The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vibro....... weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Vibro....... weapons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AWAD
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Vibro....... weapons Reply with quote

Searched the core books and this site for some clarification on Vibro weapons.

1) Do they ignore armor?
2) Does armor just count the normal D6 not 2D6 you see versus physical attacks.
3) Noise, is it loud?
4) If not always on is it an action to flip the switch? Or is that being a @@@?
5) If a vibrosword more effective to cutting holes, ie a jr door opening Lightsaber?

Thanks in advance,

AWAD
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) No, vibro-weapons are subject to the same rules as any physical damage.

2) If you are talking about stormtrooper armor (+2D energy / +1D physical), vibro weapons are resisted with the full +2D for physical damage.

3) As far as I can tell it's just a very subtle vibration, a low humming noise.

4) Hummm. I'd say no. Flipping a switch right there at the handle is a free action that does not count.

5) Not quite sure what you meant, but a vibro-sword will not cut through walls like a lightsabre. It's better than a normal sword, but nowhere near as destructive as a lightsabre.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibro- is just a descriptor. It means there is a small motor in the hiltthat sends vibrations along the blade. The vibrations are very fast and narror, which lets them cut a little more easily through things (resulting in the higher damage rating they have over unpowered weapons). Other than having higher damage, they function exactly like normal weapons making a slight humm.

I suppose it's possible that if turned on and left sitting on a flat surface it may rattle and move like a cell phone set to vibrate Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

I suppose it's possible that if turned on and left sitting on a flat surface it may rattle and move like a cell phone set to vibrate Razz

I can see it now : All across the galaxy's movie theaters, people are being asked to turn off their vibroblades because it distracts the people around them
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, you can compare it to shaving with a vibro-razer (which we have now), hums like a mosquito and gives a nice shave.
Space Coyote
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read (or a former GM declared) that there is a switch to turn vibroblades on and off, and that most of the sheaths/scabbards are designed to flip the switch on when the weapon is drawn, and off again when re-sheathed. With the vibroblade switched off, I'd think the damage is reduced to that of a normal knife or sword.

Wouldn't flipping the switch count as an action? I thought switching a blaster between kill and stun was an action. Isn't this almost the same thing?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all:
Quote:
I can see it now : All across the galaxy's movie theaters, people are being asked to turn off their vibroblades because it distracts the people around them

Laughing That's funny.

Second:
Quote:
Wouldn't flipping the switch count as an action? I thought switching a blaster between kill and stun was an action. Isn't this almost the same thing?

Here's my thinking: switching between kill and stun is akward because the switch is on the barrel of the gun. You have to reach around or pull the blaster to you and flip it. The switch on a vibroblade would be like a flashlight- built into the handle for quick access.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Here's my thinking: switching between kill and stun is akward because the switch is on the barrel of the gun. You have to reach around or pull the blaster to you and flip it. The switch on a vibroblade would be like a flashlight- built into the handle for quick access.

I second that.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jmanski"]First of all:

Quote:

I've always assumed v-weapons don't have a "switch" per-say, but something more along the lines of a grip saftey you find on many automatic pistols. Simply gripping the hilt activates the weapon and releasing it deactivates it (unless you get yourself one of those fancy throwing models).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Coyote wrote:
I've also read (or a former GM declared) that there is a switch to turn vibroblades on and off, and that most of the sheaths/scabbards are designed to flip the switch on when the weapon is drawn, and off again when re-sheathed. With the vibroblade switched off, I'd think the damage is reduced to that of a normal knife or sword.

I thought that too, sice i always envisioned the switch being part of the weapon's safety. Which is always right there where your hand is.

Quote:
Here's my thinking: switching between kill and stun is akward because the switch is on the barrel of the gun

Do you have any source for that?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most blaster techical drawings I've seen seemed to place the stun switch somewhere on the side of the weapon, sort of like the safety switch.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Do you have any source for that?

Cracken's Rebel Field Guide page 63.
Galadinium's Fantastic Technology-Guns And Gear For Any Occasion page 78.

Of course both are just the schematic of the Blastech DL-44.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I had seen, the DL-44
Space Coyote
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it sounds like a free action on a vibroblade because the switch is where you can flip it with your "grip-hand" without releasing your grip, and a regular action with a blaster because your grip-hand can't reach the switch and you have to use your off-hand.

That sounds fair to me. Thanks, all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: