when software gets mis-programed and such - for when droids hack into computers and get horrible feedback.

Tripped Security: The information has been found, but security has been tripped (slicer may or may not be aware of the trip) alerting the appropriate authorities of the computer security breach.

Virus: see tripped security above. Slicer gets infected with malicious software (slicer may or may not be aware of the virus) effects at GM's whim.

Encoded: The information has been found, but it's encoded. Can be retrieved and decoded later with a V Difficult Communications roll in 1d6 hours. (Dammit, we need the info NOW!)

Alternatively, the slicer may have found the WRONG information that's encoded, but won't know about it until the data is decoded.

Crash: Slicing attempt accidentally finds a flaw in the host computer causing the system to reboot/crash/meltdown.

(Can you tell I'm an IT guy? hehehe)
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I've been comfortable enough sticking with the traditional concept of complication (WD 1 followed by 6) and haven't really felt the need to make combat more difficult than it already is.

My players don't walk simply through combat, and more often than not, the come out the other side with something to think about... if they come out the other side at all. Adding in extra punishment hasn't seemed necessary to convey the idea that combat's dangerous.

I'm not sure I've made myself clear on how and why I use complications. I wasn't inclined to waste time here doing so because I've done so elsewhere at length and I was rather hoping to get a bit of a conversation about interesting injuries that individual have suffers - not get bogged down with game rules issues.

Complications in my games are very simple rules wise. They are not so much something extra but a re-working of some of the issues which face players with incapacitated and mortally wounded results in the original rules - the reasons why we did this are too many and too boring to go into in this thread Smile

we've found it to be very rewarding - had we not, we would have gone back to the original rules just as we have in many other cases. Our combats are brutal but complications only come up infrequently but when they do they are filled with story potential - you have to get rid of a complication before you can heal normal injuries and even when you do overcome a complication the consequences might linger for some time thereafter and they can - if the circumstances seem to demand - even be permanent. I suspect our complications come up no more often than a similar phenomenon does in your game.

Quote:

For Dark Siders, well, my players have only managed to encounter one or two in the past 15 or so years, and most of their corruptions have been more flavour text than mechanical (not everything needs a die based mechanic); most of the dark siders have managed to stay pretty well hidden orchestrating from the shadows.

I never said that it did. I was asking what people have used so that others could share in this information. I thought that might be fun. See what effects 'in game' different people think would be attached to certain injuries I think could be very insightful into how others view and use the rules and this in turn could lead to improvements in my own (or someone else's) handling of those same rules on the fly during my own game.

As for dark side characters, I'm sure someone out there has played a dark side campaign (something I still play with the notion of doing some day) and I would love to hear what twisted afflictions players and game masters have come up with. Just a case of curiosity on my part.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Can you tell I'm an IT guy? hehehe)

Your suggestions will prove invaluable. Thanks. I particularly like the air-bag deployed and encoded complications - I would never have thought of either Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:

I'm aware of that is how one would get such a result. What I was asking for was would anyone like to volunteer the types of afflictions that GMs have inflicted on them or that they (as GMs) like to afflict on their players as a result of such a rule.

What kind of maimed results have you afflicted?
What kind of dark side corruption have your NPCs had (or your players for that matter)?
What kind of rules have you used to represent them in the game?

Ah, i thought you were on about complications from teh wild dice...
What kind of maims have i had.

Several over the years with the Sparks group. My 2 faves for blaster shots were knee caps being shot out and arms being blown off. For melee it was severed limbs and with one guy who got whakked in the head, his lower jaw was shattered.
Dark side corruption.. not yet. Had no one turn that played them after the turn. ALl went to NPC status.

As for rules.

Loss of leg, immediate -3d on all dex related and strength related checks (bar soaks), and half move. Inability to go past cruse speed on foot, and to lift.
Loss of arm (depends if weapon arm or not), immedate -3d to blaster and all other ranged combat. -2d on all brawl and parry attempts.
Loss of jaw/shattering of lower jaw bone. -4d on all perception based checks involving speach.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cunning_kindred,

We are working on something similar to this on Star Wars Universe Sourcebook thread in the tools section.

We are compiling a injury chart for gamemasters to use when players get injured. Be sure to check it out and give us some feedback or join us if you like what you see.

It is a massive project and anybody who wants to be involved, we would love to have you.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Blaster Complications:
----------------------------------
*Power pack out of ammo "Click! Click!"
*Forgot to take safety off
*Short circuit- Blaster won't work until repaired (Difficulty determined by GM)
*Overload- Blaster becomes hot to the touch, starts overloading and will explode (like a grenade) in 2D seconds (recommend a secret roll by the GM)
*Colatteral damage- fellow PC or innocent bystander hit instead
*Miss and ricochet- blaster bolt bounces back towards firer or firer's companions
*The possibilities are limitless....
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seeing if any progress was being made on the complication chart.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some brawl/melee complications..

As you swing your hand/foot, you push yourself out of balance and tumble over
AS you spin for your kick, you strain yourself
As you kick high, you hear a 'RIPPPPP' from down below (had happen twice)
As you go to block his blow, your arm actually bounces back from the force of the blow giving you a bloody nose
as you swing your sword it flops out of your hand
as you swing your stun baton, the switch for turing it on clicks off.
cunning_kindred
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just seeing if any progress was being made on the complication chart.

Rather slowly unfortunately Smile Been rather busy but the first post in the thread now has an update of all the suggestions so far made in the thread so we can all see how far I've got. I have a few others in my own files but I'll have to add those at a later date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: