The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting Attributes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Starting Attributes Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Starting Attributes Reply with quote

OK starting a new campaign and one player wants to play a Xa Fel near human from the Thrawn trilogy. The question I have is how many starting attribute dice does he get since "normal" Xa Fel only get 9D? Is it 18D like everyone else or go by the apparent math and only give him 13+2D?

Then again maybe I should just talk him into being an Ubese?
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Attributes Reply with quote

The Brain wrote:
OK starting a new campaign and one player wants to play a Xa Fel near human from the Thrawn trilogy. The question I have is how many starting attribute dice does he get since "normal" Xa Fel only get 9D? Is it 18D like everyone else or go by the apparent math and only give him 13+2D?

Then again maybe I should just talk him into being an Ubese?

you give him 13+2D Unless you want to exercise some GM Fiat. Smile
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the rules, PCs get 6D beyond the species Attribute Dice, so 15D in attributes. SKill dice are unaffected and remain at 7D.

A GM can change this for the sake of "balance", but I would argue that doing so removes the flavour of playing the species... in which case, what's the point of playing it??

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the player should only get 15D, that's part of the fun (consequences) of playing non-humans. aliens should be different, even near humans.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
By the rules, PCs get 6D beyond the species Attribute Dice, so 15D in attributes. SKill dice are unaffected and remain at 7D.

A GM can change this for the sake of "balance", but I would argue that doing so removes the flavour of playing the species... in which case, what's the point of playing it??

Well in his opinion the Technical Apptitude special ability Wink
Still for an extra 3D worth of attributes and staying in the realm of near-humaness I think he'll take the Ubese.
Noven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

So Hapans get 13D in attribute dice actually get 19D (13+6)?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noven wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Exactly Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noven wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Yep, many folks aren't aware, but Twi'leks get 17D in attributes (11D+6D)

Coynites (from Planets of the Galaxy III) are also 13D base so 19D for PCs.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Yep, many folks aren't aware, but Twi'leks get 17D in attributes (11D+6D)

This is something that I've recognized... but don't fully agree with. I've come across nothing in the source material to suggest that Twi'lek are in any way inferior to humans... in fact there's a fair bit of material suggesting slight advantages in certain circumstances... but, I go by the book when making characters anyway.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently i had a player request a Twi'lek as the ship's mechanic and was disappointed to learn of there lower attribute cap than human in Technical.

But from another point of view is the Meri: max Dex 6D seams a little arbitrary.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostboy wrote:
Recently i had a player request a Twi'lek as the ship's mechanic and was disappointed to learn of there lower attribute cap than human in Technical.

But from another point of view is the Meri: max Dex 6D seams a little arbitrary.

So/ What's your point? it means that the Twi'lek has to work harder to get really good at it, which makes the character MORE Interesting to me. Wink
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:
Lostboy wrote:

So/ What's your point? it means that the Twi'lek has to work harder to get really good at it, which makes the character MORE Interesting to me. Wink

Agreed Smile
That's part of why I made a Wookiee Jedi for Vong's PbP Fading Light here on the Pit. Wookiee are not well suited to the Jedi life... makes things much more interesting. I have a few other character concepts that are similar, using species not suited to their chosen professions. It's pretty rewarding when you get them to the point where they're actually GOOD at what they chose.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Falcon79 wrote:
Lostboy wrote:

Agreed Smile
That's part of why I made a Wookiee Jedi for Vong's PbP Fading Light here on the Pit. Wookiee are not well suited to the Jedi life... makes things much more interesting. I have a few other character concepts that are similar, using species not suited to their chosen professions. It's pretty rewarding when you get them to the point where they're actually GOOD at what they chose.

True My second SWD6 PC ever was an Ewok who REALLY wanted to learn about piloting vehicles of all types and Technology of all types... (He was more curious then even your typhical Ewok is) well he had to work at it, but after a while he had his own light freghter he flew around in and was fair at fixing problems with the groups speeder and other gear.... but i really had to work on it to get there.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon79 wrote:

Agreed. Working to get what you do is imo a lot more satisfying than having it handed to you.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoy that aspect of the game.

My second Star Wars character was an Essomian Antenna Breaker.

I enjoyed developing him into a talented pilot and galaxy renound performer despite his obvious limitations in those fields.

One day I'll have to find the character sheet and post his stats.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: