The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Broken Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Broken Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enderandrew
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Broken Rules Reply with quote

Which official rules do you disagree with?

I've never been crazy about how scale rules are handled. I thought the MAP rules were broken.

I'm considering going to pick up D6 Space because there are new scale rules, a variation of hit points (which I'm not sure if I would want or not), and some other changes.

However, apparently West End was just sold, not to mention that they don't have the Star Wars license. So I'm not sure if I'm going to go buy the book just to see one variation on scale rules when I can likely just make my own at this point.

I'm curious what rules people don't like.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, WEG hasn't been sold yet, and it's likely that it won't be. Eric Gibson is regrouping and trying to relaunch the company's products.

However, I think that you're right in saying that buying a book for scale rules is a bit foolhardy. Especially because the D6 Space book wasn't really much to get excited about in the first place.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And heck, we could probably explain the scale rules better. Plus, kinda going along with the "house rules" I mentioned in another thread, I've got my own set of scales that actually melds all three systems together, and expands the number of scales available.

So there are certainly other options out there. But if you really want the D6 Space book....get it. Just realize that if you get that and maybe the D6 Spaceships book, you're going to have some scale inconsistancies. I was talking with cheshire about that just today. So even if you get those books, you'll have some work cut out for you.

For the record, though, the "modifier" version of scaling in the new D6 core books is actually pretty sound. It's just their scales that they apply to things that come out inconsistant. In my opinion, the best method of scaling is still the Die Cap method, followed by the newer "static modifier" version from the new core books, and the "added dice" method of 2nd R&E coming in last. I know others disagree, that's why I came up with a method to meld all of them so people can use whichever version they want.
enderandrew
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scale is one of the most broke core mechanics. I didn't suggest an improvement because I haven't read the D6 Space one, nor do I know exactly how the best way to handle it is.

If you have a really good suggestion for how to handle scale, I'd love to hear it.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like training time.
There's enough to keep track of in a game without taking a time out to calculate how many hours a character has free to train. Keeping track of it on paper is also a chore. In-game, it disrupts the flow of the session. Before or after the game, it's just more book keeping.
I can't recall playing in a game where the GM used the training time rules from the book. Many (like me) write their own rule for slowing down skill growth. Others both ignore the rule and then don't replace it, and then whine on message boards about how many dice their players are rolling.
enderandrew
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, I've never utilized it personally. The GM could utilize training time as a means to slow down a character who wants to put all their points in one skill. But I've never really had to enforce training time limits.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travel time in hyperspace can be great for training.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used training times for skills they did not actively use in a gaming session...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have always used training times for skills they did not actively use in a gaming session...

Same. And as Lostboy suggested, travel time is a useful training device. Skills that are actively used in the game sessions prior to being increased, I treat their usages as training/practice.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: