The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Off the wall player actions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Off the wall player actions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... A tpk from a pair of ties that were thrown in for suspence. I know i let the dice fall where they may, but even i am not that cruel.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stikes me more as making the players deal with the consaquenses of your own stupidity.
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too me also, which is why I have a standard speech for all new players in my games. Part of it goes like this, "I run a deadly game, I have no problems killing your character. Having said that, understand that I am never out to kill the characters, but I will most certainly allow you to get your character killed."
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that TPK was involved, but players need experiences like that. They lose respect for the dangers of adventuring if they can blow off threats. Sometimes it's helpful if a PC gets whacked by a seemingly low-risk enemy - it maintains tension and makes them keep their heads. If it were a "real life" situation they would not have ignored the representatives of the Imperial establishment like that. It's only reasonable that they be blown up for their arrogance.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yak Face wrote:
It's a shame that TPK was involved, but players need experiences like that. They lose respect for the dangers of adventuring if they can blow off threats. Sometimes it's helpful if a PC gets whacked by a seemingly low-risk enemy - .

One of the funniest kills i had was when the party were making a ruckus at a bar on a well to do planet. The imps had a very small presence, leaving most of the duties to the local law enforcement. Well as with all bar brawls, 4 cops showed up and proceeded to knock the participants over the head with their clubs. Cue to the party's jedi who whipped out his LS so he could 'defend' himself and his co-horts from these peons (his words), when 2 decided to whak HIM in the head... both made it past his parry and when one got 39 on the damage and the other 44, he barely hit 20 with his 2 soaks even using all 5 of his CP (starting characters. I gave him plenty of chances to convince me he should only take a maim rather than the kill, but he was all for it.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wow... A tpk from a pair of ties that were thrown in for suspence. I know i let the dice fall where they may, but even i am not that cruel.

In 15 years of gaming, this was my only TPK. Characters die here and there, but this was so stupid! It did have a positive result, though: The group rolled new characters and really got busy. They actually worked to buy armor plating and better shields, involved themselves much better in the world and said "YES SIR!" even if the Imperial did NOT ask a question.

I really felt bad for the group, when it happened, but I guess this was necessary.

Quote:
both made it past his parry and when one got 39 on the damage and the other 44, he barely hit 20

OUCH!

>-q=p---
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'worst' death i have had, was when a trio of stormies shot a wookie player.. 2 had light repeaters and one a heavy pistol (taken from a knocked out pc). Between the 3 hitting, the damage was at the high side, 76, and at the low side 48. The wookie had 30 max for his 3 soaks even with character points.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was probably the time when one of the players didn't trust the rebel contact who supplied the group with a sample of the Empire's new biological weapon, and decided he wanted to open the container and "check it out" for himself.
madterryk
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running a mission for two friends, both experienced players. There was one jedi and a farghul explorer. They had flown to this planet to check for some jedi artifacts and the poor farghul got captured by a group of Stars NoVa Mercs that were targeting the Jedi. The mercs threatened to kill the Farghul if the jedi didnt surrender. The standoff went on for a littlebit and finally the Jedi player blurted out "He isn't gonna kill you ---". Well Quell Tepine (in a fit of game master irritation) shot the farghul in the head killing him on the spot. I intended just to seriously hurt and injure the guy but the player wouldn't spend more than two character points.

Well the Jedi learned his lesson and the players from that point on knew I would kill their characters. The jedi and others had a long campain hunting down the stars nova mercs after that.

I also had a player kidnap another players pet bird (Redbird the parrot) in the game, freeze the bird in carbonite, and kick it out of a freighter as a joke. This same guy also tried to get his picture taken with every unique looking alien in the game. I also am slightly ashamed of the absurdity of this particular mission, we were all very very drunk that night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: